* [RFC] Driver for Arduino-as-I2C-adapter
@ 2015-05-18  9:41 Bernhard Kraft
From: Bernhard Kraft @ 2015-05-18  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: driverdev-devel

Hi,

For a project I needed to communicate with external hardware via the I2C
protocol. I took a look at the existing drivers in the linux kernel
source "drivers/i2c/busses".

Instead of buying yet another interface dongle (this time for I2C) I
decided to use an Arduino with an apropriate sketch as I2C adapter.

Currently I access the I2C adapter (Arduino) via a custom program
reading/writing to /dev/ttyACM0.

Do you think it would make sense to add an I2C driver to the Linux
kernel for an "Arduino as I2C adapter" solution?

Or could you propose another solution? Maybe just an "external" module
like the nvidia kernel module?

greetings,
Bernhard
--
Wer nicht gelegentlich auch einmal kausalwidrige Dinge zu denken vermag,
wird seine Wissenschaft nie um eine neue Idee bereichern können.

* Re: [RFC] Driver for Arduino-as-I2C-adapter
@ 2015-05-18 13:00 ` Alex Beregszaszi
From: Alex Beregszaszi @ 2015-05-18 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernhard Kraft; +Cc: driverdev-devel

Hi Bernhard,

There are many cheap I2C adapter projects (mostly USB though). One of
the simple ones (i2c-tiny-usb) is included in the kernel, while LinkM
(https://github.com/todbot/LinkM) stayed userspace.

As regarding to cheap serial line based adapters, there are two I have
seen before
(http://www.gedanken.org.uk/electronics/rs232-converters/i2c.html and
http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/acatalog/USB_I2C.html) and both
define a different protocol.

Personally I would suggest to try follow one of those protocols to avoid
creating a new one and would be happy to see an open sourced Arduino
sketch as well.

I am afraid handling serial devices within a i2c kernel driver might be
tricky and purists probably dislike the idea.

Best,
Alex

@ 2015-05-18 16:53   ` Bernhard Kraft
From: Bernhard Kraft @ 2015-05-18 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: driverdev-devel

Hi,

On 2015-05-18 15:00, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:

> There are many cheap I2C adapter projects (mostly USB though). One of
> the simple ones (i2c-tiny-usb) is included in the kernel  [...]

I knew of the OpenSource project i2c-tiny-usb. But sadly the hardware
ist not sold anywhere (At least I didn't find vendors).

> As regarding to cheap serial line based adapters, there are two I have
> seen before [...]

None of them seems to have kernel drivers available. So I could stick to
my own homebrewn Arduino solution.

> I am afraid handling serial devices within a i2c kernel driver might be
> tricky and purists probably dislike the idea.

Currently there is at least one driver for such a case already in the
kernel: drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-taos-evm.c

I found it by "grep serio.h" in i2c/busses/. But this driver rather only
supports SMBus which is kind of subset of I2C. Or you could call it I2C
with more strict requirements upon timing and protocol.

In fact this would have been the driver I would have based my work on if
someone said: Go on, this is a good thing to include in the kernel.

But for now I think I will just publish the Arduino sketch and a sample
implementation on how to access I2C devices with it.

greetings,
Bernhard
--

@ 2015-05-19  5:38     ` Angelo Compagnucci
       [not found]       ` <555B2594.2030008@rtfs.hu>
From: Angelo Compagnucci @ 2015-05-19  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernhard Kraft; +Cc: driverdev-devel

Dear Bernhard Kraft,

> On 2015-05-18 15:00, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
>
>> There are many cheap I2C adapter projects (mostly USB though). One of
>> the simple ones (i2c-tiny-usb) is included in the kernel  [...]
>

> I knew of the OpenSource project i2c-tiny-usb. But sadly the hardware ist
> not sold anywhere (At least I didn't find vendors).
>

>> As regarding to cheap serial line based adapters, there are two I have
>> seen before [...]
>

> None of them seems to have kernel drivers available. So I could stick to my
> own homebrewn Arduino solution.
>

>> I am afraid handling serial devices within a i2c kernel driver might be
>> tricky and purists probably dislike the idea.
>

> Currently there is at least one driver for such a case already in the
> kernel: drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-taos-evm.c
>
> I found it by "grep serio.h" in i2c/busses/. But this driver rather only
> supports SMBus which is kind of subset of I2C. Or you could call it I2C with
> more strict requirements upon timing and protocol.
>
> In fact this would have been the driver I would have based my work on if
> someone said: Go on, this is a good thing to include in the kernel.

Personally, I find the idea very interesting, Arduino is so common
that using it a usb/i2c bridge could benefit really a lot of people.
Actually I'm think also to spi!

> But for now I think I will just publish the Arduino sketch and a sample
> implementation on how to access I2C devices with it.

Probably we should stick to other protocol driver implementation, but
from a rapid analisys, this will be the second in kernel serial to i2c
adapter, so I think there is not such a string standard protocol in
this field.

Please publish your sketch, I think making the driver is really not a
complex matter!
Count on me for any help, I really like the idea to have my name on
such an interesting project!

Sincerely, Angelo

> greetings,
> Bernhard
> --
> Wer nicht gelegentlich auch einmal kausalwidrige Dinge zu denken vermag,
> wird seine Wissenschaft nie um eine neue Idee bereichern können.
> Max Planck (1858-1947)

Profile: http://it.linkedin.com/in/compagnucciangelo

* Re: [RFC] Driver for Arduino-as-I2C-adapter
@ 2015-05-19 12:20       ` Alex Beregszaszi
       [not found]       ` <555B2594.2030008@rtfs.hu>
From: Alex Beregszaszi @ 2015-05-19 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Compagnucci; +Cc: Bernhard Kraft, driverdev-devel

Hi,

Angelo Compagnucci wrote:
> Dear Bernhard Kraft,

>> But for now I think I will just publish the Arduino sketch and a sample
>> implementation on how to access I2C devices with it.
>
> Probably we should stick to other protocol driver implementation, but
> from a rapid analisys, this will be the second in kernel serial to i2c
> adapter, so I think there is not such a string standard protocol in
> this field.
>
> Please publish your sketch, I think making the driver is really not a
> complex matter!
> Count on me for any help, I really like the idea to have my name on
> such an interesting project!
I have  worked on some I2C drivers for Linux, as well as Arduino and
searched for cheaper options countless times.  Yesterday's email made me
to search again and really liked the way one of products I've mentioned
was structured.

So I sat down and wrote an Arduino implementation of that specification
just to see what the performance would be. You can find it at:
https://github.com/axic/dtiic

Best,
Alex

@ 2015-05-19 13:34         ` Angelo Compagnucci
From: Angelo Compagnucci @ 2015-05-19 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Beregszaszi; +Cc: Bernhard Kraft, driverdev-devel

Hi Alex,

> Angelo Compagnucci wrote:
>
> Dear Bernhard Kraft,

> But for now I think I will just publish the Arduino sketch and a sample
> implementation on how to access I2C devices with it.
>
> Probably we should stick to other protocol driver implementation, but
> from a rapid analisys, this will be the second in kernel serial to i2c
> adapter, so I think there is not such a string standard protocol in
> this field.
>
> Please publish your sketch, I think making the driver is really not a
> complex matter!
> Count on me for any help, I really like the idea to have my name on
> such an interesting project!
>
> I have  worked on some I2C drivers for Linux, as well as Arduino and
> searched for cheaper options countless times.  Yesterday's email made me to
> search again and really liked the way one of products I've mentioned was
> structured.

Great! Looking at the kernel, the USB-ISS doesn't have a ready made
driver. This could be a counter argument cause we will use another I2C
over UART protocol.

> So I sat down and wrote an Arduino implementation of that specification just
> to see what the performance would be. You can find it at:
> https://github.com/axic/dtiic

I had a quick look at code and it seems simple, readable and fastest
at least to sustain the 400khz mode of i2c.

BTW, I'm thinking on making an arduino code compatible with some of
the already in kernel driver and i2c-tiny-usb could be a really valid
candidate. This way we could only ask for a .ino inclusion in mainline
with some sort of documentation on how to cook a homemade I2C over
UART bridge.

Sincerely, Angelo

--

@ 2015-05-19 13:40           ` Angelo Compagnucci
From: Angelo Compagnucci @ 2015-05-19 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Beregszaszi; +Cc: Bernhard Kraft, driverdev-devel

Hi Alex,

> Hi Alex,

>> Hi,
>>
>> Angelo Compagnucci wrote:
>>
>> Dear Bernhard Kraft,

>> But for now I think I will just publish the Arduino sketch and a sample
>> implementation on how to access I2C devices with it.
>>
>> Probably we should stick to other protocol driver implementation, but
>> from a rapid analisys, this will be the second in kernel serial to i2c
>> adapter, so I think there is not such a string standard protocol in
>> this field.
>>
>> Please publish your sketch, I think making the driver is really not a
>> complex matter!
>> Count on me for any help, I really like the idea to have my name on
>> such an interesting project!
>>
>> I have  worked on some I2C drivers for Linux, as well as Arduino and
>> searched for cheaper options countless times.  Yesterday's email made me to
>> search again and really liked the way one of products I've mentioned was
>> structured.
>
> Great! Looking at the kernel, the USB-ISS doesn't have a ready made
> driver. This could be a counter argument cause we will use another I2C
> over UART protocol.
>
>> So I sat down and wrote an Arduino implementation of that specification just
>> to see what the performance would be. You can find it at:
>> https://github.com/axic/dtiic
>
> I had a quick look at code and it seems simple, readable and fastest
> at least to sustain the 400khz mode of i2c.
>
> BTW, I'm thinking on making an arduino code compatible with some of
> the already in kernel driver and i2c-tiny-usb could be a really valid
> candidate. This way we could only ask for a .ino inclusion in mainline
> with some sort of documentation on how to cook a homemade I2C over
> UART bridge.

The only downside of this approach is that we should write something
USB based, not UART, so it will limit the choice of usable Arduino
board to only the Leonardo.
I think we should stick for an serio based driver to be compatible
with all the boards.

I have no problem in writing such a driver, probably I will look into
this in the next few days.

Sincerely, Angelo

@ 2015-05-19 14:17             ` Alex Beregszaszi
From: Alex Beregszaszi @ 2015-05-19 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Compagnucci; +Cc: Bernhard Kraft, driverdev-devel

Hi Angelo,

Angelo Compagnucci wrote:
> Hi Alex,

>> Hi Alex,

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Angelo Compagnucci wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Bernhard Kraft,

>>> But for now I think I will just publish the Arduino sketch and a sample
>>> implementation on how to access I2C devices with it.
>>>
>>> Probably we should stick to other protocol driver implementation, but
>>> from a rapid analisys, this will be the second in kernel serial to i2c
>>> adapter, so I think there is not such a string standard protocol in
>>> this field.
>>>
>>> Please publish your sketch, I think making the driver is really not a
>>> complex matter!
>>> Count on me for any help, I really like the idea to have my name on
>>> such an interesting project!
>>>
>>> I have  worked on some I2C drivers for Linux, as well as Arduino and
>>> searched for cheaper options countless times.  Yesterday's email made me to
>>> search again and really liked the way one of products I've mentioned was
>>> structured.
>> Great! Looking at the kernel, the USB-ISS doesn't have a ready made
>> driver. This could be a counter argument cause we will use another I2C
>> over UART protocol.

I do plan to write a serio driver.  Might not happen.  The reason I
liked this protocol is because one can buy an actual manufactured
device, while others can resort to the Arduino sketch.

>>> So I sat down and wrote an Arduino implementation of that specification just
>>> to see what the performance would be. You can find it at:
>>> https://github.com/axic/dtiic
>> I had a quick look at code and it seems simple, readable and fastest
>> at least to sustain the 400khz mode of i2c.
>>
>> BTW, I'm thinking on making an arduino code compatible with some of
>> the already in kernel driver and i2c-tiny-usb could be a really valid
>> candidate. This way we could only ask for a .ino inclusion in mainline
>> with some sort of documentation on how to cook a homemade I2C over
>> UART bridge.
>
> The only downside of this approach is that we should write something
> USB based, not UART, so it will limit the choice of usable Arduino
> board to only the Leonardo.
> I think we should stick for an serio based driver to be compatible
> with all the boards.
>
> I have no problem in writing such a driver, probably I will look into
> this in the next few days.

Yes, if one can implement any USB device on the Leonardo and not just
HID that makes it really simple to support i2c-tiny-usb. Or
i2c-robotfuzz-osif for that matter.

The only current serio-based I2C bus is i2c-taos-evm which isn't even
full I2C, but smbus. Writing an Arduino sketch for that seems simple
enough too.

Best,
Alex

* Re: [RFC] Driver for Arduino-as-I2C-adapter
@ 2015-05-19 15:34         ` Bernhard Kraft
From: Bernhard Kraft @ 2015-05-19 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: driverdev-devel

Hi Alex,

On 2015-05-19 14:20, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:

> So I sat down and wrote an Arduino implementation of that specification
> just to see what the performance would be. You can find it at:
> https://github.com/axic/dtiic

I already took a look at the robot-electronics.co.uk link yesterday. I
wasn't very fond of the serial protocol. It seems they implemented some
kind of timeout which determines the start and end of a message.

Quote:
http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/usb_iss_i2c_tech.htm
"A gap will result in the USB-ISS re-starting its internal command
synchronization loop and ignoring the message."

Hence my implementation uses <ESC> as ERROR character. Whenever one of
the devices PC/Arduino looses sync or notices another problem it sends
an <ESC> on to the serial line (0x1B). The <ESC> character is even valid
through data transfers. This requires a literal <ESC> character to get
escaped somehow. For this reason I introduced a quoting character
(indeed it is an escape character - maybe I should use another character
than <ESC> for signaling an error). The quoting character (currently
'\') can quote itself and the <ESC> character. Every other combination
of '\' and another character is invalid and causes the other end to send
<ESC>
(error).

I don't know if this protocol is clever but it can get implemented using
a layered approach and synchronization can get achieved without the need
of other lines. Using the escaped mechanism also software flow control
like XON/XOFF could get implemented:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_flow_control
(I didn't knew Xon was a Star Trek character :)

Here a link to my current Arduino sketch:
https://gist.github.com/kraftb/8c0bbcc35a9778608d74

I think to create a nice and useful sketch the communication would have
to get a layer for supporting different client side (Arduino) features
(I2C, SPI, GPIO).

Is it a problem that we discuss this issue here? I see mostly patches
going around. If someone feels annoyed please post and we move to some
other list.

greetings,
Bernhard
--

@ 2015-05-19 19:51           ` Alex Beregszaszi
From: Alex Beregszaszi @ 2015-05-19 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernhard Kraft; +Cc: driverdev-devel

Hi,

Bernhard Kraft wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On 2015-05-19 14:20, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
>
>> So I sat down and wrote an Arduino implementation of that specification
>> just to see what the performance would be. You can find it at:
>> https://github.com/axic/dtiic
>
> I already took a look at the robot-electronics.co.uk link yesterday. I
> wasn't very fond of the serial protocol. It seems they implemented
> some kind of timeout which determines the start and end of a message.
>
> Quote:
> http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/usb_iss_i2c_tech.htm
> "A gap will result in the USB-ISS re-starting its internal command
> synchronization loop and ignoring the message."
>

> Hence my implementation uses <ESC> as ERROR character. Whenever one of
> the devices PC/Arduino looses sync or notices another problem it sends
> an <ESC> on to the serial line (0x1B). The <ESC> character is even
> valid through data transfers. This requires a literal <ESC> character
> to get escaped somehow. For this reason I introduced a quoting
> character (indeed it is an escape character - maybe I should use
> another character than <ESC> for signaling an error). The quoting
> character (currently '\') can quote itself and the <ESC> character.
> Every other combination of '\' and another character is invalid and
> causes the other end to send <ESC>
> (error).

Common way for escaping is to choose the least frequent character as an
escape character and if it needs to be represented as a vanilla value,
use double escaping for that. E.g. in your example <ESC> is escaping and
<ESC><ESC> represents data.

> I think to create a nice and useful sketch the communication would
> have to get a layer for supporting different client side (Arduino)
> features (I2C, SPI, GPIO).

I know you don't like the USB-ISS (and I am not 100% happy with it
either), but that does support I2C, SPI, GPIO and UART.

Best,
Alex