* newbi Question: NMEA2000 and BeagleBone
@ 2015-03-26 13:36 vklein
       [not found] ` <3468382.ObYm91FbAa@heinz>
From: vklein @ 2015-03-26 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-can

Hi all,

I searched the list about using NMEA2000 ( a subclass of J1939) and a
BeageBone-black.

Are there some newer infos how to install J1939 support on the BBB?

Are there preferred transceiver boards? I Think I need only one interface.

At the moment I use a Actisense NTG-1 USB and a Raspberry pi with the
canboat software.

http://wiki.openseamap.org/wiki/OpenSeaMap-dev:HW-logger/raspberry

Regards

Victor

* Re: newbi Question: NMEA2000 and BeagleBone
       [not found]   ` <551432DB.8010406@arcor.de>
@ 2015-03-26 16:35     ` Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
From: Heinz-Jürgen Oertel @ 2015-03-26 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vklein; +Cc: linux-can

Am Donnerstag, 26. März 2015, 17:24:59 schrieb vklein:
> Am 26.03.2015 um 16:50 schrieb Heinz-Jürgen Oertel:
> > Am Donnerstag, 26. März 2015, 14:36:39 schrieb vklein:
> >> At the moment I use a Actisense NTG-1 USB and a Raspberry pi with the
> >> canboat software.
> >
> > It looks like the
> > Actisense NTG-1 USB
> > http://www.actisense.com/products/nmea-2000/ngt-1/ngt1-specs.html
> > is already a CAN interface and canboat can interprete the NMEA2000 PGNs.
> > What else do you need?
> > And if the software runs on the Raspberry it will run on the BeagleBone
too.

> The actisense-NTG1  is exactly the hardware I use.
> But its rather expensive (189 € ) and there may be another way to get
> the data.

There are many cheaper CAN USB interfaces.
And of course you can use the integrated CAN in the BeagleBone.
You have to add a transceiver and for system security galvanic isolation.

Because canboat is open source, it should be easy to adopt the SocketCAN or
can4linux CAN message format. In any case you don't need the J1939 software.
Only receiving NMEA frames is easy, decoding the PGNs requires knowledge of
it.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Heinz-Jürgen Oertel