* new release of py80211 - v1.0-alpha
@ 2015-05-15 18:38 Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2015-05-15 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless, Luciano Coelho

Recently got triggered by Luca and with some free time to spare extended
the functionality in py80211. It is still mostly about retrieving
information although it also supports scanning now dealing with
notifications from the scan multicast group. It has been a fun week
puzzling on some hurdles. Hopefully I can keep spending more time on
this personal project and keep momentum.

The project can be found on github and the release notes are here [1].

Regards,
Arend

[1] https://github.com/arend/py80211/releases/tag/py80211-v1.0-alpha

* Re: new release of py80211 - v1.0-alpha
@ 2015-05-15 19:17 ` Luca Coelho
From: Luca Coelho @ 2015-05-15 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend van Spriel; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Fri, 2015-05-15 at 20:38 +0200, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> Recently got triggered by Luca and with some free time to spare extended
> the functionality in py80211. It is still mostly about retrieving
> information although it also supports scanning now dealing with
> notifications from the scan multicast group. It has been a fun week
> puzzling on some hurdles. Hopefully I can keep spending more time on
> this personal project and keep momentum.
>
> The project can be found on github and the release notes are here [1].

This is very cool! I was trying your updates for scanning today and it
works great! I already started converting my test modules to use it.

I know the hurdles you were talking about, I had gone through a few of
them, but I was just hacking through, with much less class. ;)

I hope I'll be able to start contributing to your project in the near
future.

Big thanks for getting momentum from my quick query about the state of
the your project. :)

--
Luca.

* Re: new release of py80211 - v1.0-alpha
@ 2015-05-16 11:15   ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2015-05-16 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Coelho; +Cc: Arend van Spriel, linux-wireless

On 05/15/15 21:17, Luca Coelho wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-05-15 at 20:38 +0200, Arend van Spriel wrote:
>> Recently got triggered by Luca and with some free time to spare extended
>> the functionality in py80211. It is still mostly about retrieving
>> information although it also supports scanning now dealing with
>> notifications from the scan multicast group. It has been a fun week
>> puzzling on some hurdles. Hopefully I can keep spending more time on
>> this personal project and keep momentum.
>>
>> The project can be found on github and the release notes are here [1].
>
> This is very cool! I was trying your updates for scanning today and it
> works great! I already started converting my test modules to use it.
>
> I know the hurdles you were talking about, I had gone through a few of
> them, but I was just hacking through, with much less class. ;)
>
> I hope I'll be able to start contributing to your project in the near
> future.
>
> Big thanks for getting momentum from my quick query about the state of
> the your project. :)

Thanks, Luca

I wrote a couple of wiki pages on github about adding stuff to py80211
package. I started this project with automated testing in mind so I can
ultimately replace our current testing stuff, which is focused on the
prorietary drivers using ioctl-based wl utility, with one using the
nl80211 api.

Regards,
Arend