* osd pool erasure code stripe width
@ 2015-06-19 20:11 Deneau, Tom
From: Deneau, Tom @ 2015-06-19 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

I am trying to understand the use of "osd pool erasure code stripe width"
For example, I have a single-node system with a k=2,m=1 ec pool
and I write a single 40M object to this pool using rados bench.
But when I look on the disk, I still see only the 3 20M pieces for this object.
Where does the striping get used?

-- Tom Deneau, AMD

Sets the desired size, in bytes, of an object stripe on every erasure coded pools. Every object if size S will be stored as N stripes and each stripe will be encoded/decoded individually.
Type:
Unsigned 32-bit Integer
Default:
4096

* Re: osd pool erasure code stripe width
@ 2015-06-19 22:47 ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-06-19 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deneau, Tom, ceph-devel

Hi Tom,

A stripe width of 4KB (the default) means the object is encoded 4KB at a time. It does not show in the file written to disk.

Cheers

On 19/06/2015 22:11, Deneau, Tom wrote:
> I am trying to understand the use of "osd pool erasure code stripe width"
> For example, I have a single-node system with a k=2,m=1 ec pool
> and I write a single 40M object to this pool using rados bench.
> But when I look on the disk, I still see only the 3 20M pieces for this object.
> Where does the striping get used?
>
> -- Tom Deneau, AMD

> Sets the desired size, in bytes, of an object stripe on every erasure coded pools. Every object if size S will be stored as N stripes and each stripe will be encoded/decoded individually.
> Type:
> Unsigned 32-bit Integer
> Default:
> 4096

Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

* RE: osd pool erasure code stripe width
@ 2015-06-20  1:18   ` Deneau, Tom
From: Deneau, Tom @ 2015-06-20  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary, ceph-devel

So if I am looking at the performance of a system with
ceph_erasure_code_benchmark, does this mean I should concentrate
on the performance with --size 4096 (or whatever stripe width my
ec pools are going to use)?

-- Tom

@ 2015-06-20  6:27     ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-06-20  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)