* LCD with PWM backlight doesn't seem to work with atmel-hlcdc driver
@ 2016-01-11 18:38 Pedro Aguilar
From: Pedro Aguilar @ 2016-01-11 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pwm; +Cc: boris.brezillon

Hi,

I'm working on a custom board based on the Atmel sama5d3_ek. I have an
LCD (T430T01W01A from Cristal Clear Technology) that has a PWM backlight
and it should be supported in the device tree files (sama5d34ek_pda4)
and the panel_simple driver since it's compatible with the already
supported Innolux at043tn24.

When booting I see in the LCD the Atmel logo with some info, this means
that electrically the board and the LCD work fine.

I built the LCD modules (pwm_atmel_hlcdc, backlight, pwm_bl,
panel_simple and atmel_hlcdc_dc) out of the kernel and modprobe'd them
manually after booting:

# modprobe pwm_atmel_hlcdc
# modprobe backlight
# modprobe pwm_bl
backlight_device_register: name=backlight
# modprobe panel_simple
# modprobe atmel_hlcdc_dc
[drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
[drm] No driver support for vblank timestamp query.
atmel-hlcdc-display-controller atmel-hlcdc-dc: DRM device successfully
registered
atmel-hlcdc-display-controller atmel-hlcdc-dc: fb0: frame buffer device
atmel-hlcdc-display-controller atmel-hlcdc-dc: registered panic notifier
#

When modprobing pwm_bl the LCD seemed to be turned-off (the logo from
uboot goes away) and the the PWM backlight is off.

I tried several user space programs (fb-set-rect and Qt5 examples built
with buildroot) but the LCD seemed dead. All the entries in sysfs, such
as /sys/class/backlight were present, but didn't work. For example, I
tried to power on/off the backlight

echo 1 > /sys/class/backlight/backlight/bl_power
echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/backlight/bl_power

but it didn't work. The same with the brightness.

The datasheet of this LCD and the Innolux LCD are equivalent.

It seems that there is something related to the voltage in the PWM
backlight or panel regulators?

Do you have any idea/hint of what could cause this issue?

Thanks!

--
Pedro Aguilar

* Re: LCD with PWM backlight doesn't seem to work with atmel-hlcdc driver
@ 2016-02-29 14:25 ` Pedro Aguilar
From: Pedro Aguilar @ 2016-02-29 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pwm

Hi,

Just to clarify that we solved this issue a couple of days after the
original email.

The problem was that we wanted to use for the LCD PWM (backlight) a
DIV_1 that the driver does not allow because of an issue with the Atmel
SAMA5D34 (the atmel-hlcdc driver handles it correctly, see section
60.4.1 in the datasheet).

With the other DIV_2-64 everything is working fine.

Regards.
--
Pedro Aguilar

Nethix s.r.l
Via dei Pini, 21
31033 Castelfranco Veneto (TV)
T. +39 0423 770750 - F. +39 0423 770749
www.nethix.com

This e-mail, including attachments if any, is privileged and
confidential, and is intended for the named recipient(s)only. Any form
of disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this
e-mail, including attachments is prohibited without prior permission and
could amount to a violation of civil and criminal laws and regulations.
If you have received this message by mistake, you are asked to inform
the sender and then to delete this message and any copies of it.
Although we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are
present in this email, we disclaim any liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email. Thank you for your cooperation.