* [meta-ruby] proposal: moving ruby to oe-core
@ 2015-05-19 15:42 Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2015-05-19 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello meta-ruby maintainers,

I am trying to update webkit-gtk in oe-core to latest upstream version
(it's fallen badly out of date), and that requires having ruby during
build time. So I would like to propose that ruby recipes are moved to
oe-core, and you keep maintaining them there. How does it sound to you?

Regards,
Alexander

* Re: [meta-ruby] proposal: moving ruby to oe-core
@ 2015-05-19 20:09 ` akuster808
From: akuster808 @ 2015-05-19 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 05/19/2015 08:42 AM, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> Hello meta-ruby maintainers,
>
> I am trying to update webkit-gtk in oe-core to latest upstream version
> (it's fallen badly out of date), and that requires having ruby during
> build time. So I would like to propose that ruby recipes are moved to
> oe-core, and you keep maintaining them there. How does it sound to you?

I don't have an issue with that. Do you need both Ruby and bundler? I
believe there is value in having additional ruby packages outside core,
like python is structured.

I think it might be more of issue for OE-core folks.
My concern is core is getting bloated.

regards and thanks for asking.
Armin

@ 2015-05-20  9:18   ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2015-05-20  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 19 May 2015 at 21:09, akuster808 <akuster808@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have an issue with that. Do you need both Ruby and bundler? I
> believe there is value in having additional ruby packages outside core,
> like python is structured.

Agreed, meta-ruby should continue to exist for anything outside of the core
Ruby runtime, exactly like meta-python and meta-cpan.

Ross

* Re: [meta-ruby] proposal: moving ruby to oe-core
@ 2015-05-20 15:27     ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2015-05-20 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 05/20/2015 12:18 PM, Burton, Ross wrote:

>> I don't have an issue with that. Do you need both Ruby and bundler? I
>> believe there is value in having additional ruby packages outside core,
>> like python is structured.
>>
> Agreed, meta-ruby should continue to exist for anything outside of the core
> Ruby runtime, exactly like meta-python and meta-cpan.

Alright then. I'll add the ruby runtime to oe-core and won't touch the
rest. When it appears in master, meta-ruby should be updated to remove
the recipe.

Alex

* Re: [meta-ruby] proposal: moving ruby to oe-core
@ 2015-05-20 17:18       ` akuster808
From: akuster808 @ 2015-05-20 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Alex,

On 05/20/2015 08:27 AM, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On 05/20/2015 12:18 PM, Burton, Ross wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have an issue with that. Do you need both Ruby and bundler? I
>>> believe there is value in having additional ruby packages outside core,
>>> like python is structured.
>>>
>> Agreed, meta-ruby should continue to exist for anything outside of the
>> core
>> Ruby runtime, exactly like meta-python and meta-cpan.
>>

> Alright then. I'll add the ruby runtime to oe-core and won't touch the
> rest. When it appears in master, meta-ruby should be updated to remove
> the recipe.

I have some ruby class changes but I will wait for this transition to
complete.

thanks,
Armin

@ 2015-05-20 19:10     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2015-05-20 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

> On May 20, 2015, at 2:18 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:
>
> On 19 May 2015 at 21:09, akuster808 <akuster808@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't have an issue with that. Do you need both Ruby and bundler? I
>> believe there is value in having additional ruby packages outside core,
>> like python is structured.
>>

> Agreed, meta-ruby should continue to exist for anything outside of the core
> Ruby runtime, exactly like meta-python and meta-cpan.

+1 here as well. We should however make any changes needed in OE-Core to make ruby consumption
easier.

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: [meta-ruby] proposal: moving ruby to oe-core
@ 2015-05-21 12:56         ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2015-05-21 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 05/20/2015 08:18 PM, akuster808 wrote:
> I have some ruby class changes but I will wait for this transition to
> complete.

I didn't copy the class to oe-core, because it's not needed for building
webkit. I copied only the recipe for the ruby runtime. Is that ok?

Alex