* bug report : 2.3.5  ssh repo not found
@ 2015-04-25  5:57 Chris
From: Chris @ 2015-04-25  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello,

Using git version 2.3.5 with kernel 3.19.3-3-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT x86_64
I see the following error message when pulling or cloning a repo over ssh:

"""
git clone ssh://user@mydomain:/home/user/path/to/project.git
Cloning into 'project'...
ssh: Could not resolve hostname mydomain:: Name or service not known

and the repository exists.
"""

Obviously I changed the url to hide credential info

After ensuring DNS was OK and being able to ssh to that instance
directly I tried downgrading git to my distro's last installed version
of git version 2.2.2 and now I can clone / pull / push to/from that repo
without issue.

Is this a bug?

Best,
Chris

* Re: bug report : 2.3.5 ssh repo not found
@ 2015-04-25  6:04 ` Bryan Turner
From: Bryan Turner @ 2015-04-25  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris; +Cc: Git Users

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Chris <chrisb.duck@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using git version 2.3.5 with kernel 3.19.3-3-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT x86_64 I
> see the following error message when pulling or cloning a repo over ssh:
>
> """
> git clone ssh://user@mydomain:/home/user/path/to/project.git
> Cloning into 'project'...
> ssh: Could not resolve hostname mydomain:: Name or service not known
>
> Please make sure you have the correct access rights
> and the repository exists.
> """

I believe that's [1]

Remove the : between the domain and the path and it should work, per
Jeff King [2]

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/266649
[2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/266659

@ 2015-04-25 21:34 ` Torsten Bögershausen
From: Torsten Bögershausen @ 2015-04-25 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris, git

On 2015-04-25 07.57, Chris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using git version 2.3.5 with kernel 3.19.3-3-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT x86_64 I see the following error message when pulling or cloning a repo over ssh:
>
> """
> git clone ssh://user@mydomain:/home/user/path/to/project.git
> Cloning into 'project'...
> ssh: Could not resolve hostname mydomain:: Name or service not known
>
> Please make sure you have the correct access rights
> and the repository exists.
> """
>
> Obviously I changed the url to hide credential info
>
> After ensuring DNS was OK and being able to ssh to that instance directly I tried downgrading git to my distro's last installed version of git version 2.2.2 and now I can clone / pull / push to/from that repo without issue.
>
> Is this a bug?
>
> Best,
> Chris

It's a know issue/bug, sorry for the inconvenience.

There are 2 options:
Either:

change the URL
git clone ssh://user@mydomain:/home/user/path/to/project.git
into
git clone ssh://user@mydomain/home/user/path/to/project.git

(In other words, remove the ':' after the hostname)

Or
Compile Git yourself from the latest git.git/master, which has this fix:

commit 9718c7c0c2a92585729d0f2e05ebf2c44b0cc56a
Merge: a59ac46 6b6c5f7
Author: Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>
Date:   Mon Apr 20 15:28:33 2015 -0700

    Merge branch 'tb/connect-ipv6-parse-fix'

    An earlier update to the parser that disects an address broke an
    address, followed by a colon, followed by an empty string (instead
    of the port number).

    * tb/connect-ipv6-parse-fix:
      connect.c: ignore extra colon after hostname