* [Question] Linux 3.10 supporting AArch64 KVM
@ 2016-03-12 11:22 Fernando Endo
From: Fernando Endo @ 2016-03-12 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvmarm

Hello,

I'd like to know what kernel versions KVM is known to work for AArch64.
More specifically, if the Linux 3.10 of the Nvidia Tegra TX1 could support
KVM.

The released 3.10 kernel does not have the KVM flags enabled, so I suspect
that this version does not actually support KVM for AArch64.

Thanks in advance,

--
Fernando A. Endo, Post-doc

INRIA Rennes-Bretagne Atlantique
France

* Re: [Question] Linux 3.10 supporting AArch64 KVM
@ 2016-03-13 18:18 ` Christoffer Dall
From: Christoffer Dall @ 2016-03-13 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Endo; +Cc: kvmarm

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 12:22:17PM +0100, Fernando Endo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to know what kernel versions KVM is known to work for AArch64.
> More specifically, if the Linux 3.10 of the Nvidia Tegra TX1 could support
> KVM.
>
> The released 3.10 kernel does not have the KVM flags enabled, so I suspect
> that this version does not actually support KVM for AArch64.

I believe KVM for AArch64 was merged in 3.9, but it was a very early
version of the code, so I wouldn't recommend basing anything off that.

You could look at the backports for LSK 3.10
(https://git.linaro.org/?p=kernel/linux-linaro-stable.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linux-linaro-lsk-v3.10)
but I can't make any promises of the quality of that code.

Does the Tegra TX1 board you have even boot Linux in EL2 or haven an
open bootloader?  If not, I would expect this to be your biggest
troubles.

-Christoffer

* Re: [Question] Linux 3.10 supporting AArch64 KVM
@ 2016-03-15 11:43   ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2016-03-15 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoffer Dall, Fernando Endo; +Cc: kvmarm

On 13/03/16 18:18, Christoffer Dall wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 12:22:17PM +0100, Fernando Endo wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to know what kernel versions KVM is known to work for AArch64.
>> More specifically, if the Linux 3.10 of the Nvidia Tegra TX1 could support
>> KVM.
>>
>> The released 3.10 kernel does not have the KVM flags enabled, so I suspect
>> that this version does not actually support KVM for AArch64.
>
> I believe KVM for AArch64 was merged in 3.9, but it was a very early
> version of the code, so I wouldn't recommend basing anything off that.

That was KVM for AArch32. AArch64 support was merged in 3.11 IIRC. But I
wouldn't want to run anything based on this indeed. We've fixed so many
bugs it's not even funny!

> You could look at the backports for LSK 3.10
> (https://git.linaro.org/?p=kernel/linux-linaro-stable.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linux-linaro-lsk-v3.10)
> but I can't make any promises of the quality of that code.
>
> Does the Tegra TX1 board you have even boot Linux in EL2 or haven an
> open bootloader?  If not, I would expect this to be your biggest
> troubles.

I have seen traces indicating that the kernel is indeed entered at EL2.
Also, mainline seems to run on TX1, at least to some extent.

Fernando: if you're eager to try KVM on this system, mainline might be a
much better option (assuming you don't need any of the fancy stuff).

Thanks,

	M.