* DFS Master Region
@ 2015-11-12 22:19 Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2015-11-12 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

I'm trying to understand a problem that some users are having with the 5G band
when using rtl8821ae. One of them sees the following output from cfg80211:

cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
cfg80211:  DFS Master region: unset
cfg80211:   (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp),
(dfs_cac_time)
cfg80211:   (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
cfg80211:   (2457000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
cfg80211:   (2474000 KHz - 2494000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 80000 KHz, 160000 KHz AUTO), (N/A, 2000
mBm), (N/A)
cfg80211:   (5250000 KHz - 5330000 KHz @ 80000 KHz, 160000 KHz AUTO), (N/A, 2000
mBm), (0 s)
cfg80211:   (5490000 KHz - 5730000 KHz @ 160000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (0 s)
cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
cfg80211:   (57240000 KHz - 63720000 KHz @ 2160000 KHz), (N/A, 0 mBm), (N/A)
ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'rtl_rc'
cfg80211: Regulatory domain changed to country: CA
cfg80211:  DFS Master region: FCC
cfg80211:   (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp),
(dfs_cac_time)
cfg80211:   (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 3000 mBm), (N/A)
cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 80000 KHz, 160000 KHz AUTO), (N/A, 1700
mBm), (N/A)
cfg80211:   (5250000 KHz - 5330000 KHz @ 80000 KHz, 160000 KHz AUTO), (N/A, 2400
mBm), (0 s)
cfg80211:   (5490000 KHz - 5600000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 2400 mBm), (0 s)
cfg80211:   (5650000 KHz - 5730000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 2400 mBm), (0 s)
cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 3000 mBm), (N/A)
cfg80211: Regulatory domain changed to country: CA
cfg80211:  DFS Master region: FCC
cfg80211:   (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp),
(dfs_cac_time)
cfg80211:   (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 3000 mBm), (N/A)
cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 80000 KHz, 160000 KHz AUTO), (N/A, 1700
mBm), (N/A)
cfg80211:   (5250000 KHz - 5330000 KHz @ 80000 KHz, 160000 KHz AUTO), (N/A, 2400
mBm), (0 s)
cfg80211:   (5490000 KHz - 5600000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 2400 mBm), (0 s)
cfg80211:   (5650000 KHz - 5730000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 2400 mBm), (0 s)
cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 3000 mBm), (N/A)

The change from the "world regulatory domain" to CA should not cause any
problems. I do not understand why it switches to CA a second time, but I'm
confused as to why the "DFS Master Region" for CA is "FCC". On my system, when I
load cfg80211 using the option to set the regulatory domain to CA, my master
region is still unset.

Is this the source of the problem? On the above system, all 5G channels are
disabled. On my system, I get the expected passive scanning on channels 52-140,
but all 5G channels are enabled.

One other possible difference. My openSUSE system uses CRDA 1.1.3. The other box
runs Fedora 23 with an unknown version of CRDA.

Thanks,

Larry

* DFS Master Region
@ 2015-11-13 14:02 Xose Vazquez Perez
From: Xose Vazquez Perez @ 2015-11-13 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Finger, linux-wireless

Larry Finger wrote:

> I'm trying to understand a problem that some users are having with the 5G band
> when using rtl8821ae. One of them sees the following output from cfg80211:
> [...]
> One other possible difference. My openSUSE system uses CRDA 1.1.3. The other box
> runs Fedora 23 with an unknown version of CRDA.

Usually Fedora always brings latest software releases:
kernel-4.2.6-300.fc23.x86_64
crda-3.18_2015.10.22-1.fc23.x86_64 (crda-3.18 + wireless-regdb-2015.10.22)

You can try reproduce it in openSUSE with those releases.