* Realtek RTL8192DU Driver and Android LOllipop
@ 2015-11-09 10:49 anjalik
From: anjalik @ 2015-11-09 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: backports

Hi ,

  I am working on a project on Android Lollipop and I need to use
Realtek Wi-Fi Driver RTL8192DU . The Linux kernel version used in
Android LOllipop is 3.10.53. And I am getting compile time error
during the ko file generation due to many deperecated APIS used in the
driver.

Have u released or worked on Realtek Wi-Fi Driver RTL8192DU for the
above mentioned Linux kernel?

Awaiting for the reply.

Thanks & Regards,
Anjali

* Re: Realtek RTL8192DU Driver and Android LOllipop
@ 2015-11-09 16:23 ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2015-11-09 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anjalik, backports

On 11/09/2015 04:49 AM, anjalik@iwavesystems.com wrote:
> Hi ,
>
>   I am working on a project on Android Lollipop and I need to use Realtek Wi-Fi
> Driver RTL8192DU . The Linux kernel version used in Android LOllipop is 3.10.53.
> And I am getting compile time error during the ko file generation due to many
> deperecated APIS used in the driver.
>
> Have u released or worked on Realtek Wi-Fi Driver RTL8192DU for the above
> mentioned Linux kernel?

Backports can only backport drivers that are in the kernel. For several reasons,
the driver for RTL8192DU has never been submitted for inclusion.

The vendor driver for your device has been updated for later kernels and posted
at http://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8192du.git. If that one does not build on your
3.10 kernel, please report an issue for it at GitHub.

Larry

* Re: Realtek RTL8192DU Driver and Android LOllipop
@ 2015-11-11 11:32   ` anjalik
From: anjalik @ 2015-11-11 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Finger; +Cc: backports

Hi,

  Thanks for the quick response. The driver is working fine. I tested
Open, WEP mode and WPA2 is yet to be tested since iwpriv is not
working as it is deprecated. I would like to ask a query regarding the
firmware

1.Which is the firmware to be used ,rtl8192dufw.bin or rtl8192dufw_wol.bin ?

I guess the firmware is rtl8192dufw.bin or do both the binaries
together take care of firmware functionalities.?

In the previous driver which I used,the firmware image was embedded
one. Even without using the above binaries , everything is working
fine. Is it really required to copy these binaries under
system/lib/firmware path.?

I am using Dual Band USB 2.O Wi-Fi Adaptor with RTL8192DU chipset.

Thanks & Regards,
Anjali

@ 2015-11-11 16:55     ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2015-11-11 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anjalik; +Cc: backports

On 11/11/2015 05:32 AM, anjalik@iwavesystems.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Thanks for the quick response. The driver is working fine. I tested Open, WEP
> mode and WPA2 is yet to be tested since iwpriv is not working as it is
> deprecated. I would like to ask a query regarding the firmware
>
> 1.Which is the firmware to be used ,rtl8192dufw.bin or rtl8192dufw_wol.bin ?
>
> I guess the firmware is rtl8192dufw.bin or do both the binaries together take
> care of firmware functionalities.?
>
> In the previous driver which I used,the firmware image was embedded one. Even
> without using the above binaries , everything is working fine. Is it really
> required to copy these binaries under system/lib/firmware path.?
>
> I am using Dual Band USB 2.O Wi-Fi Adaptor with RTL8192DU chipset.

The "wol" part is for Wake On Lan. You need to configure the source specially to
use that feature, which I have not tested. I expect that you only need
rtl8192dufw.bin.

The firmware files came from the embedded data in the Realtek standard driver.
When submitting a driver for inclusion in the kernel, having embedded firmware
is frowned upon, thus the reason for extracting it. If you use the driver
version after the firmware was removed, then you need the firmware in the
standard path.

Larry

* Re: Realtek RTL8192DU Driver and Android LOllipop
@ 2015-11-11 17:15     ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2015-11-11 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anjalik; +Cc: backports

On 11/11/2015 05:32 AM, anjalik@iwavesystems.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Thanks for the quick response. The driver is working fine. I tested Open, WEP
> mode and WPA2 is yet to be tested since iwpriv is not working as it is
> deprecated. I would like to ask a query regarding the firmware
>
> 1.Which is the firmware to be used ,rtl8192dufw.bin or rtl8192dufw_wol.bin ?
>
> I guess the firmware is rtl8192dufw.bin or do both the binaries together take
> care of firmware functionalities.?
>
> In the previous driver which I used,the firmware image was embedded one. Even
> without using the above binaries , everything is working fine. Is it really
> required to copy these binaries under system/lib/firmware path.?
>
> I am using Dual Band USB 2.O Wi-Fi Adaptor with RTL8192DU chipset.

The firmware with "wol" in its name is for Wake-On-Lan operation. The feature
requires special configuration, and I have not tested it. At startup, the driver
will load one or the other. If WOL is not enabled, only the regular firmware
will be used. I extracted both versions before I eliminated the embedded data.

Adding a driver with embedded firmware to the standard kernel is frowned upon
due to the several thousand lines of data. That is the reason that I extracted
the firmware, and converted the driver to use external firmware. If your version
of the driver has been converted, then you need at least the standard firmware
in the /lib/firmware/ tree.

Larry

* Re: Realtek RTL8192DU Driver and Android LOllipop
@ 2015-11-12  5:40       ` anjalik
From: anjalik @ 2015-11-12  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Finger; +Cc: backports

Hi,

  I am currently working with the firmware copied to the
"system/lib/firmware/rtlwifi/" path in the target SD card. So from
your mail I understood that the firmware must not be omitted .(but
still wondering how it worked without the firmware in my initial
testing.)

Thank you for the explanation provided for the querries.

@ 2015-11-28  6:58       ` anjalik
From: anjalik @ 2015-11-28  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Finger; +Cc: backports

Hi ,

  I have a doubt regarding the WPS support in the driver u shared.

  I was testing WPS Push button, the device connected once with the AP
and it was pinging fine too. But later the connection is getting
disconnected immediately ,hardly within seconds. I captured the frames
and the sequence number has some variation from normal working case
(My android phone and the same AP).

AP sends EAPOL key packey to client with sequence number 0

Client sends EAPOL key packet to cleint with sequence number 1
(working case it is zero)

Again the AP sends EAPOl key packet with sequence number 1

But Client sends EAPOL key packet with sequence number 2 (working case
it is 1)

I am not able to find out the exact reason for the DEAUTH event
received right after the connection. The sniffer capture showing the
reason as "Unspecified reason".

Awaiting for your suggestion .