* Has rgw recently switched to deque usuage??
@ 2016-02-20 14:41 Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2016-02-20 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ceph Development

Hi,

With the last rebase I'm getting compilation errors on rgw stuff.
So I was wondering if deque usuage got included recently, or that I'm
running into a case where Clang doesn't like the way some code is used.
And GCC just compiles fine...

Any answer would be appriciated

--WjW

* Re: Has rgw recently switched to deque usuage??
@ 2016-02-20 21:33 ` Matt Benjamin
From: Matt Benjamin @ 2016-02-20 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Jan Withagen; +Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Willem,

A number of new features have merged, sure, and they make use of new primitives.  I haven't compiled with clang recently, mainly due to issues linking with gcc-compiled leveldb and rocksdb on Linux platforms.  For now, maybe you can send more specific info.

(I'll be able to try-build on FreeBSD at some point, probably, but not in the next day or so due to travel.)

Matt

> With the last rebase I'm getting compilation errors on rgw stuff.
> So I was wondering if deque usuage got included recently, or that I'm
> running into a case where Clang doesn't like the way some code is used.
> And GCC just compiles fine...
>
> Any answer would be appriciated
>
> --WjW

Matt Benjamin
Red Hat, Inc.
315 West Huron Street, Suite 140A
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48103

http://www.redhat.com/en/technologies/storage

tel.  734-707-0660
fax.  734-769-8938
cel.  734-216-5309

* Re: Has rgw recently switched to deque usuage??
@ 2016-02-20 22:15   ` Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2016-02-20 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Benjamin; +Cc: Ceph Development

On 20-2-2016 22:33, Matt Benjamin wrote:
> Hi Willem,
>
> A number of new features have merged, sure, and they make use of new
> primitives.  I haven't compiled with clang recently, mainly due to
> issues linking with gcc-compiled leveldb and rocksdb on Linux
> platforms.  For now, maybe you can send more specific info.
>
> (I'll be able to try-build on FreeBSD at some point, probably, but
> not in the next day or so due to travel.)

Hi Matt,

It turns out to be all about the order of includes and that Clang not
always sees eye to eye with GCC.
Right now I'm sort of reordering a lot includes rados/rgw headers in the
rgw/*cc files.
Probably too much reordering but first I want it to get it to compile.
:) After that lets see what was really needed.

Save travels,
--WjW

@ 2016-02-21  0:13     ` Matt Benjamin
From: Matt Benjamin @ 2016-02-21  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Jan Withagen; +Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Willem,

That's good news, but massive header re-ordering sounds suspicious.  Likely, there are just missing unix headers.

Matt

@ 2016-02-21  0:49       ` Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2016-02-21  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Benjamin; +Cc: Ceph Development

On 21-2-2016 01:13, Matt Benjamin wrote:
> Hi Willem,
>
> That's good news, but massive header re-ordering sounds suspicious.  Likely, there are just missing unix headers.

Well perhaps massive is the wrong word. And Clang is a lot more picky
than GCC....

Major problem is that compiling rgw modules complains with just about
all modules:
In file included from test/rgw/test_rgw_period_history.cc:14:
./rgw/rgw_period_history.h:24:16: error: use of undeclared identifier
'RGWPeriod'
    std::deque<RGWPeriod> periods;
               ^
Which is relieved by including:
#include "rgw_rados.h"
#include "rgw_period_puller.h"
#include "rgw_period_history.h"
#include "rgw_metadata.h"
In all complaining modules.
And needed to fix including ordering, where std::queue was called on
things not yet fully defined.

same for the modules in src/test....

--WjW

@ 2016-02-21 10:46       ` Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2016-02-21 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Benjamin; +Cc: Ceph Development

On 21-2-2016 01:13, Matt Benjamin wrote:
> Hi Willem,
>
> That's good news, but massive header re-ordering sounds suspicious.  Likely, there are just missing unix headers.

Overnight the build completed.
Now running gmake check.
If that gets to my normal level of PASSED of around 110 of 133 than I
commit the rgw changes and you can find that in my pull to comment about
and we take it from there.

@ 2016-02-21 11:00         ` Matt Benjamin
From: Matt Benjamin @ 2016-02-21 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Jan Withagen; +Cc: Ceph Development

sure, send github pull request tagged "rgw" when ready

Matt

@ 2016-02-21 13:18           ` Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2016-02-21 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Benjamin; +Cc: Ceph Development

On 21-2-2016 12:00, Matt Benjamin wrote:
> sure, send github pull request tagged "rgw" when ready

Second try in
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/7730

First one was on top of all my other FreeBSD changes, so I
tried making a new one passed on my master checkout.
But yoy still get all the other commits.

So you need to look at commit  8c4530f

--WjW

* Re: RGW include modifications to compile with Clang
@ 2016-02-22 15:12           ` Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2016-02-22 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Benjamin; +Cc: Ceph Development

On 21-2-2016 12:00, Matt Benjamin wrote:
> sure, send github pull request tagged "rgw" when ready

Hi,

It needed some hair pulling....

But the last for commits of #7730 generate a compilable version, for
both FreeBSD/Clang and Linux/GCC, for as far as I can see.

--WjW