* Angstrom for i.mx 6
@ 2015-03-05  4:14 ss infod
From: ss infod @ 2015-03-05  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Hello,

Is there a way to build the Angstrom distro for the i.mx 6. (Board:
Sabrelite (BD-SL-i.MX6) or Wandboard-quad) ?

I'm trying to follow the instructions from the link below but I don't see
the MACHINE 'imx6qsabrelite' or 'wandboard' in the list.
http://wp.angstrom-distribution.org/?page_id=53
https://gitorious.org/angstrom/openembedded/source/7e5ea0e6826d138349c40ff296e5b86cf46fead7:conf/machine

Since Angstrom is using OpenEmbedded can I use the machine configuration
from the "meta-fsl-extra" layer.

Would that work ?
If not, is there any plan from Freescale to add the i.mx configuration in
the Angstrom disto ?

Thanks
ssinfod

* Re: Angstrom for i.mx 6
@ 2015-03-05  7:38 ` Sven Ebenfeld
From: Sven Ebenfeld @ 2015-03-05  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ss infod, meta-freescale

Hello,

That is because the machines are in meta-fsl-arm
https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm/tree/master/conf/machine
or in meta-fsl-arm-extra
https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm-extra/tree/master/conf/machine

Cheers,
Sven

Am 05.03.2015 um 05:14 schrieb ss infod:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to build the Angstrom distro for the i.mx 6. (Board:
> Sabrelite (BD-SL-i.MX6) or Wandboard-quad) ?
>
> I'm trying to follow the instructions from the link below but I don't see
> the MACHINE 'imx6qsabrelite' or 'wandboard' in the list.
> http://wp.angstrom-distribution.org/?page_id=53
> https://gitorious.org/angstrom/openembedded/source/7e5ea0e6826d138349c40ff296e5b86cf46fead7:conf/machine
>
> Since Angstrom is using OpenEmbedded can I use the machine configuration
> from the "meta-fsl-extra" layer.
>
> Would that work ?
> If not, is there any plan from Freescale to add the i.mx configuration in
> the Angstrom disto ?
>
> Thanks
> ssinfod

* Re: Angstrom for i.mx 6
@ 2015-03-05 17:56   ` ss infod
From: ss infod @ 2015-03-05 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Ebenfeld, meta-freescale

Yes, I noticed that these machine configuration are there.

However, I don't know what are the steps to use these machines
configuration to build the angstrom distro ?

Do I simply perform a git checkout of the Angstrom distro.
git clone git://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/setup-scripts.git

Then another checkout of the meta-fsl-arm-extra

git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-fsl-arm-extra

Then, do you think I would be able to build the distro with the MACHINE=
'imx6qsabrelite' ?

Is that correct ?

Thanks for any input.
ssinfod.

Phil D

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 2:38 AM, Sven Ebenfeld <sven.ebenfeld@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> That is because the machines are in meta-fsl-arm
> https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm/tree/master/conf/machine
> or in meta-fsl-arm-extra
> https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm-extra/tree/master/conf/machine
>
> Cheers,
> Sven
>
> Am 05.03.2015 um 05:14 schrieb ss infod:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there a way to build the Angstrom distro for the i.mx 6. (Board:
> > Sabrelite (BD-SL-i.MX6) or Wandboard-quad) ?
> >
> > I'm trying to follow the instructions from the link below but I don't see
> > the MACHINE 'imx6qsabrelite' or 'wandboard' in the list.
> > http://wp.angstrom-distribution.org/?page_id=53
> >
> https://gitorious.org/angstrom/openembedded/source/7e5ea0e6826d138349c40ff296e5b86cf46fead7:conf/machine
> >
> > Since Angstrom is using OpenEmbedded can I use the machine configuration
> > from the "meta-fsl-extra" layer.
> >
> > Would that work ?
> > If not, is there any plan from Freescale to add the i.mx configuration
> in
> > the Angstrom disto ?
> >
> > Thanks
> > ssinfod

* Re: Angstrom for i.mx 6
@ 2015-03-05 18:05     ` Sven Ebenfeld
From: Sven Ebenfeld @ 2015-03-05 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ss infod, meta-freescale

Am 05.03.2015 um 18:56 schrieb ss infod:
> Yes, I noticed that these machine configuration are there.
>
> However, I don't know what are the steps to use these machines
> configuration to build the angstrom distro ?
>
> Do I simply perform a git checkout of the Angstrom distro.
> git clone git://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/setup-scripts.git
>
> Then another checkout of the meta-fsl-arm-extra
>
> git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-fsl-arm-extra

No, as stated in the manual you referred to, you need to run the
./oebb.sh script in setup-scripts. Before that, you should probably
checkout the angstrom-v2014.12-yocto1.7 branch (git checkout
angstrom-v2014.12-yocto1.7 in setup-scripts)

This script is creating config files for you and cloning the other layers.

Afterwards, you can find a script called something like
"environment-...". This script needs to be sourced (running: ".
./environment-...")  every time you open a new console to run the OE build.

After you got the environment running, you can just choose the machine,
by putting it in front of the bitbake command.

> Then, do you think I would be able to build the distro with the MACHINE=
> 'imx6qsabrelite' ?

After you have followed the manual, yes.

> Is that correct ?
>
> Thanks for any input.
> ssinfod.

Cheers,
Sven

From: Sven Ebenfeld @ 2015-03-05 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ss infod, meta-freescale

Am 05.03.2015 um 18:56 schrieb ss infod:
> Yes, I noticed that these machine configuration are there.
>
> However, I don't know what are the steps to use these machines
> configuration to build the angstrom distro ?
>
> Do I simply perform a git checkout of the Angstrom distro.
> git clone git://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/setup-scripts.git
>
> Then another checkout of the meta-fsl-arm-extra
>
> git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-fsl-arm-extra

No, as stated in the manual you referred to, you need to run the
./oebb.sh script in setup-scripts. Before that, you should probably
checkout the angstrom-v2014.12-yocto1.7 branch (git checkout
angstrom-v2014.12-yocto1.7 in setup-scripts)

This script is creating config files for you and cloning the other layers.

Afterwards, you can find a script called something like
"environment-...". This script needs to be sourced (running: ".
./environment-...")  every time you open a new console to run the OE build.

After you got the environment running, you can just choose the machine,
by putting it in front of the bitbake command.

> Then, do you think I would be able to build the distro with the MACHINE=
> 'imx6qsabrelite' ?

After you have followed the manual, yes.

> Is that correct ?
>
> Thanks for any input.
> ssinfod.

Cheers,
Sven

* Re: Angstrom for i.mx 6
@ 2015-03-08  5:26       ` ss infod
From: ss infod @ 2015-03-08  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Ebenfeld, meta-freescale

Thanks for your response. My image is building right now.

I have one more question related to Angstrom and Yocto/Poky:
 Is there any reason to use Angstrom instead of Yocto/Poky ?
 Is Angstrom outdated ?

 I'm looking for a embeded distro that has package management connected to
"public repository".  (I mean that I can install package like "apt-get
install xyz" from the target)
 I think Angstrom has public repository.. Is that right ?

The problem I have with yocto is that it seems there is no "public
repository". It seems you need to include the package in the build.
Is there any "public repostiory" that hosts packages for Yocto. (which can
be installed from the target post build)

Thanks
ssinfod

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Sven Ebenfeld <sven.ebenfeld@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am 05.03.2015 um 18:56 schrieb ss infod:
> > Yes, I noticed that these machine configuration are there.
> >
> > However, I don't know what are the steps to use these machines
> > configuration to build the angstrom distro ?
> >
> > Do I simply perform a git checkout of the Angstrom distro.
> > git clone git://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/setup-scripts.git
> >
> > Then another checkout of the meta-fsl-arm-extra
> >
> > git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-fsl-arm-extra
> >

> No, as stated in the manual you referred to, you need to run the
> ./oebb.sh script in setup-scripts. Before that, you should probably
> checkout the angstrom-v2014.12-yocto1.7 branch (git checkout
> angstrom-v2014.12-yocto1.7 in setup-scripts)
>
> This script is creating config files for you and cloning the other layers.
>
> Afterwards, you can find a script called something like
> "environment-...". This script needs to be sourced (running: ".
> ./environment-...")  every time you open a new console to run the OE build.
>
> After you got the environment running, you can just choose the machine,
> by putting it in front of the bitbake command.
>

> > Then, do you think I would be able to build the distro with the MACHINE=
> > 'imx6qsabrelite' ?
>
> After you have followed the manual, yes.
>

> > Is that correct ?
> >
> > Thanks for any input.
> > ssinfod.
> >

> Cheers,
> Sven

* Re: Angstrom for i.mx 6
@ 2015-03-09 17:35         ` Sven Ebenfeld
From: Sven Ebenfeld @ 2015-03-09 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ss infod, meta-freescale

Am 08.03.2015 um 06:26 schrieb ss infod:
> Thanks for your response. My image is building right now.
>
> I have one more question related to Angstrom and Yocto/Poky:
>  Is there any reason to use Angstrom instead of Yocto/Poky ?
>  Is Angstrom outdated ?

My experience is, that Angstrom is updated very quickly when new
releases of OpenEmbedded-layers are released. So I would not at all say
that Angstrom is outdated.

>  I'm looking for a embeded distro that has package management connected to
> "public repository".  (I mean that I can install package like "apt-get
> install xyz" from the target)
>  I think Angstrom has public repository.. Is that right ?

I've never used the public repositories as we are building only devices
with read-only rootfs and without package manager. So I can't give an
answer to this.

But one reason for me to decide for Angstrom was the online build system
which made it quite easy to get started.