* iw dev wlp1s0 scan hangs
@ 2015-03-11 20:17 German
From: German @ 2015-03-11 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi. When I try to run aformentioned command it hangs for about 20 secs and no output is returned. What's the problem might be? Thanks

--
German <gentgerman@gmail.com>

* Re: iw dev wlp1s0 scan hangs
@ 2015-03-11 20:25 ` Arend van Spriel
       [not found]   ` <20150311163353.74922db84fc618b3b9039515@gmail.com>
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2015-03-11 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: German; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 03/11/15 21:17, German wrote:
> Hi. When I try to run aformentioned command it hangs for about 20 secs and no output is returned. What's the problem might be? Thanks

any more details you can share? What kernel version, what specific
device is wlp1s0, do you have any kernel logging.

Regards,
Arend

* Re: iw dev wlp1s0 scan hangs
       [not found]   ` <20150311163353.74922db84fc618b3b9039515@gmail.com>
@ 2015-03-11 20:44     ` Arend van Spriel
       [not found]       ` <20150311170018.c2581ec2ddfb4589f5c8b154@gmail.com>
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2015-03-11 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: German; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 03/11/15 21:33, German wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 21:25:26 +0100
> Arend van Spriel<arend@broadcom.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 03/11/15 21:17, German wrote:
>>> Hi. When I try to run aformentioned command it hangs for about 20 secs and no output is returned. What's the problem might be? Thanks
>>
>> any more details you can share? What kernel version, what specific
>> device is wlp1s0, do you have any kernel logging.

When I wrote down the questions I was wondering how specifc I should be.
> Kernel 3.18.7-gentoo.

ok

> wlp1s0 is my network card.

Sure. I meant what brand and model.

Can you run following commands:
$ lspci
$ lsusb

> As for kernel logging, I simply don't know if I have it. Thanks

Ok. Can you run following command after aborting the hanging iw scan
command:

$ dmesg

Regards,
Arend

>> Regards,
>> Arend

* Re: iw dev wlp1s0 scan hangs
       [not found]           ` <20150311182146.bde39b79fad1e8cc61d6f4a0@gmail.com>
@ 2015-03-12  8:28             ` Arend van Spriel
       [not found]               ` <20150312045001.654f6b4706acdd9e9367caab@gmail.com>
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2015-03-12  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: German; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 03/11/15 23:21, German wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 22:17:38 +0100
> Arend van Spriel<arend@broadcom.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 03/11/15 22:00, German wrote:

>>> realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter

>>> Polling FW ready fail! Firmware is not ready to run.
>>>
>>> Ok, so I need some sort of firmware? That's what I thought. What is this and where can I find it in kernel when I compile it? Thanks
>>
>> Not familiar with Realtek equipment but it might be provided by the
>> linux-firmware package so:
>>
>> $ sudo emerge --ask linux-firmware
>>

> Thanks Arend. This did the trick. I can now scan networks and I found mine. But how I actually connect to my network? I guess it is encrypted, but I have wpa_supplicant installed.

Gentoo does not seem to provide NetworkManager as a solution. I found
this page [1]. Maybe it helps.

Regards,
Arend

[1]
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Parts/Networking/Wireless#Wireless_tools

>> Regards,
>> Arend

* Re: iw dev wlp1s0 scan hangs
       [not found]               ` <20150312045001.654f6b4706acdd9e9367caab@gmail.com>
@ 2015-03-12 11:09                 ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2015-03-12 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: German; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 03/12/15 09:50, German wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 09:28:38 +0100
> Arend van Spriel<arend@broadcom.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 03/11/15 23:21, German wrote:

>>> Thanks Arend. This did the trick. I can now scan networks and I found mine. But how I actually connect to my network? I guess it is encrypted, but I have wpa_supplicant installed.
>>
>> Gentoo does not seem to provide NetworkManager as a solution. I found
>> this page [1]. Maybe it helps.
>
> Thanks Arend for pointing me to this link. NetworkManager was proposed to me on gentoo mailing list as a way to control both wireless and wired interfaces. It pulled a bunch of dependencies, though I used -X flag in USE variable not to use X server. the compile took about an hour and after all this, my system became unstable. It doesn't at all feels right, it is clunky. For now I am building gentoo laptop in pure console mode, so from all my research, iw is the only CLI tool for wireless and I like the fact it doesn't need bunch of dependences. I already installed it and I like it, so would you be so kind to get me through a set up? Documentation seems confusing. Thanks

Well. iw is really for testing/debugging. Especially with WPA/RSN
networks that do periodic rekeying you need wpa_supplicant. It will do
the scanning on its own and establish connection and such.

You could also opt for using nmcli, but that might be what you tried
already.

I am no gentoo expert, but let's try to get this working. I am following
the wpa_supplicant section of the link I send earlier.

1. modify /etc/conf.d/net

Not sure if you only use wireless on the machine. Otherwise, you can
copy the attach conf.net file:

$ sudo cp conf.net /etc/conf.d/net

2. install wpa_supplicant configuration

Edit attached wpa_supplicant.conf with your ssid and psk and copy it:

$ sudo cp wpa_supplicant.conf /etc/wpa_supplicant

3. restart networking

$ sudo /etc/init.d/net restart

Not sure if step 3. is entirely correct regarding the script name. I
don't use Gentoo.

Regards,
Arend
>> Regards,
>> Arend
>>
>> [1]
>> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Parts/Networking/Wireless#Wireless_tools

[-- Attachment #2: conf.net --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 272 bytes --]

# Prefer wpa_supplicant over wireless-tools
modules="wpa_supplicant"

# It's important to tell wpa_supplicant which driver it should
# be using as it's not very good at guessing yet
wpa_supplicant_wlp1s0="-Dnl80211"

config_wlp1s0="dhcp"
dhcp_wlp1s0="release nontp nonis"

[-- Attachment #3: wpa_supplicant.conf --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 411 bytes --]

# The below line not be changed otherwise wpa_supplicant refuses to work
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

# Ensure that only root can read the WPA configuration
ctrl_interface_group=0

# Let wpa_supplicant take care of scanning and AP selection
ap_scan=1

# Simple case: WPA-PSK, PSK as an ASCII passphrase, allow all valid ciphers
network={
  ssid="simple"
  key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
  psk="your_passphrase"
}

* Re: iw dev wlp1s0 scan hangs
       [not found]               ` <20150312045001.654f6b4706acdd9e9367caab@gmail.com>
@ 2015-03-12 15:33               ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2015-03-12 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend van Spriel, German; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 03/12/2015 03:28 AM, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> On 03/11/15 23:21, German wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 22:17:38 +0100
>> Arend van Spriel<arend@broadcom.com>  wrote:

>>> Not familiar with Realtek equipment but it might be provided by the
>>> linux-firmware package so:
>>>
>>> $ sudo emerge --ask linux-firmware
>>>

>> Thanks Arend. This did the trick. I can now scan networks and I found mine.
>> But how I actually connect to my network? I guess it is encrypted, but I have
>> wpa_supplicant installed.
>
> Gentoo does not seem to provide NetworkManager as a solution. I found this page
> [1]. Maybe it helps.

Arend,

Thanks for handling this problem for a user with Realtek equipment. Apparently,
this user does not know about "Reply-All", thus I only saw their answers to your
questions in the material you quoted.

Larry

* Re: iw dev wlp1s0 scan hangs
@ 2015-03-12 17:04                   ` German
From: German @ 2015-03-12 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend van Spriel; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 12:09:02 +0100
Arend van Spriel <arend@broadcom.com> wrote:

> On 03/12/15 09:50, German wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 09:28:38 +0100
> > Arend van Spriel<arend@broadcom.com>  wrote:

> >> Gentoo does not seem to provide NetworkManager as a solution. I found
> >> this page [1]. Maybe it helps.
> >
> > Thanks Arend for pointing me to this link. NetworkManager was proposed to me on gentoo mailing list as a way to control both wireless and wired interfaces. It pulled a bunch of dependencies, though I used -X flag in USE variable not to use X server. the compile took about an hour and after all this, my system became unstable. It doesn't at all feels right, it is clunky. For now I am building gentoo laptop in pure console mode, so from all my research, iw is the only CLI tool for wireless and I like the fact it doesn't need bunch of dependences. I already installed it and I like it, so would you be so kind to get me through a set up? Documentation seems confusing. Thanks
>
> Well. iw is really for testing/debugging. Especially with WPA/RSN
> networks that do periodic rekeying you need wpa_supplicant. It will do
> the scanning on its own and establish connection and such.
>
> You could also opt for using nmcli, but that might be what you tried
> already.
>
> I am no gentoo expert, but let's try to get this working. I am following
> the wpa_supplicant section of the link I send earlier.

Are you advising not to use iw and go the wireless-tools package?

--

@ 2015-03-12 18:11                     ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2015-03-12 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: German; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 03/12/15 18:04, German wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 12:09:02 +0100
> Arend van Spriel<arend@broadcom.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 03/12/15 09:50, German wrote:

>>> Thanks Arend for pointing me to this link. NetworkManager was proposed to me on gentoo mailing list as a way to control both wireless and wired interfaces. It pulled a bunch of dependencies, though I used -X flag in USE variable not to use X server. the compile took about an hour and after all this, my system became unstable. It doesn't at all feels right, it is clunky. For now I am building gentoo laptop in pure console mode, so from all my research, iw is the only CLI tool for wireless and I like the fact it doesn't need bunch of dependences. I already installed it and I like it, so would you be so kind to get me through a set up? Documentation seems confusing. Thanks
>>
>> Well. iw is really for testing/debugging. Especially with WPA/RSN
>> networks that do periodic rekeying you need wpa_supplicant. It will do
>> the scanning on its own and establish connection and such.
>>
>> You could also opt for using nmcli, but that might be what you tried
>> already.
>>
>> I am no gentoo expert, but let's try to get this working. I am following
>> the wpa_supplicant section of the link I send earlier.
>
> Are you advising not to use iw and go the wireless-tools package?

Nope. Those are only useful for unprotected networks or WEP (which is
almost same as unprotected). The two options are wireless-tools or
wpa_supplicant. See below.

>> 1. modify /etc/conf.d/net
>>
>> Not sure if you only use wireless on the machine. Otherwise, you can
>> copy the attach conf.net file:
>>
>> $ sudo cp conf.net /etc/conf.d/net
>>
>> 2. install wpa_supplicant configuration
>>
>> Edit attached wpa_supplicant.conf with your ssid and psk and copy it:
>>
>> $ sudo cp wpa_supplicant.conf /etc/wpa_supplicant
>>
>> 3. restart networking
>>
>> $ sudo /etc/init.d/net restart
>>
>> Not sure if step 3. is entirely correct regarding the script name. I
>> don't use Gentoo.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Arend

* Re: iw dev wlp1s0 scan hangs
@ 2015-03-12 18:35                       ` German
From: German @ 2015-03-12 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend van Spriel; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 19:11:17 +0100
Arend van Spriel <arend@broadcom.com> wrote:

> On 03/12/15 18:04, German wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 12:09:02 +0100
> > Arend van Spriel<arend@broadcom.com>  wrote:

> >> Well. iw is really for testing/debugging. Especially with WPA/RSN
> >> networks that do periodic rekeying you need wpa_supplicant. It will do
> >> the scanning on its own and establish connection and such.
> >>
> >> You could also opt for using nmcli, but that might be what you tried
> >> already.
> >>
> >> I am no gentoo expert, but let's try to get this working. I am following
> >> the wpa_supplicant section of the link I send earlier.
> >
> > Are you advising not to use iw and go the wireless-tools package?
>
> Nope. Those are only useful for unprotected networks or WEP (which is
> almost same as unprotected). The two options are wireless-tools or
> wpa_supplicant. See below.

Ok. I will go with nmcli for now. I already configured it, so let it be. Here is good article about not-bloated wifi conf from command line:

http://www.blackmoreops.com/2014/09/18/connect-to-wifi-network-from-command-line-in-linux/

Thank you for your time and have a good evening/day

--
German <gentgerman@gmail.com>