* [U-Boot] ZYNQ, ZC702 getting started
@ 2015-09-18  6:12 Hannes Schmelzer
From: Hannes Schmelzer @ 2015-09-18  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

i am currently starting development software for a new B&R board based
on the ZYNQ7000.

To make live easier i want to try start with the Xilinx Evalboard ZC702,
get there some experience to start afterwards with my own board.

I have allready built "zynq_zc702_defconfig" - but have no plan how to
bring the build output to my board.
Is it necessary to build some FSBL with the Xilinx SDK an merge the
output with u-boot's output ?
Or is it possible to take some SPL und U-Boot, burn it so SD-Card or
QSPI flash and run ?

many thanks for help and best regards,
Hannes

* [U-Boot] ZYNQ, ZC702 getting started
@ 2015-09-18  7:13 ` Jagan Teki
From: Jagan Teki @ 2015-09-18  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 18 September 2015 at 11:42, Hannes Schmelzer <hannes@schmelzer.or.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am currently starting development software for a new B&R board based on
> the ZYNQ7000.
>
> To make live easier i want to try start with the Xilinx Evalboard ZC702, get
> there some experience to start afterwards with my own board.
>
> I have allready built "zynq_zc702_defconfig" - but have no plan how to bring
> the build output to my board.
> Is it necessary to build some FSBL with the Xilinx SDK an merge the output
> with u-boot's output ?
> Or is it possible to take some SPL und U-Boot, burn it so SD-Card or QSPI
> flash and run ?

Either works fine.

For SPL use mmc instead of QSPI - qspi patches on the way to merge mainline.

mmc:
build the source in mainline and download zynq boot.bin generator from
[1] and copy boot.bin and u-boot-dtb.img on to sd card, thats it.

[1] https://github.com/openedev/u-boot-zynq/blob/master/tools/zynq-boot-bin.py

> many thanks for help and best regards,
> Hannes

thanks!
--
Jagan | openedev.

* [U-Boot] ZYNQ, ZC702 getting started
@ 2015-09-18  7:32   ` Hannes Schmelzer
From: Hannes Schmelzer @ 2015-09-18  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

>> Hi,
>>
>> i am currently starting development software for a new B&R board based on
>> the ZYNQ7000.
>>
>> To make live easier i want to try start with the Xilinx Evalboard ZC702, get
>> there some experience to start afterwards with my own board.
>>
>> I have allready built "zynq_zc702_defconfig" - but have no plan how to bring
>> the build output to my board.
>> Is it necessary to build some FSBL with the Xilinx SDK an merge the output
>> with u-boot's output ?
>> Or is it possible to take some SPL und U-Boot, burn it so SD-Card or QSPI
>> flash and run ?
> Either works fine.
>
> For SPL use mmc instead of QSPI - qspi patches on the way to merge mainline.
>
> mmc:
> build the source in mainline and download zynq boot.bin generator from
> [1] and copy boot.bin and u-boot-dtb.img on to sd card, thats it.
>
> [1] https://github.com/openedev/u-boot-zynq/blob/master/tools/zynq-boot-bin.py

Hi jagan,

many thanks for response and help.

It is now bit more cleaner to me ... in final i wan't to use hw guys
output (ps7_* files) and build my software.
At this point i think, i don't need the Vivado or Xilinx SDK at all ...
just my ARM toolchain and u-boot. Fine.

For the beginning i will use mmc (or maybe jtag). Finally i must use
qspi. I think the QSPI support can be found on your github [1].

I've downloaded [1] ... and run:

~/work/u-boot-zynq $ tools/zynq-boot-bin.py
test.py -u <inputfile> -o <outputfile>

What is the input file ?
For my understanding, i need 2 input files (SPL and u-boot), or i'm wrong ?

best regards,
Hannes

* [U-Boot] ZYNQ, ZC702 getting started
@ 2015-09-18  8:59     ` Jagan Teki
From: Jagan Teki @ 2015-09-18  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 18 September 2015 at 13:02, Hannes Schmelzer <hannes@schmelzer.or.at> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i am currently starting development software for a new B&R board based on
>>> the ZYNQ7000.
>>>
>>> To make live easier i want to try start with the Xilinx Evalboard ZC702,
>>> get
>>> there some experience to start afterwards with my own board.
>>>
>>> I have allready built "zynq_zc702_defconfig" - but have no plan how to
>>> bring
>>> the build output to my board.
>>> Is it necessary to build some FSBL with the Xilinx SDK an merge the
>>> output
>>> with u-boot's output ?
>>> Or is it possible to take some SPL und U-Boot, burn it so SD-Card or QSPI
>>> flash and run ?
>>
>> Either works fine.
>>
>> For SPL use mmc instead of QSPI - qspi patches on the way to merge
>> mainline.
>>
>> mmc:
>> build the source in mainline and download zynq boot.bin generator from
>> [1] and copy boot.bin and u-boot-dtb.img on to sd card, thats it.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/openedev/u-boot-zynq/blob/master/tools/zynq-boot-bin.py
>

> Hi jagan,
>
> many thanks for response and help.
>
> It is now bit more cleaner to me ... in final i wan't to use hw guys output
> (ps7_* files) and build my software.
> At this point i think, i don't need the Vivado or Xilinx SDK at all ... just
> my ARM toolchain and u-boot. Fine.

Yes.

> For the beginning i will use mmc (or maybe jtag). Finally i must use qspi. I
> think the QSPI support can be found on your github [1].
>
> I've downloaded [1] ... and run:
>
> ~/work/u-boot-zynq $ tools/zynq-boot-bin.py
> test.py -u <inputfile> -o <outputfile>
>
> What is the input file ?
> For my understanding, i need 2 input files (SPL and u-boot), or i'm wrong ?

See this wiki [1] and just try qspi as well and let me know for any questions.

[1] http://www.openedev.com/wiki/Main_Page

thanks!
--
Jagan | openedev.

* [U-Boot] ZYNQ, ZC702 getting started
@ 2015-09-18  9:27       ` Hannes Schmelzer
From: Hannes Schmelzer @ 2015-09-18  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 09/18/2015 10:59 AM, Jagan Teki wrote:

>>> Either works fine.
>>>
>>> For SPL use mmc instead of QSPI - qspi patches on the way to merge
>>> mainline.
>>>
>>> mmc:
>>> build the source in mainline and download zynq boot.bin generator from
>>> [1] and copy boot.bin and u-boot-dtb.img on to sd card, thats it.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://github.com/openedev/u-boot-zynq/blob/master/tools/zynq-boot-bin.py
>>
>> Hi jagan,
>>
>> many thanks for response and help.
>>
>> It is now bit more cleaner to me ... in final i wan't to use hw guys output
>> (ps7_* files) and build my software.
>> At this point i think, i don't need the Vivado or Xilinx SDK at all ... just
>> my ARM toolchain and u-boot. Fine.
> Yes.
>
>> For the beginning i will use mmc (or maybe jtag). Finally i must use qspi. I
>> think the QSPI support can be found on your github [1].
>>
>> I've downloaded [1] ... and run:
>>
>> ~/work/u-boot-zynq $ tools/zynq-boot-bin.py
>> test.py -u <inputfile> -o <outputfile>
>>
>> What is the input file ?
>> For my understanding, i need 2 input files (SPL and u-boot), or i'm wrong ?
> See this wiki [1] and just try qspi as well and let me know for any questions.
>
> [1] http://www.openedev.com/wiki/Main_Page
>
> thanks!
Hi Jagan,

many thanks - with your help i got it work :-)
I tried both, mainline u-boot and which one from openedev.

I observed a little issue on both versions.
If i type "reset" or press the SRST_B button i get:

U-Boot SPL 2015.07-rc3-g0cf5d8d (Sep 18 2015 - 11:22:16)
mmc boot
zynq_sdhci_init: sdhci_host malloc fail
MMC Device 0 not found
spl: mmc device not found
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

if i simple power on or press the POR_B button it works as expected:

U-Boot SPL 2015.07-rc3-g0cf5d8d (Sep 18 2015 - 11:22:16)
mmc boot
reading system.dtb
spl_load_image_fat_os: error reading image system.dtb, err - -1
reading u-boot-dtb.img
reading u-boot-dtb.img

U-Boot 2015.07-rc3-g0cf5d8d (Sep 18 2015 - 11:23:17 +0200)

Model: Zynq ZC702 Board
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  ECC disabled 1 GiB
MMC:   zynq_sdhci: 0
Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Model: Zynq ZC702 Board
Net:   Gem.e000b000
Error: Gem.e000b000 address not set.

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
zynq-uboot>

best regards,
Hannes

* [U-Boot] ZYNQ, ZC702 getting started
@ 2015-09-18  9:31         ` Jagan Teki
From: Jagan Teki @ 2015-09-18  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 18 September 2015 at 14:57, Hannes Schmelzer <hannes@schmelzer.or.at> wrote:
> On 09/18/2015 10:59 AM, Jagan Teki wrote:

>>> Hi jagan,
>>>
>>> many thanks for response and help.
>>>
>>> It is now bit more cleaner to me ... in final i wan't to use hw guys
>>> output
>>> (ps7_* files) and build my software.
>>> At this point i think, i don't need the Vivado or Xilinx SDK at all ...
>>> just
>>> my ARM toolchain and u-boot. Fine.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> For the beginning i will use mmc (or maybe jtag). Finally i must use
>>> qspi. I
>>> think the QSPI support can be found on your github [1].
>>>
>>> I've downloaded [1] ... and run:
>>>
>>> ~/work/u-boot-zynq $ tools/zynq-boot-bin.py
>>> test.py -u <inputfile> -o <outputfile>
>>>
>>> What is the input file ?
>>> For my understanding, i need 2 input files (SPL and u-boot), or i'm wrong
>>> ?
>>
>> See this wiki [1] and just try qspi as well and let me know for any
>> questions.
>>
>> [1] http://www.openedev.com/wiki/Main_Page
>>
>> thanks!
>
> Hi Jagan,
>
> many thanks - with your help i got it work :-)
> I tried both, mainline u-boot and which one from openedev.
>
> I observed a little issue on both versions.
> If i type "reset" or press the SRST_B button i get:
>
> U-Boot SPL 2015.07-rc3-g0cf5d8d (Sep 18 2015 - 11:22:16)
> mmc boot
> zynq_sdhci_init: sdhci_host malloc fail
> MMC Device 0 not found
> spl: mmc device not found
> ### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###
>

> if i simple power on or press the POR_B button it works as expected:
>
> U-Boot SPL 2015.07-rc3-g0cf5d8d (Sep 18 2015 - 11:22:16)
> mmc boot
> reading system.dtb
> spl_load_image_fat_os: error reading image system.dtb, err - -1
> reading u-boot-dtb.img
> reading u-boot-dtb.img
>

> U-Boot 2015.07-rc3-g0cf5d8d (Sep 18 2015 - 11:23:17 +0200)
>
> Model: Zynq ZC702 Board
> I2C:   ready
> DRAM:  ECC disabled 1 GiB
> MMC:   zynq_sdhci: 0