* Merging hammer in master: conflict on gmock
@ 2015-03-09 14:18 Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-03-09 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Al-Gaaf; +Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Danny,

As of now, git checkout master ; git merge origin/hammer gets a conflict on gmock

When we last discussed it you found that git merge -m 1 was a solution. But I'm not sure I fully understand the consequences.

Cheers

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

* Re: Merging hammer in master: conflict on gmock
@ 2015-03-09 17:31 ` Danny Al-Gaaf
From: Danny Al-Gaaf @ 2015-03-09 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Loic,

this one is a tricky one. I didn't find a smooth/automatic solution yet.

This seems to work:

git checkout master
git merge --no-ff origin/hammer
git mergetool
 -> for the conflict: select 'local' for src/gmock (this should keep
    the changes im master and ignore changes from hammer)
git commit

You may have to check if the result is what's intended.

Danny

@ 2015-03-09 23:06   ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-03-09 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Al-Gaaf; +Cc: Ceph Development

On 09/03/2015 18:31, Danny Al-Gaaf wrote:
> Hi Loic,
>
> this one is a tricky one. I didn't find a smooth/automatic solution yet.
>
> This seems to work:
>
> git checkout master
> git merge --no-ff origin/hammer
> git mergetool
>  -> for the conflict: select 'local' for src/gmock (this should keep
>     the changes im master and ignore changes from hammer)

Do you know what changes have been done in hammer in src/gmock ?

@ 2015-03-10  5:59     ` Danny Al-Gaaf
From: Danny Al-Gaaf @ 2015-03-10  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development

Am 10.03.2015 um 00:06 schrieb Loic Dachary:

> On 09/03/2015 18:31, Danny Al-Gaaf wrote:
>> Hi Loic,
>>
>> this one is a tricky one. I didn't find a smooth/automatic
>> solution yet.
>>
>> This seems to work:
>>
>> git checkout master git merge --no-ff origin/hammer git
>> mergetool -> for the conflict: select 'local' for src/gmock (this
>> should keep the changes im master and ignore changes from
>> hammer)
>
> Do you know what changes have been done in hammer in src/gmock ?

It seems as if there was no change to src/gmock in hammer that is not
already in master.

Danny

* Re: Merging hammer in master: conflict on gmock
@ 2015-03-10  8:02       ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-03-10  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Al-Gaaf; +Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Danny,

On 10/03/2015 06:59, Danny Al-Gaaf wrote:
> Am 10.03.2015 um 00:06 schrieb Loic Dachary:
>>

>> On 09/03/2015 18:31, Danny Al-Gaaf wrote:
>>> Hi Loic,
>>>
>>> this one is a tricky one. I didn't find a smooth/automatic
>>> solution yet.
>>>
>>> This seems to work:
>>>
>>> git checkout master git merge --no-ff origin/hammer git
>>> mergetool -> for the conflict: select 'local' for src/gmock (this
>>> should keep the changes im master and ignore changes from
>>> hammer)
>>
>> Do you know what changes have been done in hammer in src/gmock ?
>
> It seems as if there was no change to src/gmock in hammer that is not
> already in master.

After the set of commands you suggest, how could we make sure nothing was trashed or unintentionally included ? I can't think of a sure method from the top of my head.

Cheers

@ 2015-03-10 11:07         ` Danny Al-Gaaf
From: Danny Al-Gaaf @ 2015-03-10 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development

Am 10.03.2015 um 09:02 schrieb Loic Dachary:
> Hi Danny,
>
> On 10/03/2015 06:59, Danny Al-Gaaf wrote:
>> Am 10.03.2015 um 00:06 schrieb Loic Dachary:
[...]
>>> Do you know what changes have been done in hammer in src/gmock
>>> ?
>>
>> It seems as if there was no change to src/gmock in hammer that
>> is not already in master.
>
> After the set of commands you suggest, how could we make sure
> nothing was trashed or unintentionally included ? I can't think of
> a sure method from the top of my head.

Since these commands only trash/ignore the changes to src/gmock from
the hammer branch. And I guess there will be nothing for this
directory we need to merge back to master.

In fact the merge conflict is not about commits AFAICS but about the
change in master from inline to submodule code.

One possibility would always be to extract the patches from hammer
(git checkout hammer && git format-patch master), and check after the
merge if one is missing (e.g. run 'git am' until you have a patch that
can be applied).

I know this is not ideal ... IMO git is missing an automated way to
handle these kind of merge conflict.

Danny