* Do we also need to reset HW when execlist mode is enabled?
@ 2015-06-23 21:41 Zhi Wang
From: Zhi Wang @ 2015-06-23 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx; +Cc: Niu, Bing

Hi Experts:
	Recently we found that when i915 module got unloaded, when we were
debugging some bugs in XenGT. It would not reset HW under execlist mode.
I'm not sure if this is an issue. But if we keep loading/unloading
module with the different submission mode, e.g. from execlist mode to
ring buffer mode via loading/unloading i915, this should be a corner
case.... Maybe you can provide some advice, or make sure if we need to
fix it. :)

If so, we can submit a patch. :)

Code:
void i915_gem_context_fini(struct drm_device *dev)
{
        struct drm_i915_private *dev_priv = dev->dev_private;
        struct intel_context *dctx = dev_priv->ring[RCS].default_context;
        int i;

        if (dctx->legacy_hw_ctx.rcs_state) {
                /* The only known way to stop the gpu from accessing the
hw context is
                 * to reset it. Do this as the very last operation to
avoid confusing
                 * other code, leading to spurious errors. */
                intel_gpu_reset(dev);  // <------------ Move this one to
the beginning of the function.

Thanks,
Zhi.

* Re: Do we also need to reset HW when execlist mode is enabled?
@ 2015-06-24 13:47 ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2015-06-24 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhi Wang; +Cc: intel-gfx, Niu, Bing

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 05:41:08AM +0800, Zhi Wang wrote:
> Hi Experts:
> 	Recently we found that when i915 module got unloaded, when we were
> debugging some bugs in XenGT. It would not reset HW under execlist mode.
> I'm not sure if this is an issue. But if we keep loading/unloading
> module with the different submission mode, e.g. from execlist mode to
> ring buffer mode via loading/unloading i915, this should be a corner
> case.... Maybe you can provide some advice, or make sure if we need to
> fix it. :)
>
> If so, we can submit a patch. :)
>
> Code:
> void i915_gem_context_fini(struct drm_device *dev)
> {
>         struct drm_i915_private *dev_priv = dev->dev_private;
>         struct intel_context *dctx = dev_priv->ring[RCS].default_context;
>         int i;
>
>         if (dctx->legacy_hw_ctx.rcs_state) {
>                 /* The only known way to stop the gpu from accessing the
> hw context is
>                  * to reset it. Do this as the very last operation to
> avoid confusing
>                  * other code, leading to spurious errors. */
>                 intel_gpu_reset(dev);  // <------------ Move this one to
> the beginning of the function.

Yeah makes sense, if this fixes up your troubles with module unloading and
execlist.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter