* Activate DVI-I behind KVM on FX 5200
@ 2016-01-05  3:08 Thomas Richter
       [not found] ` <568B339D.2090102-Jqd5/X81recL63KmMnjC+CEWGD4kr0XT@public.gmane.org>
From: Thomas Richter @ 2016-01-05  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Hi folks,

I don't seem to be able to enable the DVI-I output of an old FX 5200
behind a KVM switch. Autodetection works fine if the FX 5200 DVI output
is switched to the monitor, but when it is not, I have not found a way
to force-enable it.

Here is what I tried:

*) used the video=DVI-I-1:1280x1024-24@60e kernel parameter
(framebuffer still sits at 1024x768)

*) used "options drm_kms_helper edid-firmware=edid/edid.bin"
in /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf. "no initrd here, drm-kms-helper.ko is
loaded during bootstrap)

*) downloaded the edid from the monitor and validated its correctness.
I placed the edid data into /lib/firmware/edid/edid.bin, and added the
module option "options drm_kms_helper edid-firmware=edid/edid.bin"

as one can see from
"/sys/module/drm_kms_helper/parameters/edid_firmware", the parameter is
accepted, but does not resolve the problem. Framebuffer stays at
1024x768, and "xinit" does not give any display.

Any hints appreciated. It would be very helpful to have a working display.

Greetings,
	Thomas

* Re: Activate DVI-I behind KVM on FX 5200
       [not found] ` <568B339D.2090102-Jqd5/X81recL63KmMnjC+CEWGD4kr0XT@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-01-05 10:41   ` poma
       [not found]     ` <568B9DCE.8080407-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: poma @ 2016-01-05 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: richter-Jqd5/X81recL63KmMnjC+CEWGD4kr0XT,
	nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 05.01.2016 04:08, Thomas Richter wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I don't seem to be able to enable the DVI-I output of an old FX 5200
> behind a KVM switch. Autodetection works fine if the FX 5200 DVI output
> is switched to the monitor, but when it is not, I have not found a way
> to force-enable it.
>
> Here is what I tried:
>
> *) used the video=DVI-I-1:1280x1024-24@60e kernel parameter
> (framebuffer still sits at 1024x768)
>
> *) used "options drm_kms_helper edid-firmware=edid/edid.bin"
> in /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf. "no initrd here, drm-kms-helper.ko is
> loaded during bootstrap)
>
> *) downloaded the edid from the monitor and validated its correctness.
> I placed the edid data into /lib/firmware/edid/edid.bin, and added the
> module option "options drm_kms_helper edid-firmware=edid/edid.bin"

append to kernel cmdline:
drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=DVI-I-1:edid/edid.bin

$ cat /proc/cmdline

@ 2016-01-05 13:47       ` Thomas Richter
       [not found]         ` <568BC959.3070109-Jqd5/X81recL63KmMnjC+CEWGD4kr0XT@public.gmane.org>
From: Thomas Richter @ 2016-01-05 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poma, nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Am 05.01.2016 um 11:41 schrieb poma:

> append to kernel cmdline:
> drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=DVI-I-1:edid/edid.bin
>
> $ cat /proc/cmdline
> ... drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=DVI-I-1:edid/edid.bin ...

Well, no banana. Yes, the kernel loads the edid, but the screen keeps
blank if I switch the monitor to the system after bootstrap. )-:

[   20.319271] [drm] Got external EDID base block and 0 extensions from
"edid/edid.bin" for connector "DVI-I-1"
[   20.347274] [drm] Got external EDID base block and 0 extensions from
"edid/edid.bin" for connector "DVI-I-1"

I also replaced that with the "dummy" edid/1280x1024.bin parameter, same
thing.

If I boot with the monitor connected, everything is fine. If I boot with
it disconnected, no chance.

I also tried to force the DVI connector on:

video=DVI-I-1:e

The result is that the kernel still loads the edid, but the screen
remains now blank all the time, even if I boot with the monitor connected.

Yes, it is really connected to DVI-I-1, at least according to xrandr
without the "video" parameter, and with the monitor connected.

@ 2016-01-05 18:43           ` poma
       [not found]             ` <568C0EE4.50307-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: poma @ 2016-01-05 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: richter-Jqd5/X81recL63KmMnjC+CEWGD4kr0XT,

On 05.01.2016 14:47, Thomas Richter wrote:
> Am 05.01.2016 um 11:41 schrieb poma:
>

>> append to kernel cmdline:
>> drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=DVI-I-1:edid/edid.bin
>>
>> $ cat /proc/cmdline
>> ... drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=DVI-I-1:edid/edid.bin ...
>>

> Well, no banana. Yes, the kernel loads the edid, but the screen keeps
> blank if I switch the monitor to the system after bootstrap. )-:
>
> [   20.319271] [drm] Got external EDID base block and 0 extensions from
> "edid/edid.bin" for connector "DVI-I-1"
> [   20.347274] [drm] Got external EDID base block and 0 extensions from
> "edid/edid.bin" for connector "DVI-I-1"
>
> I also replaced that with the "dummy" edid/1280x1024.bin parameter, same
> thing.
>
> If I boot with the monitor connected, everything is fine. If I boot with
> it disconnected, no chance.
>
> I also tried to force the DVI connector on:
>
> video=DVI-I-1:e
>
> The result is that the kernel still loads the edid, but the screen
> remains now blank all the time, even if I boot with the monitor connected.
>
> Yes, it is really connected to DVI-I-1, at least according to xrandr
> without the "video" parameter, and with the monitor connected.
>
> Greetings,
> 	Thomas

Try your luck here
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/dri-devel

BTW what is actual KVM switch device, vendor/product?

@ 2016-01-05 19:31               ` Thomas Richter
       [not found]                 ` <568C1A26.7010004-otB+qtk3XKcL63KmMnjC+CEWGD4kr0XT@public.gmane.org>
From: Thomas Richter @ 2016-01-05 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Hi,

> Try your luck here

The major problem is that there is no way to tell the nouveau kernel
module to enforce a specific output. There is a video=XXX kernel
parameter, but this only applies to the VGA framebuffer but not to the
nouveau framebuffer.

> BTW what is actual KVM switch device, vendor/product?

This is an ATEN CS22D. It is "supposed to remember the EDID data", but
frankly, it does not.

@ 2016-01-06  4:37                   ` poma
From: poma @ 2016-01-06  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Richter, nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 05.01.2016 20:31, Thomas Richter wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Try your luck here
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/dri-devel
>
> The major problem is that there is no way to tell the nouveau kernel
> module to enforce a specific output. There is a video=XXX kernel
> parameter, but this only applies to the VGA framebuffer but not to the
> nouveau framebuffer.

Tested,
in contrast to enablement, video=DVI-I-1:d becomes effective at the exact moment:
fb: switching to nouveaufb from VESA VGA

However this is a direct connection, without KVM switch.

>> BTW what is actual KVM switch device, vendor/product?
>
> This is an ATEN CS22D. It is "supposed to remember the EDID data", but
> frankly, it does not.

http://eservice.aten.com/eServiceCx/Common/FAQ/view.do?id=4746
"No, The CS22D/CS22U do not support Video Dynasync feature, it bypass's EDID."

@ 2016-01-06 14:33   ` poma
From: poma @ 2016-01-06 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: richter-Jqd5/X81recL63KmMnjC+CEWGD4kr0XT,
	nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 05.01.2016 04:08, Thomas Richter wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I don't seem to be able to enable the DVI-I output of an old FX 5200
> behind a KVM switch. Autodetection works fine if the FX 5200 DVI output
> is switched to the monitor, but when it is not, I have not found a way
> to force-enable it.
>
> Here is what I tried:
>
> *) used the video=DVI-I-1:1280x1024-24@60e kernel parameter
> (framebuffer still sits at 1024x768)

Tested here,

in "video=DVI-I-1:1280x1024-24@60e" directive
problematic are:

color depth (bpp) 24
-and-
'e' as "forced display enablement"

causing display -switching off- at the exact moment:
fb: switching to nouveaufb from VESA VGA

Contrairement à ce que,
these 3 examples have been successfully tested:

1.  video=DVI-I-1:1280x1024
2.  video=DVI-I-1:1280x1024@60
3.  video=DVI-I-1:1280x1024-16@60

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

# cat /proc/cmdline
... video=DVI-I-1:1280x1024 ...

# fbset -i

mode "1280x1024"
    geometry 1280 1024 1280 1024 32
    timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    accel true
    rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
endmode

Frame buffer device information:
    Name        : nouveaufb
    Address     : 0xd0006000
    Size        : 5242880
    Type        : PACKED PIXELS
    Visual      : TRUECOLOR
    XPanStep    : 1
    YPanStep    : 1
    YWrapStep   : 0
    LineLength  : 5120
    Accelerator : No

# dmesg -t | egrep fb:\ 0x
nouveau 0000:02:00.0: DRM: allocated 1280x1024 fb: 0x50000, bo ffff88007f5d2800

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

# cat /proc/cmdline
... video=DVI-I-1:1280x1024@60 ...

# fbset -i

mode "1280x1024"
    geometry 1280 1024 1280 1024 32
    timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    accel true
    rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
endmode

Frame buffer device information:
    Name        : nouveaufb
    Address     : 0xd0006000
    Size        : 5242880
    Type        : PACKED PIXELS
    Visual      : TRUECOLOR
    XPanStep    : 1
    YPanStep    : 1
    YWrapStep   : 0
    LineLength  : 5120
    Accelerator : No

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

# cat /proc/cmdline
... video=DVI-I-1:1280x1024-16@60 ...

# fbset -i

mode "1280x1024"
    geometry 1280 1024 1280 1024 16
    timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    accel true
    rgba 5/11,6/5,5/0,0/0
endmode

Frame buffer device information:
    Name        : nouveaufb
    Address     : 0xd0006000
    Size        : 2621440
    Type        : PACKED PIXELS
    Visual      : TRUECOLOR
    XPanStep    : 1
    YPanStep    : 1
    YWrapStep   : 0
    LineLength  : 2560
    Accelerator : No

Ref.
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt

p.s.
Can you paste here the output of these two oneliners:
$ cd /sys/class/drm ; ls -1d card0-* | sed s/card0-// | sort
$ xrandr | grep connected | awk '{print $1}' | sort