* relationship of fio versus gfio
@ 2015-11-06  8:54 Martin Steigerwald
From: Martin Steigerwald @ 2015-11-06  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio; +Cc: Jens Axboe

Hello Jens, hello fio community.

During package review of my new fio package my reviewer raised the question of
the relationship between gfio and fio. I already also wondered about it
before.

Can gfio be used on a system, without fio installed? My guess would be yes: As
fio could be running on another machine as a server.

Also currently I have it that gfio is linked against the same libraries as
fio. Is a complete fio engine included in gfio?

Martin Steigerwald  | Consultant / Trainer

teamix GmbH
Südwestpark 43
90449 Nürnberg

Tel.:  +49 911 30999 55 | Fax: +49 911 30999 99
mail: martin.steigerwald@teamix.de | web:  http://www.teamix.de | blog: http://blog.teamix.de

Amtsgericht Nürnberg, HRB 18320 | Geschäftsführer: Oliver Kügow, Richard Müller

teamix Support Hotline: +49 911 30999-112

 *** Besuchen Sie uns vom 16.-19.11.2015 auf der NetApp Insight im CityCube in Berlin auf Stand A5. ***

* Re: relationship of fio versus gfio
@ 2015-11-09 22:01 ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2015-11-09 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Steigerwald, fio

On 11/06/2015 01:54 AM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hello Jens, hello fio community.
>
> During package review of my new fio package my reviewer raised the question of
> the relationship between gfio and fio. I already also wondered about it
> before.
>
> Can gfio be used on a system, without fio installed? My guess would be yes: As
> fio could be running on another machine as a server.

That is correct.

> Also currently I have it that gfio is linked against the same libraries as
> fio. Is a complete fio engine included in gfio?

There was a plan to more cleanly separate them, as the client frontends
need not link with all the nitty gritty details as the backend. But the
amount of effort required to get that cleaner meant that it didn't
really happen. It's not difficult, it's just a lot of manual work in
establishing the code boundaries between the two.

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: relationship of fio versus gfio
@ 2015-11-10 10:25   ` Martin Steigerwald
From: Martin Steigerwald @ 2015-11-10 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe; +Cc: fio

Am Montag, 9. November 2015, 15:01:04 CET schrieb Jens Axboe:
> On 11/06/2015 01:54 AM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hello Jens, hello fio community.
> >
> > During package review of my new fio package my reviewer raised the
> > question of the relationship between gfio and fio. I already also
> > wondered about it before.
> >
> > Can gfio be used on a system, without fio installed? My guess would be
> > yes: As fio could be running on another machine as a server.
>
> That is correct.

Thanks. My sponsor Sven just uploaded the debian package to unstable.

> > Also currently I have it that gfio is linked against the same libraries as
> > fio. Is a complete fio engine included in gfio?
>
> There was a plan to more cleanly separate them, as the client frontends
> need not link with all the nitty gritty details as the backend. But the
> amount of effort required to get that cleaner meant that it didn't
> really happen. It's not difficult, it's just a lot of manual work in
> establishing the code boundaries between the two.

I see.

I also wondered about doing some Qt Quick based frontend for fio, but never
got along starting it. Also it would be redoing work that is already done

@ 2015-11-10 15:20     ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2015-11-10 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Steigerwald; +Cc: fio

On 11/10/2015 03:25 AM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Montag, 9. November 2015, 15:01:04 CET schrieb Jens Axboe:
>> On 11/06/2015 01:54 AM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>>> Hello Jens, hello fio community.
>>>
>>> During package review of my new fio package my reviewer raised the
>>> question of the relationship between gfio and fio. I already also
>>> wondered about it before.
>>>
>>> Can gfio be used on a system, without fio installed? My guess would be
>>> yes: As fio could be running on another machine as a server.
>>
>> That is correct.
>
> Thanks. My sponsor Sven just uploaded the debian package to unstable.
>

>>> Also currently I have it that gfio is linked against the same libraries as
>>> fio. Is a complete fio engine included in gfio?
>>
>> There was a plan to more cleanly separate them, as the client frontends
>> need not link with all the nitty gritty details as the backend. But the
>> amount of effort required to get that cleaner meant that it didn't
>> really happen. It's not difficult, it's just a lot of manual work in
>> establishing the code boundaries between the two.
>
> I see.
>
> I also wondered about doing some Qt Quick based frontend for fio, but never
> got along starting it. Also it would be redoing work that is already done
> (gfio).

That'd be great, though. gtk isn't very portable, one of the goals of
the gui frontend was to have something that people on OSX/Windows could
also use without having to resort to a command line.

--
Jens Axboe