* Motorola RZ100: How to add support for a new device?
@ 2015-07-15 13:13 Hanno Zulla
From: Hanno Zulla @ 2015-07-15 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

Hi,

who can help me add support for the following device?

Being fairly ignorant of Bluetooth, I'm hoping for someone to guide me
through this, alternatively I'm willing to borrow my device to any
competent developer wanting to tackle this.

The "Motorola Smart Controller RZ100" is a combined telephony headset
and HID touchpad with four Android-specific buttons. It is designed to
work as a remote control for Motorola Android devices.

<https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/product_page/faqs/p/1422,7975,8227>

<http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Bluetooth-Smart-Controller-Android/dp/B0060EKFYG>

It is possible to pair this device with non-Motorola devices, but it
doesn't work there. When paired with a Moto G Android phone, it worked
out of the box.

<https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=180029>

You can also check out the one-star reviews at Amazon (above) for a
bunch of non-Moto-users complaining about this.

Thanks,

Hanno

* Re: Motorola RZ100: How to add support for a new device?
@ 2015-07-16 12:25 ` Luiz Augusto von Dentz
From: Luiz Augusto von Dentz @ 2015-07-16 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hanno Zulla; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Hanno,

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Hanno Zulla <abos@hanno.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> who can help me add support for the following device?
>
> Being fairly ignorant of Bluetooth, I'm hoping for someone to guide me
> through this, alternatively I'm willing to borrow my device to any
> competent developer wanting to tackle this.
>

> The "Motorola Smart Controller RZ100" is a combined telephony headset
> and HID touchpad with four Android-specific buttons. It is designed to
> work as a remote control for Motorola Android devices.
>
> <https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/product_page/faqs/p/1422,7975,8227>
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Bluetooth-Smart-Controller-Android/dp/B0060EKFYG>
>
> It is possible to pair this device with non-Motorola devices, but it
> doesn't work there. When paired with a Moto G Android phone, it worked
> out of the box.
>
> <https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=180029>
>
> You can also check out the one-star reviews at Amazon (above) for a
> bunch of non-Moto-users complaining about this.

It might be missing a HID driver, but we can't help with Android since
it doesn't use BlueZ anymore except if you are flashing with BlueZ for
Android?

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz

* Re: Motorola RZ100: How to add support for a new device?
@ 2015-07-16 12:43   ` Hanno Zulla
From: Hanno Zulla @ 2015-07-16 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luiz Augusto von Dentz; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi,

> It might be missing a HID driver, but we can't help with Android since
> it doesn't use BlueZ anymore except if you are flashing with BlueZ for
> Android?

I don't mind. While it'd be nice to nudge Google towards adding this
driver to Android, I want to make it work with Linux desktop machines,
as well.

Regards,

@ 2015-07-16 13:05     ` Bastien Nocera
From: Bastien Nocera @ 2015-07-16 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hanno Zulla, Luiz Augusto von Dentz; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

On Thu, 2015-07-16 at 14:43 +0200, Hanno Zulla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > It might be missing a HID driver, but we can't help with Android
> > since
> > it doesn't use BlueZ anymore except if you are flashing with BlueZ
> > for
> > Android?
>
> I don't mind. While it'd be nice to nudge Google towards adding this
> driver to Android, I want to make it work with Linux desktop
> machines,
> as well.

If it's handled through the "normal" HIDP stack on Android, it should
at least create a hidraw device in stock Linux (which you can check for
in the dmesg output).

You can then use hid-recorder to get the information from the device:
http://bentiss.github.io/hid-replay-docs/

And start a discussion on the linux-input list about adding support for
it. Given the price of the device, you could always offer to buy one of
the linux-input developers one of them, I found that it's usually a
pretty good incentive :)

Cheers

* Re: Motorola RZ100: How to add support for a new device?
@ 2015-07-23 10:04       ` Hanno Zulla
From: Hanno Zulla @ 2015-07-23 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Nocera, Luiz Augusto von Dentz; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi,

> If it's handled through the "normal" HIDP stack on Android, it should
> at least create a hidraw device in stock Linux (which you can check for
> in the dmesg output).
>
> You can then use hid-recorder to get the information from the device:
> http://bentiss.github.io/hid-replay-docs/
>
> And start a discussion on the linux-input list about adding support for
> it.

Thanks a lot, that helped!

hid-recorder does indeed catch events for it.

I'll go to linux-input with it.

Regards,

Hanno