* [Qemu-devel] FW: about the  bdrv_invalidate_cache_all()
@ 2015-08-05 15:21 Li, Liang Z
From: Li, Liang Z @ 2015-08-05 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, 'Kevin Wolf', 'Juan Quintela'; +Cc: Zhang, Yang Z

Hi Kevin & Juan,

I found the function bdrv_invalidate_cache_all() in the process_incoming_migration_co() takes more the 10ms when doing live migration with shared storage, which prolong the service down time.

The bdrv_invalidate_cache_all() is needed when doing the live migration with '-b' option. For live migration with share storage, such as nfs,  is it still needed? If so, could please tell me why? If not, I think we can do some optimization.

Liang

* Re: [Qemu-devel] FW: about the bdrv_invalidate_cache_all()
@ 2015-08-05 17:45 ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2015-08-05 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li, Liang Z, qemu-devel, 'Kevin Wolf', 'Juan Quintela'
  Cc: Zhang, Yang Z

On 05/08/2015 17:21, Li, Liang Z wrote:
> I found the function bdrv_invalidate_cache_all() in the
> process_incoming_migration_co() takes more the 10ms when doing live
> migration with shared storage, which prolong the service down time.
>
> The bdrv_invalidate_cache_all() is needed when doing the live
> migration with '-b' option. For live migration with share storage,
> such as nfs,  is it still needed? If so, could please tell me why? If
> not, I think we can do some optimization.

IIUC it's the other way round.  bdrv_invalidate_cache_all() is only
needed for live migration with shared storage.

Paolo