* leds: inconsistent use of EXPORT_SYMBOL_* macros
@ 2015-09-29 13:35 Jacek Anaszewski
From: Jacek Anaszewski @ 2015-09-29 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: Linux LED Subsystem, lkml

Hi Linus,

In drivers/leds/led-core.c some symbols are exported with
EXPORT_SYMBOL and other with EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL macros.

It seems that this mess wasn't introduced intentionally, but rather
carelessly, as in case of led_blink_set() and led_stop_software_blink()
functions, where the former, which enables blinking, is exported with
EXPORT_SYMBOL, and the latter, which disables blinking, with
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL.

It is also worth of noting that all symbols in drivers/led/led-class.c
are exported with EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL, which implies that it is not
possible to register LED class device with non-GPL API, which in
turn rather eliminates non-GPL users of led-core API.

I'd like just confirm that in this case we are permitted to
switch to using EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL consequently in the LED core.

--
Best Regards,
Jacek Anaszewski

only message in thread, other threads:[~2015-09-29 13:35 UTC | newest]