* FW: default value for random_generator
@ 2016-01-27 12:21 Ruvinsky, Konstantin
From: Ruvinsky, Konstantin @ 2016-01-27 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

Hi,

In the description of random_generator=str in HowTo
( http://git.kernel.dk/?p=fio.git;a=blob;f=HOWTO;h=7c24c1b74296aa33cdff97eca9458defd291b6ca;hb=HEAD )
is not written now what is its default value.

Regards

* Re: FW: default value for random_generator
@ 2016-01-27 22:13 ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2016-01-27 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruvinsky, Konstantin, fio

On 01/27/2016 05:21 AM, Ruvinsky, Konstantin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the description of random_generator=str in HowTo
> ( http://git.kernel.dk/?p=fio.git;a=blob;f=HOWTO;h=7c24c1b74296aa33cdff97eca9458defd291b6ca;hb=HEAD )
> is not written now what is its default value.

$ fio --cmdhelp=random_generator

care to send a patch to add it to the HOWTO/man page?
     random_generator: Type of random number generator to use
                 type: string (opt=bla)
              default: tausworthe
         valid values: tausworthe Strong Tausworthe generator
                     : lfsr       Variable length LFSR
                     : tausworthe64 64-bit Tausworthe variant

Care to send a patch to update the HOWTO/man page?

--
Jens Axboe

* RE: FW: default value for random_generator
@ 2016-01-30 17:21   ` Ruvinsky, Konstantin
From: Ruvinsky, Konstantin @ 2016-01-30 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe, fio

Hi Jens,

Thanks for your answer. Sorry for delay - was OOO.
The patch is very simple: is necessary to add words ", this is the default value" after description of the tausworthe generator:

 999 random_generator=str    Fio supports the following engines for generating
1000                 IO offsets for random IO:
1001
1002                 tausworthe      Strong 2^88 cycle random number generator,
			        this is the default value.
1003                 lfsr            Linear feedback shift register generator
1004                 tausworthe64    Strong 64-bit 2^258 cycle random number
1005                                 generator

Could you please add it to one of your future commits, since I'm not familiar enough with patching?

Thank you.

@ 2016-01-31  5:04     ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2016-01-31  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruvinsky, Konstantin, fio

On 01/30/2016 10:21 AM, Ruvinsky, Konstantin wrote:
> Hi Jens,
>
> Thanks for your answer. Sorry for delay - was OOO.
> The patch is very simple: is necessary to add words ", this is the default value" after description of the tausworthe generator:
>

>   999 random_generator=str    Fio supports the following engines for generating
> 1000                 IO offsets for random IO:
> 1001
> 1002                 tausworthe      Strong 2^88 cycle random number generator,
> 			        this is the default value.
> 1003                 lfsr            Linear feedback shift register generator
> 1004                 tausworthe64    Strong 64-bit 2^258 cycle random number
> 1005                                 generator
>
> Could you please add it to one of your future commits, since I'm not familiar enough with patching?

Sure, I added a mention of that to the HOWTO and man page.

--
Jens Axboe