* Publishing development releases
@ 2016-03-15  9:13 Loic Dachary
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Loic Dachary @ 2016-03-15  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhishek L, Abhishek Varshney, Nathan Cutler, Martin Palma, Chen,
	Xiaoxi, Vicente Cheng, Gaurav Bafna, Rajat Garg
  Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Abhishek V, Abhishek L, Swami, Nathan, Gaurav, Rajat, Martin, Xiaoxi, Vicente,

A few weeks ago, 10.0.3 was tagged for release, but packages were not published and these packages were missed by the Ceph user base. We, the members of the Stable Releases team, got to thinking how we could help.

This led to an idea that was discussed on the mailing list[1] and during CDM[2]. Since we were already building packages as a side effect of running teuthology suites on OpenStack, this could be extended into a full-fledged release process that would:

1. ensure that the community's demand for development releases is met
2. complement, not replace, the existing package publication workflow
3. be automated.

So I added a "release" subcommand to the ceph-workbench[3] tool we are already using to automate various backporting tasks. The new subcommand is included in the latest ceph-workbench release, and works like this:

             ceph-workbench release --suite buildpackages/any \
                         --ceph jewel \
                         --version 10.0.5 \
                         --filter ubuntu_14.04,centos_7.2

When it completes the packages can be uploaded to a permanent mirror similar to downloads.ceph.com.

I believe we can commit to publish Ceph development releases with this process. The "release" subcommand is relatively small (around 300 lines of code) and there are integration tests to help with its maintenance. There are enough of us to rotate the release duties so that it does not become too much of a burden for anyone.

Since it's a decision that changes our focus and our workload, are you OK with adding this activity to the scope of our team?

Cheers

[1] (Un)Stable release team http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg28887.html
[2] publishing development and unsupported releases http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph/wiki/CDM_02-MAR-2016
[3] ceph-workbench release merge request http://ceph-workbench.dachary.org/root/ceph-workbench/merge_requests/43/diffs#9f3ebf1fc38506b66593397f3baac514d515c496_231_232

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

* Re: Publishing development releases
@ 2016-03-15 20:08 ` Martin Palma
From: Martin Palma @ 2016-03-15 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary
  Cc: Abhishek L, Abhishek Varshney, Nathan Cutler, Chen, Xiaoxi,
	Vicente Cheng, Gaurav Bafna, Rajat Garg, Ceph Development

Hi all,

I'm OK with that and I personally think it is good to provide also
development releases to the community, which in the end will lead to a
broader testing before the actual release.

Best,
Martin

@ 2016-03-15 20:31 ` Nathan Cutler
       [not found]   ` <CAHDn051vzYxzqVUT=4KQc0FBwZK4C-XEBCRsw4+BihCTkvGORQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Nathan Cutler @ 2016-03-15 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary, Abhishek L, Abhishek Varshney, Martin Palma, Chen,
	Xiaoxi, Vicente Cheng, Gaurav Bafna, Rajat Garg
  Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Loic:

I, too, think this is a good idea and am willing to accept the extra
workload.

Nathan

On 03/15/2016 10:13 AM, Loic Dachary wrote:
> Hi Abhishek V, Abhishek L, Swami, Nathan, Gaurav, Rajat, Martin, Xiaoxi, Vicente,
>
> A few weeks ago, 10.0.3 was tagged for release, but packages were not published and these packages were missed by the Ceph user base. We, the members of the Stable Releases team, got to thinking how we could help.
>
> This led to an idea that was discussed on the mailing list[1] and during CDM[2]. Since we were already building packages as a side effect of running teuthology suites on OpenStack, this could be extended into a full-fledged release process that would:
>
> 1. ensure that the community's demand for development releases is met
> 2. complement, not replace, the existing package publication workflow
> 3. be automated.
>
> So I added a "release" subcommand to the ceph-workbench[3] tool we are already using to automate various backporting tasks. The new subcommand is included in the latest ceph-workbench release, and works like this:
>
>               ceph-workbench release --suite buildpackages/any \
>                           --ceph jewel \
>                           --version 10.0.5 \
>                           --filter ubuntu_14.04,centos_7.2
>
> When it completes the packages can be uploaded to a permanent mirror similar to downloads.ceph.com.
>
> I believe we can commit to publish Ceph development releases with this process. The "release" subcommand is relatively small (around 300 lines of code) and there are integration tests to help with its maintenance. There are enough of us to rotate the release duties so that it does not become too much of a burden for anyone.
>
> Since it's a decision that changes our focus and our workload, are you OK with adding this activity to the scope of our team?
>
> Cheers
>
> [1] (Un)Stable release team http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg28887.html
> [2] publishing development and unsupported releases http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph/wiki/CDM_02-MAR-2016
> [3] ceph-workbench release merge request http://ceph-workbench.dachary.org/root/ceph-workbench/merge_requests/43/diffs#9f3ebf1fc38506b66593397f3baac514d515c496_231_232

--
Nathan Cutler
Software Engineer Distributed Storage
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.
Tel.: +420 284 084 037

@ 2016-03-16  7:30     ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2016-03-16  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei-Chung Cheng, Nathan Cutler
  Cc: Abhishek L, Abhishek Varshney, Martin Palma, Chen, Xiaoxi,

On 16/03/2016 03:44, Wei-Chung Cheng wrote:
> Hi loic:
>
> agree!
> I think that is a good idea and would be helpful for our formal release.
> Also glad to accept the extra workload.
>
> btw, I could not see the `http://pad.ceph.com/p/development-releases` content.
> would I need to do something?

http://pad.ceph.com/p/development-releases

(there is an extra ` at the end that leads to a different document ;-)

--

@ 2016-03-16  8:43   ` Abhishek Lekshmanan
       [not found]     ` <CAP3mxSzuZyQ1038kO0-STJ-DUvph21aMa_8M1fWDMzSZJRyUjQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Abhishek Lekshmanan @ 2016-03-16  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Cutler
  Cc: Loic Dachary, Abhishek L, Abhishek Varshney, Martin Palma, Chen,
	Xiaoxi, Vicente Cheng, Gaurav Bafna, Rajat Garg,
	Ceph Development

Nathan Cutler writes:

> Hi Loic:
>
> I, too, think this is a good idea and am willing to accept the extra
> workload.
>
> Nathan

+1 I also agree, and it would be a benefit for the community as well.

Abhishek

@ 2016-03-16  9:57       ` Abhishek Varshney
From: Abhishek Varshney @ 2016-03-16  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary
  Cc: Nathan Cutler, Abhishek L, Martin Palma, Chen, Xiaoxi,
	Vicente Cheng, Gaurav Bafna, Rajat Garg, Ceph Development,
	Abhishek Lekshmanan

+ ceph-devel, in plain-text now.

@ 2016-03-16 10:22         ` M Ranga Swami Reddy
From: M Ranga Swami Reddy @ 2016-03-16 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhishek Varshney
  Cc: Loic Dachary, Nathan Cutler, Abhishek L, Martin Palma, Chen,
	Xiaoxi, Vicente Cheng, Gaurav Bafna, Rajat Garg,
	Ceph Development, Abhishek Lekshmanan

+1 from my side.

Thanks
Swami

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 3:27 PM, Abhishek Varshney

@ 2016-03-16 13:20 ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2016-03-16 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhishek L, Abhishek Varshney, Nathan Cutler, Martin Palma, Chen,
	Xiaoxi, Vicente Cheng, Gaurav Bafna, Rajat Garg
  Cc: Ceph Development

Hi,

It looks like we have a majority in favor, let's do it :-)

I took the first round with the publication of 10.0.5. Our rotation schedule was updated to add 10.1.0 (the next development release) http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph-releases/wiki/HOWTO#Whos-who and I set myself as a backup. If someone is willing to learn how to publish a dev release, I'll be happy to explain. It is now documented at http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph-releases/wiki/HOWTO_publish_a_release. There is no doubt things are missing but they can be fixed / documented as we make progress.

Cheers