* Missing Xen ARM documentation on the website
@ 2015-06-16 22:35 Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2015-06-16 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell, Ian Jackson, Lars Kurth, xen-devel

Hi,

It seems that the online documentation [1] doesn't contain the ARM part.
It's a directory under docs/misc.

I'm happy to fix it if someone point me to the scripts which generate
the online doc.

Regards,

[1] http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/

--
Julien Grall

* Re: Missing Xen ARM documentation on the website
@ 2015-06-17  1:00 ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2015-06-17  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, Ian Campbell, Ian Jackson, Lars Kurth, xen-devel

On 16/06/2015 23:35, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that the online documentation [1] doesn't contain the ARM
> part. It's a directory under docs/misc.
>
> I'm happy to fix it if someone point me to the scripts which generate
> the online doc.
>
> Regards,
>
> [1] http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/

It looks like you just need to extend the globs in the "Documentation
sources" section near the top of docs/Makefile.  They currently don't
recurse into misc/arm/.  Perhaps also a tweak to docs/gen-html-index,
but it looks as if it should be able to cope with subdirectories.

It might be worth using $(shell find $XXX) to collect all documents of a
specific src type, which would be more resilient to addition of new
subdirs in the future.  The rest of the makefile should be able to cope.

~Andrew

* Re: Missing Xen ARM documentation on the website
@ 2015-06-17  9:51   ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2015-06-17  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cooper, Ian Campbell, Ian Jackson, Lars Kurth, xen-devel

Hi,

On 17/06/2015 02:00, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 16/06/2015 23:35, Julien Grall wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems that the online documentation [1] doesn't contain the ARM
>> part. It's a directory under docs/misc.
>>
>> I'm happy to fix it if someone point me to the scripts which generate
>> the online doc.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> [1] http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/
>>

> It looks like you just need to extend the globs in the "Documentation
> sources" section near the top of docs/Makefile.  They currently don't
> recurse into misc/arm/.  Perhaps also a tweak to docs/gen-html-index,
> but it looks as if it should be able to cope with subdirectories.

It looks that gen-html-index needs to be modified. When you have 2 file
with the same name, the final result it:

I guess we want to print the directory name (or something similar) and
add another layer of indentation:
    Misc
      Arm
        passthrough
        device-tree
           passthrough

> It might be worth using $(shell find $XXX) to collect all documents of a
> specific src type, which would be more resilient to addition of new
> subdirs in the future.  The rest of the makefile should be able to cope.

Good idea.

@ 2015-06-17 10:10     ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-06-17 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall; +Cc: Andrew Cooper, Lars Kurth, xen-devel, Ian Jackson

On Wed, 2015-06-17 at 10:51 +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 17/06/2015 02:00, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> > On 16/06/2015 23:35, Julien Grall wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> It seems that the online documentation [1] doesn't contain the ARM
> >> part. It's a directory under docs/misc.
> >>
> >> I'm happy to fix it if someone point me to the scripts which generate
> >> the online doc.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> [1] http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/
> >>

> > It looks like you just need to extend the globs in the "Documentation
> > sources" section near the top of docs/Makefile.  They currently don't
> > recurse into misc/arm/.  Perhaps also a tweak to docs/gen-html-index,
> > but it looks as if it should be able to cope with subdirectories.
>
> It looks that gen-html-index needs to be modified. When you have 2 file
> with the same name, the final result it:

> I guess we want to print the directory name (or something similar) and
> add another layer of indentation:
>     Misc
>       Arm
>         passthrough
>         device-tree
>            passthrough

Probably, yes.

Independently of that you may also want to consider updating docs/INDEX
to give things real titles rather than just their filename.

@ 2015-06-17 14:01       ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2015-06-17 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell, Julien Grall
  Cc: Andrew Cooper, Ian Jackson, Lars Kurth, xen-devel

On 17/06/15 11:10, Ian Campbell wrote:
>> I guess we want to print the directory name (or something similar) and
>> add another layer of indentation:
>>     Misc
>>       Arm
>>         passthrough
>>         device-tree
>>            passthrough
>
> Probably, yes.
>
> Independently of that you may also want to consider updating docs/INDEX
> to give things real titles rather than just their filename.

This solution will be simpler for now. I will update docs/INDEX.

Julien Grall