* Scaling the Number of Network Interfaces on Linux
@ 2016-02-10 11:15 Nicolas Dichtel
From: Nicolas Dichtel @ 2016-02-10 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roopa Prabhu, David Ahern; +Cc: netdev

David, Roopa,

to follow your talk at nedev11, I already proposed some times ago a patch to
remove sysctl, which was rejected. You can see the thread here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network/285840

Instead of removing completly the sysctl entries, another idea could be to
manage a group of interfaces which will share the same subtree.

Regards,
Nicolas

* Re: Scaling the Number of Network Interfaces on Linux
@ 2016-02-10 11:59 ` David Ahern
From: David Ahern @ 2016-02-10 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicolas.dichtel, Roopa Prabhu; +Cc: netdev

On 2/10/16 12:15 PM, Nicolas Dichtel wrote:
> to follow your talk at nedev11, I already proposed some times ago a
> patch to
> remove sysctl, which was rejected. You can see the thread here:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network/285840

Thanks for the reference. I'll take a look.

> Instead of removing completly the sysctl entries, another idea could be to
> manage a group of interfaces which will share the same subtree.

This come out from a side conversation as well -- for example to have
interfaces enslaved to a bridge or bond share the same devconf.

This is certainly possible to do and I can give it a look. The key point
is that we clearly need a means to lighten the overhead of a network
interface.

David

* Re: Scaling the Number of Network Interfaces on Linux
@ 2016-02-10 15:12   ` Nicolas Dichtel
From: Nicolas Dichtel @ 2016-02-10 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Ahern, Roopa Prabhu; +Cc: netdev

Le 10/02/2016 12:59, David Ahern a écrit :
> On 2/10/16 12:15 PM, Nicolas Dichtel wrote:
[snip]
>> Instead of removing completly the sysctl entries, another idea could be to
>> manage a group of interfaces which will share the same subtree.
>
> This come out from a side conversation as well -- for example to have interfaces
> enslaved to a bridge or bond share the same devconf.
It could also be interesting to have another way to group interfaces. For
example, group all ppp interfaces.

> This is certainly possible to do and I can give it a look. The key point is that
> we clearly need a means to lighten the overhead of a network interface.
Yes, I agree.