* clustered MD - beyond RAID1
@ 2015-12-18 15:29 Scott Sinno
From: Scott Sinno @ 2015-12-18 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: neilb, linux-raid; +Cc: Knister, Aaron S. (GSFC-606.2)[COMPUTER SCIENCE CORP]

Neil(or anyone well informed in mdadm development roadmaps),

	Aaron and myself are engineers at NASA Goddard with strong interest in
MDADM.  We currently host 6PB(raw) of live JBOD storage leveraging MDADM
exclusively for RAID functionality.

	We're very interested in Clustered MDADM to improve data-availability
in the environment, but note that only RAID1 is currently supported.
Are there plans in the nearish-term(say over the next year) to expound
clustered bitmap functionality to RAID5/6, or anything else you can
divulge on that front?  Thanks in advance for any guidance.

* clustered MD - beyond RAID1
@ 2016-12-02 18:12 Robert Woodworth
From: Robert Woodworth @ 2016-12-02 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Excuse me for being late to the party on this subject, but is the idea of
clustered RAID5/6 alive or dead?

I have a need for such a feature. I'm in development on SAS JBODs with
large drive counts, 60 and 90 drives per JBOD. We would like to support
multi-host connectivity in an active/active fashion with MD RAID60.  This
clustered MD RAID can and should be a nice alternative to HW RAID solutions
like LSI/Avago "Syncro" MegaRAID.

I currently have the hardware and time to help develop and test the
clustered RAID5/6.
I just finished up building a test cluster of 2 nodes with the cluster-md
RAID1.  Worked fine with gfs2 on top.

My current real job is firmware on these SAS JBODS. I have many years of
Linux experience and have developed (years ago) some kernel modules for a
custom FPGA based PCIe cards.