* Status of "dma, x86, xen: reduce SWIOTLB usage in Xen guests" series
@ 2016-01-23 22:12 Sarah Newman
From: Sarah Newman @ 2016-01-23 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: David Vrabel

Greetings,

We are having problems related to mptsas and "swiotlb buffer is full" with the Xen4CentOS kernel (3.18). It looks like the last related work was
the series http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-12/msg00770.html back at the end of 2014 and I'm wondering if there are any plans
to revive the series.

The error with swiotlb has caused us a massive amount of problems. We set swiotlb=32768 on one server and are still seeing this error message on
occasion. If there's anything I can do to help please let me know.

--Sarah

* Re: Status of "dma, x86, xen: reduce SWIOTLB usage in Xen guests" series
@ 2016-01-25 10:47 ` David Vrabel
From: David Vrabel @ 2016-01-25 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sarah Newman, xen-devel

On 23/01/16 22:12, Sarah Newman wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We are having problems related to mptsas and "swiotlb buffer is full" with the Xen4CentOS kernel (3.18). It looks like the last related work was
> the series http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-12/msg00770.html back at the end of 2014 and I'm wondering if there are any plans
> to revive the series.

I should try and revive it...

> The error with swiotlb has caused us a massive amount of problems. We set swiotlb=32768 on one server and are still seeing this error message on
> occasion. If there's anything I can do to help please let me know.

As a workaround, you can give dom0 more than 4 GiB and then the driver
will set a 64-bit DMA mask.  I don't think the memory needs to populated
so something like dom0_mem=2GiB,max:4GiB might work.

David

* Re: Status of "dma, x86, xen: reduce SWIOTLB usage in Xen guests" series
@ 2016-01-27 22:20   ` Sarah Newman
From: Sarah Newman @ 2016-01-27 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Vrabel, xen-devel

On 01/25/2016 02:47 AM, David Vrabel wrote:
> On 23/01/16 22:12, Sarah Newman wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> We are having problems related to mptsas and "swiotlb buffer is full" with the Xen4CentOS kernel (3.18). It looks like the last related work was
>> the series http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-12/msg00770.html back at the end of 2014 and I'm wondering if there are any plans
>> to revive the series.

> As a workaround, you can give dom0 more than 4 GiB and then the driver
> will set a 64-bit DMA mask.  I don't think the memory needs to populated
> so something like dom0_mem=2GiB,max:4GiB might work.

4GiB RAM worked, though we may need to shuffle things around to put this into effect everywhere. Thanks.