* Heap Management Problem
@ 2015-04-14 15:01 慕冬亮
From: 慕冬亮 @ 2015-04-14 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello Everyone:
      What's the rule about heap management? Especially what's the function
of do_brk?

mudongliang
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Heap Management Problem
@ 2015-04-14 16:00 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2015-04-14 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 23:01:58 +0800, ????????? said:

> Hello Everyone:
>       What's the rule about heap management? Especially what's the function
> of do_brk?

Who says there's a "rule" about it? Some userspace heap managers don't
even *use* brk() or sbrk(), but instead use mmap() of an anonymous area.
Can you give a detail of what you want to prove?
I am not familiar with heap management , so I ask for the details!
mudongliang

@ 2015-04-15  6:25     ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2015-04-15  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 12:28:06 +0800, ????????? said:

> Can you give a detail of what you want to prove?
> I am not familiar with heap management , so I ask for the details!

As I said - heap management is usually mostly done in userspace.  The way the
standard glibc malloc() call does things is almost certainly different from the
way other C libraries such as uClibc or klibc or dietlibc do it.  Then there's
a number of debugging malloc() packages, and so on.

The only way the kernel gets involved is when the userspace malloc() library
decides to call brk(), sbrk(), or mmap().

> Can you give a detail of what you want to prove?
> I am not familiar with heap management , so I ask for the details!
> mudongliang

>> On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 23:01:58 +0800, ??? said:
>>
>>> Hello Everyone:
>>>       What's the rule about heap management? Especially what's the
>> function
>>> of do_brk?
>>
>> Who says there's a "rule" about it? Some userspace heap managers don't
>> even *use* brk() or sbrk(), but instead use mmap() of an anonymous area.

To the OP, what in your mind is a Heap?

Ruben

* Heap Management Problem
       [not found]       ` <CAD-N9QU+w4ibhKMnR8amwcuu8XfQ+dnd9czaqos9WPT9Ei8eYg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2015-04-15  9:37         ` Ruben Safir
From: Ruben Safir @ 2015-04-15  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 05:10:05PM +0800, ??? wrote:
> IMO, heap , stack , code ,data  and so on constitute the process address
> space!
> heap
>
> stack
> data
> code
> So I only point to this heap !

That is not nearly complete.  The Heap a memory structure attahced to
the processor control record that has pointers to areas in the memory
which are defined ad hoc in user space and are not defined in the PCR.

I can be wrong though.

Heaps can be allorthims which are nearly complete binrary trees with
values stored at nodes.

FWIW, that is tonights class for me...

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!