* Wireshark: Alfa AWUS036H not capturing TCP
@ 2016-01-12 11:56 Fulcrum Mike
From: Fulcrum Mike @ 2016-01-12 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi everybody

I am using Alfa AWUS036H usb Wifi device with Arch Linux (kernel 4.3.3)
to capture wifi traffic. I have setup an open access point which should
be easy to sniff. I tried for many days but couldn't catch any tcp data.
There were numerous protocols like 802.11 broadcasts, NBNS, UDP, ICMPv6,
ARP, SSDP, LLMNR etc but no tcp. Then I booted a live kali cd and
repeated the same procedure exactly. This time everything worked fine
and there was plentiful tcp traffic from multiple APs nearby.

My procedure: I put the device in monitor mode using 'airmon-ng start
wlan0'. Then start capturing data using 'airodump-ng wlan0mon' so I
start seeing info about nearby access points. At this stage I start data
capture on Wireshark. Here onwards, Kali gives loads of tcp data but
Arch doesn't capture a single tcp packet.

My question is: While both Arch and Kali systems are using the same
driver (rt2800usb version 2.3.0), why can't I capture tcp on Arch?

Regards

only message in thread, other threads:[~2016-01-12 11:56 UTC | newest]