* [linux-lvm] Booting through LVM. Possible ?
@ 2015-04-16 17:37 georges.giralt
From: georges.giralt @ 2015-04-16 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Hello !
I've got this new laptop which has a traditional disk and an M.2 NGFF SSD disk. So for the first time I'll plan to use LVM on a laptop. (I constantly use LVM at work on bare metal or virtual systems).
The disk of my laptop is 4K sector size, GPT partitioned with an EFI partition for some utilities and Windows boot, and the SSD can be partitioned.
As I plan to install a very recent Ubuntu LTS release I wonder is I still need a plain partition for the /boot or if current Grub version can handle /boot out of an lvm lv ?
I've seen a lot of negative answer so I ask "at the source" ;-)
Thank you in advance for your answer.

* Re: [linux-lvm] Booting through LVM. Possible ?
@ 2015-04-17  8:15 ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2015-04-17  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Dne 16.4.2015 v 19:37 georges.giralt@free.fr napsal(a):
> Hello !
> I've got this new laptop which has a traditional disk and an M.2 NGFF SSD disk. So for the first time I'll plan to use LVM on a laptop. (I constantly use LVM at work on bare metal or virtual systems).
> The disk of my laptop is 4K sector size, GPT partitioned with an EFI partition for some utilities and Windows boot, and the SSD can be partitioned.
> As I plan to install a very recent Ubuntu LTS release I wonder is I still need a plain partition for the /boot or if current Grub version can handle /boot out of an lvm lv ?
> I've seen a lot of negative answer so I ask "at the source" ;-)
> Thank you in advance for your answer.

I'd strongly recommend to use separate  /boot partition.

Lvm2 does not support grub - although some distributions pretends so and in
some cases, like plain linear volume, it somehow works...

Zdenek

* Re: [linux-lvm] Booting through LVM. Possible ?
@ 2015-04-17 15:37   ` Georges Giralt
From: Georges Giralt @ 2015-04-17 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Thank you Zdenek. You confirm what I thought.
As this is my machine, it is not for experimenting. ;-)
So I'll make an EXT4 formated /boot primary partition and use everything
else for LVM .....

Le 17/04/2015 10:15, Zdenek Kabelac a �crit :
> Dne 16.4.2015 v 19:37 georges.giralt@free.fr napsal(a):
>> Hello !
>> I've got this new laptop which has a traditional disk and an M.2 NGFF
>> SSD disk. So for the first time I'll plan to use LVM on a laptop. (I
>> constantly use LVM at work on bare metal or virtual systems).
>> The disk of my laptop is 4K sector size, GPT partitioned with an EFI
>> partition for some utilities and Windows boot, and the SSD can be
>> partitioned.
>> As I plan to install a very recent Ubuntu LTS release I wonder is I
>> still need a plain partition for the /boot or if current Grub version
>> can handle /boot out of an lvm lv ?
>> I've seen a lot of negative answer so I ask "at the source" ;-)
>> Thank you in advance for your answer.
>
> I'd strongly recommend to use separate  /boot partition.
>
> Lvm2 does not support grub - although some distributions pretends so
> and in some cases, like plain linear volume, it somehow works...
>
> Zdenek

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
                 Abraham Maslow
A British variant :
Any tool can serve as a hammer but a screwdriver makes the best chisel.