* Nested Virt - Xen 4.4 through 4.6 - Hyper-V; Can't boot after enabling Hyper-V
@ 2015-04-07  1:42 mailing lists
  To: xen-devel

Hi --

I've been trying to get nested virtualization working with Xen so that I
could boot Windows and use Hyper-V related features, however I have not had
much success.  Using Windows 8.1 or Windows 2012r2, I'm able to install
Windows, select and install Hyper-V features, and start rebooting.
However, at that point, the Windows VM only partially boots, then drops me
to a screen stating:

Your PC needs to restart.
Please hold down the power button.
Error Code: 0x0000001E
Parameters:
0xFFFFFFFFC0000096
0xFFFFF80315430485
0x0000000000000000
0x0000000000000000

Restarting does not yield any different results.

I've set up Xen in accordance with the notes for patches and config options
here:

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Nested_Virtualization_in_Xen

Trying Xen 4.4.2 stable, 4.5.1 staging, and 4.6 staging.  I applied the
patch labeled (2/2) from the wiki link above, compiled, and used the three
options provided for the DomU running Windows (hap, nestedhvm, and cpuid
mask).  Windows installs and allows me to turn on HyperV features on all
versions of Xen listed above, however all give the same or similar message
on reboot... I'm never able to get to a running state.

I've tried this on two separate systems.  One has an Intel E5-1620 v2, and
the other is a n E5-1650 (original, v1 I guess).  All the virtualization
options are enabled in the BIOS.

If the cpuid mask is removed from the DomU config, Windows boots, however
I'm unable to start any virtual machines (there was a message in the
Windows event log about a component not being started in regards to Hyper
V).

Has anyone else run into similar issues?  Any thoughts on next steps?

From: George Dunlap @ 2015-04-07 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi --
>
> I've been trying to get nested virtualization working with Xen so that I
> could boot Windows and use Hyper-V related features, however I have not had
> much success.  Using Windows 8.1 or Windows 2012r2, I'm able to install
> Windows, select and install Hyper-V features, and start rebooting.  However,
> at that point, the Windows VM only partially boots, then drops me to a
> screen stating:
>
> Your PC needs to restart.
> Please hold down the power button.
> Error Code: 0x0000001E
> Parameters:
> 0xFFFFFFFFC0000096
> 0xFFFFF80315430485
> 0x0000000000000000
> 0x0000000000000000
>

> Restarting does not yield any different results.
>
> I've set up Xen in accordance with the notes for patches and config options
> here:
>
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Nested_Virtualization_in_Xen
>
> Trying Xen 4.4.2 stable, 4.5.1 staging, and 4.6 staging.  I applied the
> patch labeled (2/2) from the wiki link above, compiled, and used the three
> options provided for the DomU running Windows (hap, nestedhvm, and cpuid
> mask).  Windows installs and allows me to turn on HyperV features on all
> versions of Xen listed above, however all give the same or similar message
> on reboot... I'm never able to get to a running state.
>
> I've tried this on two separate systems.  One has an Intel E5-1620 v2, and
> the other is a n E5-1650 (original, v1 I guess).  All the virtualization
> options are enabled in the BIOS.
>
> If the cpuid mask is removed from the DomU config, Windows boots, however
> I'm unable to start any virtual machines (there was a message in the Windows
> event log about a component not being started in regards to Hyper V).
>
> Has anyone else run into similar issues?  Any thoughts on next steps?

CC'ing Liang Z to see if he has any ideas.

Liang, I'm pretty sure you guys are testing HyperV internally, right?

 -George

* Re: Nested Virt - Xen 4.4 through 4.6 - Hyper-V; Can't boot after enabling Hyper-V
@ 2015-04-07 16:19 ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2015-04-07 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/04/15 02:42, mailing lists wrote:
> Hi --
>
> I've been trying to get nested virtualization working with Xen so that
> I could boot Windows and use Hyper-V related features, however I have
> not had much success.  Using Windows 8.1 or Windows 2012r2, I'm able
> to install Windows, select and install Hyper-V features, and start
> rebooting.  However, at that point, the Windows VM only partially
> boots, then drops me to a screen stating:
>
> Your PC needs to restart.
> Please hold down the power button.
> Error Code: 0x0000001E
> Parameters:
> 0xFFFFFFFFC0000096
> 0xFFFFF80315430485
> 0x0000000000000000
> 0x0000000000000000
>

> Restarting does not yield any different results.
>
> I've set up Xen in accordance with the notes for patches and config
> options here:
>
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Nested_Virtualization_in_Xen
>
> Trying Xen 4.4.2 stable, 4.5.1 staging, and 4.6 staging.  I applied
> the patch labeled (2/2) from the wiki link above, compiled, and used
> the three options provided for the DomU running Windows (hap,
> nestedhvm, and cpuid mask).  Windows installs and allows me to turn on
> HyperV features on all versions of Xen listed above, however all give
> the same or similar message on reboot... I'm never able to get to a
> running state.
>
> I've tried this on two separate systems.  One has an Intel E5-1620 v2,
> and the other is a n E5-1650 (original, v1 I guess).  All the
> virtualization options are enabled in the BIOS.
>
> If the cpuid mask is removed from the DomU config, Windows boots,
> however I'm unable to start any virtual machines (there was a message
> in the Windows event log about a component not being started in
> regards to Hyper V).
>
> Has anyone else run into similar issues?  Any thoughts on next steps?

I am not aware of anyone who has successfully got a setup like this to work.

From
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557408%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

0x1E is KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

http://source.winehq.org/source/include/ntstatus.h suggests that
0xFFFFFFFFC0000096 is STATUS_PRIVILEGED_INSTRUCTION.

Your best bet for debugging this is to debug the minidump generated and
see which driver 0xFFFFF80315430485 is a part of, and perhaps exactly
what instruction 0xFFFFF80315430485 actually is.

~Andrew

* Re: Nested Virt - Xen 4.4 through 4.6 - Hyper-V; Can't boot after enabling Hyper-V
  To: Andrew Cooper; +Cc: xen-devel

Which portion of "this" is the unicorn?  Nested virtualization of Hyper-V
under Xen?  Or something else about my setup?

I did try to go down the path of evaluating a memory dump, however while
minidumps are enabled, they do not seem to be getting created on either of
my test systems when the message about needing to reboot is presented.

-- Bill

@ 2015-04-08 15:22   ` Li, Liang Z
From: Li, Liang Z @ 2015-04-08 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Hi --
> >
> > I've been trying to get nested virtualization working with Xen so that
> > I could boot Windows and use Hyper-V related features, however I have
> > not had much success.  Using Windows 8.1 or Windows 2012r2, I'm able
> > to install Windows, select and install Hyper-V features, and start
> > rebooting.  However, at that point, the Windows VM only partially
> > boots, then drops me to a screen stating:
> >
> > Your PC needs to restart.
> > Please hold down the power button.
> > Error Code: 0x0000001E
> > Parameters:
> > 0xFFFFFFFFC0000096
> > 0xFFFFF80315430485
> > 0x0000000000000000
> > 0x0000000000000000
> >

> > Restarting does not yield any different results.
> >
> > I've set up Xen in accordance with the notes for patches and config
> > options
> > here:
> >
> > http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Nested_Virtualization_in_Xen
> >
> > Trying Xen 4.4.2 stable, 4.5.1 staging, and 4.6 staging.  I applied
> > the patch labeled (2/2) from the wiki link above, compiled, and used
> > the three options provided for the DomU running Windows (hap,
> > nestedhvm, and cpuid mask).  Windows installs and allows me to turn on
> > HyperV features on all versions of Xen listed above, however all give
> > the same or similar message on reboot... I'm never able to get to a running
> state.
> >
> > I've tried this on two separate systems.  One has an Intel E5-1620 v2,
> > and the other is a n E5-1650 (original, v1 I guess).  All the
> > virtualization options are enabled in the BIOS.
> >
> > If the cpuid mask is removed from the DomU config, Windows boots,
> > however I'm unable to start any virtual machines (there was a message
> > in the Windows event log about a component not being started in regards
> to Hyper V).
> >
> > Has anyone else run into similar issues?  Any thoughts on next steps?
>

> CC'ing Liang Z to see if he has any ideas.
>
> Liang, I'm pretty sure you guys are testing HyperV internally, right?

+ Yang Z.      Sorry, I know little about that.   May be Yang can give you some help.

Liang