* [Buildroot] Browser in kiosk mode
@ 2016-01-20 12:36 Marco Trapanese
From: Marco Trapanese @ 2016-01-20 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi, I'm asking some hints about which is the best solution in buildroot
to have a browser in kiosk mode with a whitelist.
I mean, a full-screen browser, with no way to change the settings, and a
list of allowable addresses.

Firefox has a couple of plugins to achieve that but it's not included
(yet?) in buildroot. I found this:

http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2012-September/058314.html

I guess it won't be included soon, because the patches are there since
2012. Anyway I will try to use them on the latest version.

Do you recommend other packages already provided in the current
buildroot version which I could use?
Thanks!
Marco

* [Buildroot] Browser in kiosk mode
@ 2016-01-20 12:55 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2016-01-20 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Marco,

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 13:36:58 +0100, Marco Trapanese wrote:
> Hi, I'm asking some hints about which is the best solution in buildroot
> to have a browser in kiosk mode with a whitelist.
> I mean, a full-screen browser, with no way to change the settings, and a
> list of allowable addresses.
>
> Firefox has a couple of plugins to achieve that but it's not included
> (yet?) in buildroot. I found this:
>
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2012-September/058314.html
>
> I guess it won't be included soon, because the patches are there since
> 2012. Anyway I will try to use them on the latest version.
>
> Do you recommend other packages already provided in the current
> buildroot version which I could use?

We have a package called qt-webkit-kiosk, maybe this would match what
you are looking for?

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Browser in kiosk mode
@ 2016-01-20 12:58   ` Marco Trapanese
From: Marco Trapanese @ 2016-01-20 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Il 20/01/2016 13:55, Thomas Petazzoni ha scritto:
> We have a package called qt-webkit-kiosk, maybe this would match what
> you are looking for? Thomas

Hi Thomas,
thank you! I didn't see that package. I will try it.
Best regards

* [Buildroot] Browser in kiosk mode
@ 2016-01-20 13:26 ` Gustavo Zacarias
From: Gustavo Zacarias @ 2016-01-20 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 20/01/16 09:36, Marco Trapanese wrote:

> Hi, I'm asking some hints about which is the best solution in buildroot
> to have a browser in kiosk mode with a whitelist.
> I mean, a full-screen browser, with no way to change the settings, and a
> list of allowable addresses.
>
> Firefox has a couple of plugins to achieve that but it's not included
> (yet?) in buildroot. I found this:
>
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2012-September/058314.html
>
> I guess it won't be included soon, because the patches are there since
> 2012. Anyway I will try to use them on the latest version.
>
> Do you recommend other packages already provided in the current
> buildroot version which I could use?
> Thanks!
> Marco

Hi.
You can do that with any browser using squid in transparent mode with a
whitelist, that way you're not tied to any particular solution (plugin,
addon).
Regarding which browser to use that will probably depend on which
features you want/need and which graphics platform you want to run it on
(example: X11, pure framebuffer, EGL, so on).
Regards.

* [Buildroot] Browser in kiosk mode
@ 2016-01-20 13:32   ` Marco Trapanese
From: Marco Trapanese @ 2016-01-20 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Il 20/01/2016 14:26, Gustavo Zacarias ha scritto:
> You can do that with any browser using squid in transparent mode with
> a whitelist, that way you're not tied to any particular solution
> (plugin, addon).
> Regarding which browser to use that will probably depend on which
> features you want/need and which graphics platform you want to run it
> on (example: X11, pure framebuffer, EGL, so on).

Interesting, thanks!
The best would be to run in framebuffer or eglfs because I already have
a working environment.
About the features, I think it should run javascripts and flash contents
because most websites use them. Of course, because the whitelist, we
will allow only trusted websites.

How do you think to avoid the user to change options?

* [Buildroot] Browser in kiosk mode
@ 2016-01-20 13:40     ` Gustavo Zacarias
From: Gustavo Zacarias @ 2016-01-20 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 20/01/16 10:32, Marco Trapanese wrote:

> About the features, I think it should run javascripts and flash contents
> because most websites use them. Of course, because the whitelist, we
> will allow only trusted websites.
>
> How do you think to avoid the user to change options?

Hi.
For flash you'll need to run in some x86 platform since it requires the
propietary binary flash plugin (there's gnash but it never went far
enough i believe). You'll also need X11 for it i think, and some
nsplugin-aware browser.
Well, squid in transparent proxy mode intercepts all http traffic so
there's no other way out if you lock down networking additionally via
iptables to avoid accessing some external proxy - browser settings won't
matter since the list is handled by squid itself in it's config file or
external acl file, or some other way via a helper program like squidguard.
See: http://www.webdnstools.com/articles/squid-proxy-whitelist
Regards.