* dizzy branch
@ 2015-04-08 21:54 Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2015-04-08 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

Is there going to be a dizzy branch to meta-ti?

* Re: dizzy branch
@ 2015-04-08 23:14 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2015-04-08 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there going to be a dizzy branch to meta-ti?

is some change in OE-core master asking for it ?

* Re: dizzy branch
@ 2015-04-09 13:03   ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2015-04-09 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: meta-ti

On 15-04-08 07:14 PM, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there going to be a dizzy branch to meta-ti?
> is some change in OE-core master asking for it ?

I thought it was traditional to "draw a line in the sand" and say "when
dizzy was released, this is how this layer looked".

Having a branch named dizzy, I think, would make it easier to base work
on a given release. Let's say you release a product based on dizzy and a
year from now you want to perform a fresh build on a new machine for
your product. Clone all the required repositories and then checkout the
dizzy branch in all of them?

Also, sometimes nobody notices that a change will affect a given release
until months later. So although nothing is obviously asking for it,
maybe some changes are causing issues we won't notice until months from now?

* Re: dizzy branch
@ 2015-04-09 21:57     ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2015-04-09 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: meta-ti

On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 09:03:03AM -0400, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> On 15-04-08 07:14 PM, Khem Raj wrote:
> >On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>Is there going to be a dizzy branch to meta-ti?
> >is some change in OE-core master asking for it ?
>
> I thought it was traditional to "draw a line in the sand" and say
> "when dizzy was released, this is how this layer looked".
>
> Having a branch named dizzy, I think, would make it easier to base
> work on a given release. Let's say you release a product based on
> dizzy and a year from now you want to perform a fresh build on a new
> machine for your product. Clone all the required repositories and
> then checkout the dizzy branch in all of them?
>
> Also, sometimes nobody notices that a change will affect a given
> release until months later. So although nothing is obviously asking
> for it, maybe some changes are causing issues we won't notice until
> months from now?

All good points. But as Khem said, there are no differences between master and
dizzy/fido from meta-ti perspective. The thing is, we still have few of our
products based on Daisy and being actively developed, hence I have to maintain
Daisy as well as master. If you check the logs, you'd notice that I have to
push same patches to both daisy and master branches (although there were some
subtle changes between them, due to low-level framework changes in OE-core).
If you insist on creating dizzy branch, it won't be updated. Which is probably
fine, as it would be expected to be "stable" w/o new features, but with
bugfixes. And considering that daisy gets new features, it would be rather
strange...

BTW, we plan to migrate our products to Fido in the near future, so basically
we are tracking Spring Yocto releases - Denzil, Dylan, Daisy, Fido, etc. So,
there will be fido branch at some point and I will stop accepting new features
into daisy...

--
Denys

* Re: dizzy branch
@ 2015-04-10 18:33       ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2015-04-10 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-ti

On 15-04-09 05:57 PM, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> BTW, we plan to migrate our products to Fido in the near future, so
> basically we are tracking Spring Yocto releases - Denzil, Dylan,
> Daisy, Fido, etc. So, there will be fido branch at some point and I
> will stop accepting new features into daisy...

Great, thanks for the explanation!

* Re: dizzy branch
@ 2014-11-12 18:15 ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2014-11-12 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cliff Brake; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 09:56:43AM -0500, Cliff Brake wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is a dizzy branch planed for meta-ti?

It is planned, but:
1. The release is not even out yet (-rc2 now).
2. There are no differences against master for now.

--
Denys

* dizzy branch
@ 2014-11-12 14:56 Cliff Brake