* RFC: teuthology field in commit messages
@ 2015-11-28 15:56 Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-11-28 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ceph Development

Hi Ceph,

An optional teuthology field could be added to a commit message like so:

teuthology: --suite rbd

to state that this commit should be tested with the rbd suite. It could be parsed by bots and humans.

It would make it easy and cost effective to run partial teuthology suites automatically on pull requests.

What do you think ?

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

* Re: RFC: teuthology field in commit messages
@ 2015-11-29 11:51 ` Joao Eduardo Luis
From: Joao Eduardo Luis @ 2015-11-29 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary, Ceph Development

On 11/28/2015 03:56 PM, Loic Dachary wrote:
> Hi Ceph,
>
> An optional teuthology field could be added to a commit message like so:
>
> teuthology: --suite rbd
>
> to state that this commit should be tested with the rbd suite. It could be parsed by bots and humans.
>
> It would make it easy and cost effective to run partial teuthology suites automatically on pull requests.
>
> What do you think ?

Can't we use git-notes for that instead?

I think this pollutes the history a bit. Especially considering this
sort of metadata isn't necessarily specific to a given diff.

Also should be considered that this is a field that may make sense today
but may not make much sense in 10, 15 years. And while we have quite a
few special-purpose fields (e.g., Fixes, Backport), those are currently
pretty explanatory and I believe will be still easily understandable in
a decade's time.

In any case, if there's absolutely no other way to do this and the other
folk thinks it's important to have this, I will certainly not be the
party pooper ;)

  -Joao

* Re: RFC: teuthology field in commit messages
@ 2015-11-29 14:58   ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-11-29 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joao Eduardo Luis, Ceph Development

Hi Joao,

On 29/11/2015 12:51, Joao Eduardo Luis wrote:
> On 11/28/2015 03:56 PM, Loic Dachary wrote:
>> Hi Ceph,
>>
>> An optional teuthology field could be added to a commit message like so:
>>
>> teuthology: --suite rbd
>>
>> to state that this commit should be tested with the rbd suite. It could be parsed by bots and humans.
>>
>> It would make it easy and cost effective to run partial teuthology suites automatically on pull requests.
>>
>> What do you think ?
>
> Can't we use git-notes for that instead?

It possible but few people understand how it works.

> I think this pollutes the history a bit. Especially considering this
> sort of metadata isn't necessarily specific to a given diff.

I think it is relevant in a permanent way. When running a suite, we do it on a given diff. For instance,
in a 10 commit pull request, we run the suite on the head of the branch, which will later become the second parent of the merge. Should we want to test at a later time, long after the pull request has been merged, we will be able to do it using the same suite.

> Also should be considered that this is a field that may make sense today
> but may not make much sense in 10, 15 years. And while we have quite a
> few special-purpose fields (e.g., Fixes, Backport), those are currently
> pretty explanatory and I believe will be still easily understandable in
> a decade's time.

It also holds for stable branches since we maintain stable branches for ceph-qa-suite as well. So, for backporting 3 commits from a given pull request, it will also help to know that the backport could also be tested with this specific suite. And if the suite is missing the test, it's also a good hint that this test needs to be backported as well.

> In any case, if there's absolutely no other way to do this and the other
> folk thinks it's important to have this, I will certainly not be the
> party pooper ;)

:-) FWIW, I think the Backport: field should not be used ( see http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph-releases/wiki/HOWTO_schedule_an_issue_for_backporting#Backport-field-in-the-commit-messages for the full rationale ). But I think the "teuthology" field being used *prior* to the pull request being merged makes sense and is a valuable addition to the commit history.

Cheers

--

@ 2015-11-29 20:08 ` John Spray
From: John Spray @ 2015-11-29 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Loic Dachary <loic@dachary.org> wrote:
> Hi Ceph,
>
> An optional teuthology field could be added to a commit message like so:
>
> teuthology: --suite rbd
>
> to state that this commit should be tested with the rbd suite. It could be parsed by bots and humans.
>
> It would make it easy and cost effective to run partial teuthology suites automatically on pull requests.
>
> What do you think ?

Hmm, we are usually testing things at the branch/PR level rather than
on the per-commit level, so it feels a bit strange to have this in the
commit message.

However, if a system existed that would auto-test things when I put
something magic in a commit message, I would probably use it!

John

@ 2015-11-29 20:25   ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-11-29 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Spray; +Cc: Ceph Development

On 29/11/2015 21:08, John Spray wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Loic Dachary <loic@dachary.org> wrote:
>> Hi Ceph,
>>
>> An optional teuthology field could be added to a commit message like so:
>>
>> teuthology: --suite rbd
>>
>> to state that this commit should be tested with the rbd suite. It could be parsed by bots and humans.
>>
>> It would make it easy and cost effective to run partial teuthology suites automatically on pull requests.
>>
>> What do you think ?
>
> Hmm, we are usually testing things at the branch/PR level rather than
> on the per-commit level, so it feels a bit strange to have this in the
> commit message.

Indeed. But what is a branch if not the HEAD commit ?

@ 2015-11-29 20:47     ` John Spray
From: John Spray @ 2015-11-29 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 8:25 PM, Loic Dachary <loic@dachary.org> wrote:

> On 29/11/2015 21:08, John Spray wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Loic Dachary <loic@dachary.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Ceph,
>>>
>>> An optional teuthology field could be added to a commit message like so:
>>>
>>> teuthology: --suite rbd
>>>
>>> to state that this commit should be tested with the rbd suite. It could be parsed by bots and humans.
>>>
>>> It would make it easy and cost effective to run partial teuthology suites automatically on pull requests.
>>>
>>> What do you think ?
>>
>> Hmm, we are usually testing things at the branch/PR level rather than
>> on the per-commit level, so it feels a bit strange to have this in the
>> commit message.
>
> Indeed. But what is a branch if not the HEAD commit ?

It's the HEAD commit, and its ancestors.  So in a typical PR (or
branch) there are several commits since the base (i.e. since master),
and perhaps only one of them has a test suite marked on it, or maybe
they have different test suites marked on different commits in the
branch.

It's not necessarily a problem, just something that would need to have
a defined behaviour (maybe when testing a PR collect the "teuthology:"
tags from all commits in PR, and run all the suites mentioned?).

John

@ 2015-11-29 21:25       ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-11-29 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Spray; +Cc: Ceph Development