* Re: Mystique SaTiX-S2 Sky V2 USB (DVBSKY S960 clone) - Linux driver.
       [not found] <55439450.1080206@shic.co.uk>
@ 2015-05-02  1:32 ` P. van Gaans
From: P. van Gaans @ 2015-05-02  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

On 05/01/2015 04:57 PM, Steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying a direct mail to you as you are associated with this page:
>
>      http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-S2_USB_Devices
>
> I have bought a Mystique SaTiX-S2 Sky V2 USB (DVBSKY S960 clone) - but
> it doesn't work with my 3.19 kernel, which I'd assumed it would from the
> above page.
>
> I've tried asking about the problem in various ways - first to "AskUbuntu":
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/613406/absent-frontend0-with-usb-dvbsky-s960-s860-driver-bug
>

> ... and, more recently, on the Linux-Media mailing list.  Without
> convincing myself that I've contacted the right person/people to give
> constructive feedback.
>
> By any chance can you offer me some advice about who it is best to
> approach?  (Obviously I'd also be grateful if you can shed any light on
> this problem.)
>
> Steve

Hi Steve,

The page actually states "Support in-kernel is expected in Linux kernel
3.18.". Devil's advocate, but it doesn't say it's actually there or
guarantees it ever will. At the time it was written, 3.18 wasn't out
yet. Looking at your dmesg output however it seems your kernel is aware
of the device. (so the patch made it) As for me, I was offered a bargain
for another device so I have no S960.

Linux-media mailing list is the right place. (and here we are) A few
quick suggestions:

Did you really, really, really get the right firmware and are you
absolutely positive it's in the right location and has the right
filename? Does dmesg mention the firmware being loaded?

Get/compile the latest v4l-dvb sources.
(http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers)
Maybe it's just a bug that has already been fixed.

Try another program to access the device. But if even lsusb hangs, this
is pretty much moot.

Make sure the power supply/device is functioning properly. Try it on
another OS to make sure it's not defective.

Try another computer, preferably with another chipset. If your RAM is
faulty or you have a funky USB-controller, you can experience strange
problems.

Good luck!

Best regards,

P. van Gaans

* Re: Mystique SaTiX-S2 Sky V2 USB (DVBSKY S960 clone) - Linux driver.
@ 2015-05-03  7:44   ` Olli Salonen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Olli Salonen @ 2015-05-03  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi Steve,

I've got the device in question and can confirm that it works ok.

lsusb definitely should work ok - maybe there's indeed something wrong
with your device. As suggested by P. van Gaans, maybe you can try your
device on another computer or even on Windows and see if it works
there.

Cheers,
-olli

@ 2015-05-06 16:50     ` Steve
       [not found]     ` <554A449C.4090101@shic.co.uk>
From: Steve @ 2015-05-06 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi, thanks for your help so far...

It's taken a few days - but I've now tried a variety of things without
arriving at any resolution.

Prior to posting, I had not downloaded any firmware.

I placed the firmware from
http://www.dvbsky.net/download/linux/dvbsky-firmware.tar.gz into
/lib/firmware... I rebooted - the only difference I discovered is that,
this time, my keyboard and mouse stopped working when the SaTiX device
was plugged in.  Investigating syslog (after a reboot) suggested the
error messages (previously posted) remained.

I downloaded and built the latest v4l-dvb sources.  The upshot was that
the device returned to failing as in my original post (i.e. without
stopping my keyboard/mouse from working.)

I tried several USB cables - no improvement.

I hooked the SaTiX device up to a modern, Dell, Windows 8.1 laptop.
Windows recognised the device as an S960, but was not able to
(automatically) determine any drivers for it.  (I have no windows
software for this device.)

I installed Ubuntu onto a VirtualBox instance, and configured it to use
the SaTiX.  At first, I thought I'd made progress as lsusb worked...
however I quickly discovered an error message:

         dvb_usb_v2: this USB2.0 device cannot be run on a USB1.1 port
(it lacks a hardware PID filter)

Having installed the extension pack for VirtualBox (to support virtual
USB 2.0) the SaTiX device behaved identically to on the original (Ubuntu
native) PC - i.e. the same errors in dmesg and lsusb fails to work after
the device has been attached.

The only new information that I have are the device diagnostics from
Windows - the device reports:

        Bestunar S960                            <--  I was surprised
        not to see "SaTiX" here.
        Vendor ID : 0572
        Product ID : 6831
        Version : 0000
        Revision : 20130511

The green light, on the front of the device, only comes on once Linux
has recognised the device...

Can anyone offer any other advice?  Have I been sent a different
Sky-S960 clone to the one I ordered?

@ 2015-05-08  1:50       ` P. van Gaans
From: P. van Gaans @ 2015-05-08  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve, linux-media; +Cc: Olli Salonen

Olli, what kernel version/v4l-dvb are you running? (I want to update the
wiki)

Steve, you can download Windows software from
http://www.dvbsky.net/Support_win.html. It looks like the device should
work with the driver+player.

Bestunar doesn't sound like something to worry about. Seems to be a
sub-brand of DVBsky or something. Since the device works for Olli and
yours is misbehaving the same way on a different system (I understand
you installed Ubuntu in VirtualBox on the Dell) it's probably time to
try and run it on Windows native to verify the device itself isn't
simply a DOA.

Warning, Windows talk:

If you're not allowed (or don't want) to install drivers/software on the
host OS for the Dell laptop but you can use USB 2.0 in VirtualBox, you
may be able to just install Windows in VirtualBox. You can just take
Windows 7 installation media (don't enter any serial) or Windows 8.1
(with public trial key) or Windows 10 preview (public) and install that
in VirtualBox. When it's expired (30 days for 7, instantly for 8.1)
it'll just nag you, make the background black (actually an improvement)
and maybe disables some advanced features, but all essential functions
you need to troubleshoot the device will work.

To get media:

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/70-windows-8-x-and-windows-10-iso-direct-download-links

For Windows 10, just get the preview, completely legal. For Windows 8.1,
use the MS media creation tool on the Dell laptop. As you don't have to
download from any illegal source, don't activate and enter a trial
serial this generally won't get you into trouble. (but when in doubt,
ask your lawyer) For Windows 7 you may not be able to legally obtain a
copy of the installation media. If you go down that route, check the
hash against hashes as released by MS.

If the device works on Windows, try to get the same system Olli has.
(distro/kernel) If that doesn't work, it would be nice if you could
provide a photograph of the inside of your device (but this could void
your warranty) as perhaps it really is a new revision.

If the system Olli uses works for you, we need to find the difference
between the systems.

Best regards,

P. van Gaans.

On 05/06/2015 06:43 PM, Steve wrote:
> [...]
>>> absolutely
>>> positive it's in the right location and has the right filename? Does
>>> dmesg
>>> mention the firmware being loaded?
>>>
>>> Get/compile the latest v4l-dvb sources.
>>> (http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers)
>>>
>>> Maybe it's just a bug that has already been fixed.
>>>
>>> Try another program to access the device. But if even lsusb hangs,
>>> this is
>>> pretty much moot.
>>>
>>> Make sure the power supply/device is functioning properly. Try it on
>>> another
>>> OS to make sure it's not defective.
>>>
>>> Try another computer, preferably with another chipset. If your RAM is
>>> faulty
>>> or you have a funky USB-controller, you can experience strange problems.

* Re: Re: Mystique SaTiX-S2 Sky V2 USB (DVBSKY S960 clone) - Linux driver.
       [not found]     ` <554A449C.4090101@shic.co.uk>
@ 2015-05-08  2:26     ` Nibble Max
From: Nibble Max @ 2015-05-08  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve; +Cc: linux-media

Hello Steve,

Could you try the following methods?

1> Could you try to install the media code from dvbsky.net?
http://www.dvbsky.net/download/linux/media_build-bst-150322.tar.gz

2> You can download the driver and software for windows from dvbsky.net and test to confirm the device is working properly or not.
driver: http://www.dvbsky.net/download/usb-drv/DVBSky_USB_20150326.zip
software: http://www.dvbsky.net/download/software/dvbsky-setup-140715.zip

Best Regards,
Max