From: Wols Lists <antlists@youngman.org.uk>
To: Pierre Wieser <pwieser@trychlos.org>,
	Can Jeuleers <can.jeuleers@gmail.com>
Cc: linux-raid@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Migrating a RAID 5 from 4x2TB to 3x6TB ?
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 20:06:00 +0100	[thread overview]

On 09/06/15 19:46, Pierre Wieser wrote:
> [...]

I don't think so. You may be lucky, and your drives are better than
average. You may be unlucky, and your drives are worse than average.

DON'T USE DESKTOP GRADE DISKS EXCEPT IN RAID 1. That said, I'm using
Seagate Barracudas which I was planning to upgrade to raid 5 - not a
good idea :-(

> Does linux-raid have any recommandation(s) when managing more than 10TB of data ?
>
> I may imagine:
> - several smaller RAID 5 devices
> - would RAID10 be a valuable solution in your opinion ?

Read the list archive. There's a bunch of stuff about how to mitigate
the problem - mostly by increasing the raid timeout (the problem is,
basically, that the raid software returns with an error before the disk
times out - increase the raid timeout and it will detect the disk error
and retry).

> (as a precision, all my servers have been migrated to CentOS 7.1)
>
> Nonetheless, I thank you very much for the link, which may prevent me to
> lose a big bunch of data !

"man smartctl" is your friend :-)

You'll have to read up, but try

"smartctl -i /dev/sdx"

That'll tell you if smart is turned on - if it isn't, turn it on.

"smartctl -s on /dev/sdx"

Then do

"smartctl -x /dev/sdx"

and look for anything about ERC or Error Recovery Control. From my
Barracudas I get

SCT Data Table command not supported

SCT Error Recovery Control command not supported

Device Statistics (GP Log 0x04) not supported

OOPS!!! These drives are NOT NOT NOT suitable for raid :-( Everything
will be fine if I increase the raid timeout, but given that the typical
drive timeout is two minutes, the raid timeout needs to be longer than
that which means if I have any soft errors, the rebuild will be horribly
slow.

Looks like my next drives will be WD Reds, they're not much more expensive.

WARNING: If you have to enable smartctl, it's supposed to survive a
cold-boot, but it doesn't look like it has on my drives, and it's
reported a lot of drives don't. You need to make sure you have a boot
script that forces it on, and forces ERC on or sets the timeout.

All that said, as you can see, desktop drives are fine for raid IF
repeat IF you take the necessary precautions. They're probably fine on a
desktop :-)

Cheers,
Wol