* should layers define BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY ?= "1"?
@ 2015-11-02 17:54 Robert P. J. Day
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2015-11-02 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

  perusing the meta-musl layer, and noticed in layer.conf the line:

BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY ?= "1"

i thought this was a bit odd since (at least to me) it seems like the
sort of thing a *developer* might set in their local.conf to
temporarily deal with a dangling .bbappend file -- it never occurred
to me that it would be appropriate for a layer to define that value
itself as an inherent part of its own ... layerness.

  a quick grep of the couple dozen layers i have checked out revealed
two layers that do that:

./meta-musl/conf/layer.conf:BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY ?= "1"
./meta-yocto-kernel-extras/meta-kernel-dev/conf/layer.conf:BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY
?= "true"

  i'm curious what others think of this approach.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: should layers define BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY ?= "1"?
@ 2015-11-02 18:01 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2015-11-02 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: yocto

Hi Robert,

On Monday 02 November 2015 12:54:33 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   perusing the meta-musl layer, and noticed in layer.conf the line:
>
> BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY ?= "1"
>
> i thought this was a bit odd since (at least to me) it seems like the
> sort of thing a *developer* might set in their local.conf to
> temporarily deal with a dangling .bbappend file -- it never occurred
> to me that it would be appropriate for a layer to define that value
> itself as an inherent part of its own ... layerness.
>
>   a quick grep of the couple dozen layers i have checked out revealed
> two layers that do that:
>
> ./meta-musl/conf/layer.conf:BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY ?= "1"
> ./meta-yocto-kernel-extras/meta-kernel-dev/conf/layer.conf:BB_DANGLINGAPPEND
> S_WARNONLY ?= "true"
>
>   i'm curious what others think of this approach.

I'd say no, they shouldn't really. As a user of the layer you might not
realise that it's making this change to your configuration.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: should layers define BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY ?= "1"?
@ 2015-11-02 18:03 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2015-11-02 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 2015-11-02 10:54, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>    perusing the meta-musl layer, and noticed in layer.conf the line:
>
> BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY ?= "1"
>
> i thought this was a bit odd since (at least to me) it seems like the
> sort of thing a *developer* might set in their local.conf to
> temporarily deal with a dangling .bbappend file -- it never occurred
> to me that it would be appropriate for a layer to define that value
> itself as an inherent part of its own ... layerness.
>
>    a quick grep of the couple dozen layers i have checked out revealed
> two layers that do that:
>
> ./meta-musl/conf/layer.conf:BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY ?= "1"
> ./meta-yocto-kernel-extras/meta-kernel-dev/conf/layer.conf:BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY
> ?= "true"
>
>    i'm curious what others think of this approach.

Sounds dangerous, bordering on incorrect (or irresponsible) to me.
This could easily mask a problem and is not layer specific, i.e.
the warning would then apply to all layers, not just meta-musl.

* Re: should layers define BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY ?= "1"?
@ 2015-11-02 21:37 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2015-11-02 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   perusing the meta-musl layer, and noticed in layer.conf the line:
>
> BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY ?= "1"

should be avoided although meta-musl is a bit core in nature.
this is so that it can interface with several different compilers
coming from different layers and also different oe-core releases can
work with same branch of meta-musl.
 one may not have same layers attached to it. Ideally, those patches
should now become part
of the original layers as they have been accepted in gcc upstream and
so on. Hopefully as I will take
this into oe-core in coming months this should disappear.

@ 2015-11-03 11:15   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2015-11-03 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015, Khem Raj wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> >   perusing the meta-musl layer, and noticed in layer.conf the line:
> >
> > BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY ?= "1"
>
> should be avoided although meta-musl is a bit core in nature.
> this is so that it can interface with several different compilers
> coming from different layers and also different oe-core releases can
> work with same branch of meta-musl.
>  one may not have same layers attached to it. Ideally, those patches
> should now become part
> of the original layers as they have been accepted in gcc upstream and
> so on. Hopefully as I will take
> this into oe-core in coming months this should disappear.

  ok, that's fair ... i didn't consider this a major issue, i just
thought it was a bit odd.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca