* Ceph Community Lab: Understanding where the QA suites spend time
@ 2015-08-19 19:46 Mark Nelson
From: Mark Nelson @ 2015-08-19 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel, cbt

Hi Guys,

About a month ago we were going through the process of trying to figure
out how to replace some of the hardware in the community laboratory that
runs all of the nightly Teuthology tests.  Given a limited budget to
replace the existing nodes, we wanted to understand how the current QA
suites actually spend time on the hardware.  To do this, we investigated
the composition of suites, the amount of time that is spent in each
suite, and then a deeper dive into how the most resource intensive jobs
spend their time.  We then wrote a new benchmark for CBT to run
ceph-test-rados in a rather naive reproduction of what the ceph task in
teuthology does and tested it against several different storage device
configurations to see how much benefit SSDs in the nodes may provide.

A couple of folks at the Hackathon were interested in the paper we
wrote.  I thought I would share it with the community as well in case
any folks ever wondered what Teuthology actually spends it's time doing.

http://nhm.ceph.com/community/Ceph_Community_Lab_Performance_Investigation.pdf

Thanks,
Mark

* Re: [Cbt] Ceph Community Lab: Understanding where the QA suites spend time
@ 2015-08-19 22:05 ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-08-19 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Nelson, ceph-devel, cbt

To help put things in perspective (please forgive me if it's a fact already known to everyone), > 95% of the teuthology jobs can run on virtual machines with 8GB RAM, 40GB disk, 2 processors and no attached disks. The cost of running such virtual machines in the cloud currently is 0.033 euros per hour. Running 40 teuthology jobs at all times would require an average of 80 such virtual machines (most jobs use 2 machines, some 1 or 3), that is 0.033 * 80 vms * 24 hours * 31 days == ~2000 euros per month (also note that at least one cloud provider offers 50% discount if such virtual machines are reserved full time). That's 3 to 6 times cheaper than AWS.

I'm not sure how much it costs to run these 40 teuthology jobs on a hand made lab but I'd be surprised if it was cheaper, all included. Whatever hardware already exists in the sepia lab can easily handle the remaining 5% of jobs that require actual hardware for one reason or the other.

My 3.3cts ;-)

On 19/08/2015 21:46, Mark Nelson wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> About a month ago we were going through the process of trying to figure out how to replace some of the hardware in the community laboratory that runs all of the nightly Teuthology tests.  Given a limited budget to replace the existing nodes, we wanted to understand how the current QA suites actually spend time on the hardware.  To do this, we investigated the composition of suites, the amount of time that is spent in each suite, and then a deeper dive into how the most resource intensive jobs spend their time.  We then wrote a new benchmark for CBT to run ceph-test-rados in a rather naive reproduction of what the ceph task in teuthology does and tested it against several different storage device configurations to see how much benefit SSDs in the nodes may provide.
>
> A couple of folks at the Hackathon were interested in the paper we wrote.  I thought I would share it with the community as well in case any folks ever wondered what Teuthology actually spends it's time doing.
>
> http://nhm.ceph.com/community/Ceph_Community_Lab_Performance_Investigation.pdf
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

* Re: [Cbt] Ceph Community Lab: Understanding where the QA suites spend time
@ 2015-08-19 22:08   ` Mark Nelson
From: Mark Nelson @ 2015-08-19 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary, ceph-devel, cbt

I have no idea about the price of cloud computing services, but if you
can find setups that give you access to SSDs you may be able to run
through thrasher tests much faster (cheaper?). :)

Mark

@ 2015-08-19 22:22     ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-08-19 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Nelson, ceph-devel, cbt

On 20/08/2015 00:08, Mark Nelson wrote:> I have no idea about the price of cloud computing services, but if you can find setups that give you access to SSDs you may be able to run through thrasher tests much faster (cheaper?). :)

In my experience (~2 month experience, not much really ;-), VMs are twice slower than bare metal on average (sometime it's only sightly slower, sometime it's 3 times slower). The network variance also counts : I've seen providers take ~20 minutes to install the Ceph packages (it's ~2GB altogether).

My 3.3 * ~2 cts ;-)

@ 2015-08-19 22:36       ` Shinobu Kinjo
From: Shinobu Kinjo @ 2015-08-19 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Mark Nelson, ceph-devel, cbt

> The network variance also counts :

Yes, it's quite true. We have to consider of that part.

Shinobu