* fs/udf and udftools
@ 2016-02-10 21:29 Steve Kenton
From: Steve Kenton @ 2016-02-10 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Robert Howard

Is anyone maintaining these or am I about to volunteer for another job?

I'm having to dig into fs/udf and udftools/mkudffs as part of a project I'm working on.
It looks like both have been lacking in personal TLC for quite a while. The changes to
fs/udf seem to be tree wide VFS work but not updates to things like write support and
udftools seems to have been frozen for >10  years. Both ~work but I'd like to fix an
oops I'm getting in udftools and work on adding fallocate() support to fs/udf and then
feed it back to the community rather than let the changes bit rot locally.

Where to go from here? I've been reading LKML on marc: for years, mainly to see what Linus,
Al and a variable group of other people say/do but I've never done more than tinker with
the kernel locally. I'm using git for the project mentioned above but again am not an
expert but willing to learn. I'm not currently subscribed so please cc me if you could.

smk

* Re: fs/udf and udftools
@ 2016-02-11  1:56 ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2016-02-11  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Kenton, linux-kernel; +Cc: Robert Howard, Jan Kara

[add Jan Kara]

On 02/10/16 13:29, Steve Kenton wrote:
> Is anyone maintaining these or am I about to volunteer for another job?

CUrrent MAINTAINERS file says:

UDF FILESYSTEM
M:	Jan Kara <jack@suse.com>
S:	Maintained
F:	Documentation/filesystems/udf.txt
F:	fs/udf/

and that Doc. file says:

For the latest version and toolset see:
	http://linux-udf.sourceforge.net/

--
~Randy

* Re: fs/udf and udftools
@ 2016-02-11  2:19   ` Ken Moffat
From: Ken Moffat @ 2016-02-11  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: Steve Kenton, linux-kernel, Robert Howard, Jan Kara

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 05:56:16PM -0800, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> [add Jan Kara]
>
> On 02/10/16 13:29, Steve Kenton wrote:
> > Is anyone maintaining these or am I about to volunteer for another job?
>
> CUrrent MAINTAINERS file says:
>
> UDF FILESYSTEM
> M:	Jan Kara <jack@suse.com>
> S:	Maintained
> F:	Documentation/filesystems/udf.txt
> F:	fs/udf/
>
> and that Doc. file says:
>
> For the latest version and toolset see:
> 	http://linux-udf.sourceforge.net/

A bit of googling for udftools suggests that gentoo are maintaining
their build, debian have patches for gcc-4 and gcc-5 among others,
Fedora have their own patches, and Arch have some patches (which
might be the same as some of hte others, I did not look).

Looks like the normal "possibly abandonned, but still useful to some
people" software, where distros keep it building.

There may also be others.

Links -

https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/sys-fs/udftools/ChangeLog?view=markup

https://launchpad.net/debian/+source/udftools/+changelog

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/udftools.git/tree/

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/udftools/

> > I'm having to dig into fs/udf and udftools/mkudffs as part of a project I'm working on.
> > It looks like both have been lacking in personal TLC for quite a while. The changes to
> > fs/udf seem to be tree wide VFS work but not updates to things like write support and
> > udftools seems to have been frozen for >10  years. Both ~work but I'd like to fix an
> > oops I'm getting in udftools and work on adding fallocate() support to fs/udf and then
> > feed it back to the community rather than let the changes bit rot locally.
> >
> > Where to go from here? I've been reading LKML on marc: for years, mainly to see what Linus,
> > Al and a variable group of other people say/do but I've never done more than tinker with
> > the kernel locally. I'm using git for the project mentioned above but again am not an
> > expert but willing to learn. I'm not currently subscribed so please cc me if you could.
> >
> > smk
> >

> --
> ~Randy

* Re: fs/udf and udftools
@ 2016-02-11  3:45     ` Steve Kenton
From: Steve Kenton @ 2016-02-11  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Moffat, Randy Dunlap; +Cc: linux-kernel, Robert Howard, Jan Kara

On 02/10/2016 08:19 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 05:56:16PM -0800, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>> [add Jan Kara]
>>
>> On 02/10/16 13:29, Steve Kenton wrote:
>>> Is anyone maintaining these or am I about to volunteer for another job?

I guess I should have said "developing" rather than "maintaining" for
fs/udf since it's clear that someone has been keeping it running in-tree.
I started with udftools from source forge and then discovered that the
kernel udf driver does not support fallocate() which I was hoping to use.

Thanks for the pointer to Jan Kara. I'll see how he feels about patches
from the wilderness.

>> CUrrent MAINTAINERS file says:
>>
>> UDF FILESYSTEM
>> M:	Jan Kara <jack@suse.com>
>> S:	Maintained
>> F:	Documentation/filesystems/udf.txt
>> F:	fs/udf/
>>
>> and that Doc. file says:
>>
>> For the latest version and toolset see:
>> 	http://linux-udf.sourceforge.net/

Yes, that's where I started. The last release was 1.0.0b3 in 2004.
Which is what the Ubuntu 14.04LTS package reports as it's version too.

> A bit of googling for udftools suggests that gentoo are maintaining
> their build, debian have patches for gcc-4 and gcc-5 among others,
> Fedora have their own patches, and Arch have some patches (which
> might be the same as some of hte others, I did not look).
>
> Looks like the normal "possibly abandonned, but still useful to some
> people" software, where distros keep it building.

Yep, that's where my ~works came from.
Ah, thanks for the links. I'll pull them all together and see what's there.

smk

> There may also be others.
>
> Links -
>
> https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/sys-fs/udftools/ChangeLog?view=markup
>
> https://launchpad.net/debian/+source/udftools/+changelog
>
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/udftools.git/tree/
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/udftools/
>

>>> I'm having to dig into fs/udf and udftools/mkudffs as part of a project I'm working on.
>>> It looks like both have been lacking in personal TLC for quite a while. The changes to
>>> fs/udf seem to be tree wide VFS work but not updates to things like write support and
>>> udftools seems to have been frozen for >10  years. Both ~work but I'd like to fix an
>>> oops I'm getting in udftools and work on adding fallocate() support to fs/udf and then
>>> feed it back to the community rather than let the changes bit rot locally.
>>>
>>> Where to go from here? I've been reading LKML on marc: for years, mainly to see what Linus,
>>> Al and a variable group of other people say/do but I've never done more than tinker with
>>> the kernel locally. I'm using git for the project mentioned above but again am not an
>>> expert but willing to learn. I'm not currently subscribed so please cc me if you could.
>>>
>>> smk
>>>

>> --
>> ~Randy

* Re: fs/udf and udftools
@ 2016-02-11 10:03       ` Jan Kara
From: Jan Kara @ 2016-02-11 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Kenton
  Cc: Ken Moffat, Randy Dunlap, linux-kernel, Robert Howard, Jan Kara

On Wed 10-02-16 21:45:05, Steve Kenton wrote:
> On 02/10/2016 08:19 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 05:56:16PM -0800, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> >> [add Jan Kara]

> I guess I should have said "developing" rather than "maintaining" for
> fs/udf since it's clear that someone has been keeping it running in-tree.
> I started with udftools from source forge and then discovered that the
> kernel udf driver does not support fallocate() which I was hoping to use.
>
> Thanks for the pointer to Jan Kara. I'll see how he feels about patches
> from the wilderness.

So I don't have too much time for UDF. That's why I mostly fix bugs someone
reports, occasionally improve stuff or review patches others send but I
don't have time for development of new features for UDF.

> >> CUrrent MAINTAINERS file says:
> >>
> >> UDF FILESYSTEM
> >> M:	Jan Kara <jack@suse.com>
> >> S:	Maintained
> >> F:	Documentation/filesystems/udf.txt
> >> F:	fs/udf/
> >>
> >> and that Doc. file says:
> >>
> >> For the latest version and toolset see:
> >> 	http://linux-udf.sourceforge.net/
>
> Yes, that's where I started. The last release was 1.0.0b3 in 2004.
> Which is what the Ubuntu 14.04LTS package reports as it's version too.

Pali Rohar has recently startted a repo on github for udftools. It is at
https://github.com/pali/udftools

So userspace patches go to him.

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.com>
SUSE Labs, CR

* Re: fs/udf and udftools
@ 2016-02-11 15:30         ` Steve Kenton
From: Steve Kenton @ 2016-02-11 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kara; +Cc: Ken Moffat, Randy Dunlap, linux-kernel, Robert Howard, Jan Kara

On 02/11/2016 04:03 AM, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Wed 10-02-16 21:45:05, Steve Kenton wrote:

>> I guess I should have said "developing" rather than "maintaining" for
>> fs/udf since it's clear that someone has been keeping it running in-tree.
>> I started with udftools from source forge and then discovered that the
>> kernel udf driver does not support fallocate() which I was hoping to use.
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer to Jan Kara. I'll see how he feels about patches
>> from the wilderness.
>
> So I don't have too much time for UDF. That's why I mostly fix bugs someone
> reports, occasionally improve stuff or review patches others send but I
> don't have time for development of new features for UDF.

OK, I'll see what I can do and try not to bother you until stuff is working well.

>> Yes, that's where I started. The last release was 1.0.0b3 in 2004.
>> Which is what the Ubuntu 14.04LTS package reports as it's version too.
>
> Pali Rohar has recently startted a repo on github for udftools. It is at
> https://github.com/pali/udftools
>
> So userspace patches go to him.

Perfect! All of my googling  pointed to source forge but this is what I was hoping for.

smk