* [BUG] TechniSat SkyStar S2 - problem tuning DVB-S2 channels
@ 2015-11-18 15:03 Robert
From: Robert @ 2015-11-18 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hello,

I am using a "TechniSat SkyStar S2" DVB-S2 card. Drivers for this card
are included in the kernel tree since 4.2. Unfortunately, i can't tune
to ANY DVB-S2 channels with this new in-tree driver. DVB-S channels are
working fine. Id[1] of the commit which introduced support for this card.

Before 4.2 arrived i have used this[2] patch with which DVB-S2 channels
where tuneable without any problems. This patch works even with 4.3
after i have converted the fe_ structs to enums.

If you need anything to debug this behaviour, i will be at your disposal.

Thanks,
Robert

[1] 5afc9a25be8d4e627cf07aa8a7500eafe3664b94
[2] http://vdr-portal.de/index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=34585

* Re: [BUG] TechniSat SkyStar S2 - problem tuning DVB-S2 channels
@ 2015-11-18 16:18 ` Jemma Denson
From: Jemma Denson @ 2015-11-18 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert, linux-media

Hi Robert,

On 18/11/15 15:03, Robert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using a "TechniSat SkyStar S2" DVB-S2 card. Drivers for this card
> are included in the kernel tree since 4.2. Unfortunately, i can't tune
> to ANY DVB-S2 channels with this new in-tree driver. DVB-S channels are
> working fine. Id[1] of the commit which introduced support for this card.
>
> Before 4.2 arrived i have used this[2] patch with which DVB-S2 channels
> where tuneable without any problems. This patch works even with 4.3
> after i have converted the fe_ structs to enums.
>
> If you need anything to debug this behaviour, i will be at your disposal.

What program are you using to try and tune? Is it trying to tune in
using DVB-S2? The "other" driver was done quite some while ago, and
included some clunky code to fallback to S2 if DVB-S tuning failed as it
was developed before the DVB API had support for supplying DVB-S2 as a
delivery system and this was the only way of supporting S2 back then.
This was removed in the in-tree driver as it isn't needed anymore, but
this does mean that the tuning program needs to supply the correct
delivery system.

Have you tried it with dvbv5-scan & dvbv5-zap?

Regards,

Jemma

* Re: [BUG] TechniSat SkyStar S2 - problem tuning DVB-S2 channels
@ 2015-11-18 19:08   ` Robert
From: Robert @ 2015-11-18 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi Jemma,

On 18.11.2015 17:18, Jemma Denson wrote:
> What program are you using to try and tune? Is it trying to tune in
> using DVB-S2? The "other" driver was done quite some while ago, and
> included some clunky code to fallback to S2 if DVB-S tuning failed as it
> was developed before the DVB API had support for supplying DVB-S2 as a
> delivery system and this was the only way of supporting S2 back then.
> This was removed in the in-tree driver as it isn't needed anymore, but
> this does mean that the tuning program needs to supply the correct
> delivery system.
>
> Have you tried it with dvbv5-scan & dvbv5-zap?

Normally i'm using kaffeine, but i have tried dvbv5-scan now.
Unfortunately it segfaults. I have attached the full output including
the backtrace [1]

Greetings,
Robert

[1]
https://paste.linuxlounge.net/?c3886ef444f9aa37#2ah2g19a9CfJMA/pBDikwoWj7S4AG2slhacWjXy8jEo=

* Re: [BUG] TechniSat SkyStar S2 - problem tuning DVB-S2 channels
@ 2015-11-18 19:39     ` David Jedelsky
From: David Jedelsky @ 2015-11-18 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert,

I'm not sure whether it helps, but if your card is based on az6027, as
is my USB TechniSat SkyStar 2 HD CI, then attached patch could be
helpful. I had to create it to get DVB-S2 working on my device.
http://djed.cz/az6027-i2c.patch

Regards,
David

PS: trying to send once more with link instead of attachment (as
linuxmedia list rejected my previous mail)

@ 2015-11-19  9:29     ` Jemma Denson
From: Jemma Denson @ 2015-11-19  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert, linux-media, Patrick Boettcher

Hi Robert,

On 18/11/15 19:08, Robert wrote:
> Normally i'm using kaffeine, but i have tried dvbv5-scan now.
> Unfortunately it segfaults. I have attached the full output including
> the backtrace [1]

I can't help with the segfault I'm afraid, but looking at that log it is
definitely not managing to lock to any of the DVB-S2 transponders. The
driver does work fine on S2 for me, but I am only able to test on 28.2E.
Patrick did some testing on 19.2E so I'm going to cc him into this to
confirm it does work there on S2.

In the meantime it might be worth checking that it is being tuned with
the right parameters - I included some dynamic debug output to see what
it was being asked to do when tuning:

echo 'file cx24120.c func cx24120_set_frontend +pf' >
/sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control

This should output something like this in dmesg:

[2995692.044792] cx24120_set_frontend: i2c i2c-9: DVB-S2
[2995692.044799] cx24120_set_frontend: i2c i2c-9: delsys      = 6
[2995692.044802] cx24120_set_frontend: i2c i2c-9: modulation  = 9
[2995692.044805] cx24120_set_frontend: i2c i2c-9: frequency   = 1097000
[2995692.044808] cx24120_set_frontend: i2c i2c-9: pilot       = 0 (val =
0x40)
[2995692.044811] cx24120_set_frontend: i2c i2c-9: symbol_rate = 23000000
(clkdiv/ratediv = 0x03/0x06)
[2995692.044814] cx24120_set_frontend: i2c i2c-9: FEC         = 2
(mask/val = 0x00/0x0d)
[2995692.044817] cx24120_set_frontend: i2c i2c-9: Inversion   = 2 (val =
0x0c)

Hopefully from there it should be possible to see if it's being sent the
correct parameters.

Regards,

Jemma.