* question on possible functionality...
@ 2015-12-16  0:20 Al Stone
From: Al Stone @ 2015-12-16  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Howdy.

I have run into a couple of cases now where is would like to do something
like the following:

   $ iasl --acpi-version=5.1 apic.asl

to build a 5.1-compliant FADT, as compared to:

   $ iasl apic.asl

which always expects a very recent definition of the tables being defined.

Is anyone working on such a thing?  Or has it been contemplated in the past
and discarded for some reason?

Thanks.

--
ciao,
al

* Re: question on possible functionality...
@ 2015-12-16  3:18 ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2015-12-16  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 05:20:22 PM Al Stone wrote:
> Howdy.
>
> I have run into a couple of cases now where is would like to do something
> like the following:
>
>    $ iasl --acpi-version=5.1 apic.asl
>
> to build a 5.1-compliant FADT, as compared to:
>
>    $ iasl apic.asl
>
> which always expects a very recent definition of the tables being defined.
>
> Is anyone working on such a thing?  Or has it been contemplated in the past
> and discarded for some reason?

CCing the ACPICA maintainers.

Thanks,
Rafael

* RE: question on possible functionality...
@ 2015-12-16 15:34   ` Moore, Robert
From: Moore, Robert @ 2015-12-16 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, this is supported. Change the FADT version number to 5, and remove the version 6 field (Hypervisor Identity) from the source.

[0004]                          Signature : "FACP"    [Fixed ACPI Description Table (FADT)]
[0004]                       Table Length : 00000114
[0001]                           Revision : 05

@ 2015-12-16 20:47     ` Al Stone
From: Al Stone @ 2015-12-16 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moore, Robert, Rafael J. Wysocki

On 12/16/2015 08:34 AM, Moore, Robert wrote:
> Yes, this is supported. Change the FADT version number to 5, and remove the version 6 field (Hypervisor Identity) from the source.
>
> [0004]                          Signature : "FACP"    [Fixed ACPI Description Table (FADT)]
> [0004]                       Table Length : 00000114
> [0001]                           Revision : 05

Ooops.  My bad.  I thought I had sent this to the ACPICA devel
list.  Sorry about the noise...

Thanks, Bob.  I hadn't thought about doing it that way, but it's
pretty obvious now that you mention it.  I guess I was thinking
about this from the other way around -- I would tell iasl what
spec release, and it would tell me that Revision X was required
for that table for that version of the spec, and then tell me
if I missed (or added) fields inappropriate to that version.

--
ciao,
al