* [Buildroot] Development flow to track .config
@ 2023-01-31 19:32 Ramon Crichlow
From: Ramon Crichlow @ 2023-01-31 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

What would be best practice for saving changes to the top level .config
file using a private git repo?

The issue is that since .config is listed in .gitignore , git will not
track changes to .config.  Secondly if make [config file] is run, changes
will be lost.

Assume that

# make abc_defconfig

was used to initially create .config

Is the following flow best practice?  If not please suggest a better one.

1.  Make a change to .config using make menuconfig
2.  Diff the change between .config and .config.old
3.  Edit abc_defconfig to mirror the changes in step 2
4.  Commit abc_defconfig

Regards,
Ramon

* Re: [Buildroot] Development flow to track .config
@ 2023-01-31 21:36 ` Edgar Bonet
From: Edgar Bonet @ 2023-01-31 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ramon Crichlow, buildroot

Hello!

Ramon Crichlow wrote:
> Is the following flow best practice?  If not please suggest a better one.
>
> 1.  Make a change to .config using make menuconfig
> 2.  Diff the change between .config and .config.old
> 3.  Edit abc_defconfig to mirror the changes in step 2
> 4.  Commit abc_defconfig

Not sure it's the best, but here is what I do:

1. git switch -c 'my-custom-branch'
2. make some_board_defconfig
3. make nconfig # or your preferred variant of menuconfig, save and exit
4. make savedefconfig # this will save the relevant changes to some_board_defconfig
5. git commit -a -m 'My custom changes to some_board_defconfig'

Best regards,

Edgar.

* Re: [Buildroot] Development flow to track .config
@ 2023-01-31 21:58   ` Ramon Crichlow
From: Ramon Crichlow @ 2023-01-31 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edgar Bonet; +Cc: buildroot

Didn't know about make savedefconfig - thanks!

Ramon

@ 2023-02-06  9:28   ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2023-02-06  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edgar Bonet, Ramon Crichlow, buildroot

On 31/01/2023 22:36, Edgar Bonet wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Ramon Crichlow wrote:
>> Is the following flow best practice?  If not please suggest a better one.
>>
>> 1.  Make a change to .config using make menuconfig
>> 2.  Diff the change between .config and .config.old
>> 3.  Edit abc_defconfig to mirror the changes in step 2
>> 4.  Commit abc_defconfig
>
> Not sure it's the best, but here is what I do:
>
> 1. git switch -c 'my-custom-branch'
> 2. make some_board_defconfig
> 3. make nconfig # or your preferred variant of menuconfig, save and exit
> 4. make savedefconfig # this will save the relevant changes to some_board_defconfig

  If you want to start from scratch instead of an existing defconfig, or if you
want to save with a different filename, you can use

make savedefconfig BR2_DEFCONFIG=/path/to/defconfig/file

  Regards,
  Arnout