* [Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] ZUFS - Zero Copy User-Mode FileSystem - One year Later
@ 2018-10-03  9:35 Harrosh, Boaz
From: Harrosh, Boaz @ 2018-10-03  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

Linux Plumbers 2018: ZUFS - Zero Copy User-Mode FileSystem - One year Later

One year after its inception there are real hardened FSs. Real performance measurements.
and many innovative fixtures. But is it ready for upstream?

Few highlights:

- ALL VFS api working including dax, mmap IOCTL xattrs ACLs ....
  (Missing quota)
- IO API changed (From last year)
- Support for ASYNC operations
- Support for both pmem and regular block devices
- Support for private memory pools
- ZTs multy-channel and dynamic channel allocation
- And many more ...

In the talk I will give a short architectural and functional overview.
Then will go over some of the leftover challenges.

And finally hope to engage in an open discussion of how this project should move forward
to be accepted into the Kernel, gain more users and FS implementations.

Cheers
Boaz

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] ZUFS - Zero Copy User-Mode FileSystem - One year Later
@ 2018-10-03 11:06 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2018-10-03 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harrosh, Boaz; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 09:35:54AM +0000, Harrosh, Boaz wrote:
> Linux Plumbers 2018: ZUFS - Zero Copy User-Mode FileSystem - One year Later
>
> One year after its inception there are real hardened FSs. Real performance measurements.
> and many innovative fixtures. But is it ready for upstream?
>
> Few highlights:
>
> - ALL VFS api working including dax, mmap IOCTL xattrs ACLs ....
>   (Missing quota)
> - IO API changed (From last year)
> - Support for ASYNC operations
> - Support for both pmem and regular block devices
> - Support for private memory pools
> - ZTs multy-channel and dynamic channel allocation
> - And many more ...
>
> In the talk I will give a short architectural and functional overview.
> Then will go over some of the leftover challenges.
>
> And finally hope to engage in an open discussion of how this project should move forward
> to be accepted into the Kernel, gain more users and FS implementations.

Why wouldn't this be better discussed at the file-system-specific
conference?  Or have you already done that this year?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] ZUFS - Zero Copy User-Mode FileSystem - One year Later
@ 2018-10-03 12:46   ` Harrosh, Boaz
From: Harrosh, Boaz @ 2018-10-03 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> Wrote:

>> On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 09:35:54AM +0000, Harrosh, Boaz wrote:
>> Linux Plumbers 2018: ZUFS - Zero Copy User-Mode FileSystem - One year Later
<snap>

> Why wouldn't this be better discussed at the file-system-specific
> conference?  Or have you already done that this year?
>
> thanks,
> greg k-h

Yes I have presented at LSF. It was a full discussion. And, 6 month ago, was
very not ready for upstream at that time.

Last plumbers my talk raised a lot of interest, was then at the POC stage.

I would like to present the current status, when code is much more complete
and actually ready for clients computers in stability and fixture set.

And try to draw in more community interest and participation. In what I believe
is a very Interesting project. Some of the Technics I present are beyond pure FS
and demonstrate a new way to communicate with user-mode servers, taking into
account cpu-locality and NUMA awareness.

[That said it is all about me sleeping on guard and submitting a plumbers talk proposal
 to late. So it was suggested I might ask about a Kernel track
]

Thanks

@ 2018-10-08  7:46     ` Boaz Harrosh
From: Boaz Harrosh @ 2018-10-08  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On 03/10/18 15:46, Harrosh, Boaz wrote:
> Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> Wrote:
>
>>> On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 09:35:54AM +0000, Harrosh, Boaz wrote:
>>> Linux Plumbers 2018: ZUFS - Zero Copy User-Mode FileSystem - One year Later
> <snap>
>
>> Why wouldn't this be better discussed at the file-system-specific
>> conference?  Or have you already done that this year?
>>
>> thanks,
>> greg k-h
>
> Yes I have presented at LSF. It was a full discussion. And, 6 month ago, was
> very not ready for upstream at that time.
>
> Last plumbers my talk raised a lot of interest, was then at the POC stage.
>
> I would like to present the current status, when code is much more complete
> and actually ready for clients computers in stability and fixture set.
>
> And try to draw in more community interest and participation. In what I believe
> is a very Interesting project. Some of the Technics I present are beyond pure FS
> and demonstrate a new way to communicate with user-mode servers, taking into
> account cpu-locality and NUMA awareness.
>
> [That said it is all about me sleeping on guard and submitting a plumbers talk proposal
>  to late. So it was suggested I might ask about a Kernel track
> ]

Hello Greg, ksummit comity

Does any one please know when are the list of the Kernel sub-tracks [TECH TOPIC]s
are set and accepted? I read the "Kernel Summit 2018 planning kick-off" mail
and it was not clear to me.

The reason I ask is because I need to book my flights, pretty soon.
(Sorry if this is already known information)

@ 2018-10-08 13:47       ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2018-10-08 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boaz Harrosh; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 10:46:00AM +0300, Boaz Harrosh wrote:

> > <snap>
> >
> >> Why wouldn't this be better discussed at the file-system-specific
> >> conference?  Or have you already done that this year?
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> greg k-h
> >
> > Yes I have presented at LSF. It was a full discussion. And, 6 month ago, was
> > very not ready for upstream at that time.
> >
> > Last plumbers my talk raised a lot of interest, was then at the POC stage.
> >
> > I would like to present the current status, when code is much more complete
> > and actually ready for clients computers in stability and fixture set.
> >
> > And try to draw in more community interest and participation. In what I believe
> > is a very Interesting project. Some of the Technics I present are beyond pure FS
> > and demonstrate a new way to communicate with user-mode servers, taking into
> > account cpu-locality and NUMA awareness.
> >
> > [That said it is all about me sleeping on guard and submitting a plumbers talk proposal
> >  to late. So it was suggested I might ask about a Kernel track
> > ]
> >

> Hello Greg, ksummit comity
>
> Does any one please know when are the list of the Kernel sub-tracks [TECH TOPIC]s
> are set and accepted? I read the "Kernel Summit 2018 planning kick-off" mail
> and it was not clear to me.

I do not know when that will be finalized, sorry.

greg k-h