* ixgbe TX function selection
@ 2016-03-01 19:18 Zoltan Kiss
From: Zoltan Kiss @ 2016-03-01 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

I've noticed that ixgbe_set_tx_function() selects the non-SG function
even if (dev->data->scattered_rx == 1). That seems a bit dangerous, as
you can turn that on inadvertently when you don't set max_rx_pkt_len and
buffer size in certain ways. I've learnt it in the hard way, as my
segmented packets were leaking memory on the TX path, which doesn't
cries if you send out segmented packets.
How should this case be treated? Assert on the non-SG TX side for the
'next' pointer? Or turning on SG if RX has it? It doesn't seem to be a
solid way as other interfaces still can have SG turned on.

Regards,

Zoltan

* Re: ixgbe TX function selection
@ 2016-03-04  1:47 ` Lu, Wenzhuo
From: Lu, Wenzhuo @ 2016-03-04  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoltan Kiss, dev

Hi Zoltan,

Thanks for let us know the problem. But I don't catch your point. Do you really mean TX here? After a quick look at the code, I don’t find the SG/non-SG functions for TX. Do I miss something?

> (dev->data->scattered_rx == 1). That seems a bit dangerous, as you can turn
> that on inadvertently when you don't set max_rx_pkt_len and buffer size in
> certain ways. I've learnt it in the hard way, as my segmented packets were
> leaking memory on the TX path, which doesn't cries if you send out segmented
> packets.
Which one will cause problem? SG or non-SG packets? And where does the memory leak happen?

@ 2016-03-04 11:59   ` Zoltan Kiss
From: Zoltan Kiss @ 2016-03-04 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lu, Wenzhuo, dev

On 04/03/16 01:47, Lu, Wenzhuo wrote:
> Hi Zoltan,

The simple code path doesn't handle multisegmented packets.
ixgbe_txq_vec_setup() and ixgbe_xmit_pkts_simple() doesn't even check
the next pointer of the mbuf, just put the first one on the descriptor
ring, and when TX completion happens, the memory is leaked because it
just sets ->next to NULL, and calls rte_mempool_put[_bulk]
ixgbe_xmit_pkts() puts all the segments on the descriptor ring,
therefore when the descriptors are released they are released as well.
This is what these functions supposed to do, but my point is it's very
easy to send a multisegmented packet to the simple code path.

@ 2016-03-10  7:51 ` Wu, Jingjing
From: Wu, Jingjing @ 2016-03-10  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoltan Kiss, dev

Hi, Zoltan

If you look into the ixgbe_set_tx_function, you will find tx function
selection is decided by the tx_flags on queue configure, which is
passed by rte_eth_txconf. So even you set dev->data->scattered_rx to 1,
if the tx_flags is ETH_TXQ_FLAGS_NOMULTSEGS, ixgbe_xmit_pkts_simple is
still selected as tx function. So, you'd better to set tx_flags=0, and have a try.

@ 2016-03-17 17:10   ` Zoltan Kiss
From: Zoltan Kiss @ 2016-03-17 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wu, Jingjing, dev

On 10/03/16 07:51, Wu, Jingjing wrote:
> Hi, Zoltan

You mean getting default_txconf from rte_eth_dev_info_get() and
explicitly turn ETH_TXQ_FLAGS_NOMULTSEGS to 0? (filling tx_flags with
zeros doesn't work very well) That's a way to solve it for me, but I'm
rather talking about using defaults which doesn't cause memory leak
quite easily.

@ 2016-03-18  0:45     ` Lu, Wenzhuo
From: Lu, Wenzhuo @ 2016-03-18  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoltan Kiss, Wu, Jingjing, dev

Hi Zoltan,

Yes, ETH_TXQ_FLAGS_NOMULTSEGS only can be set to 1 when you know all your packets will not be segmented.
I think that means normally we should use full function path for TX, for we have no knowledge about if the packets will be segmented or not.
You don't need to set tx_flags to 0, only the ETH_TXQ_FLAGS_NOMULTSEGS bit should be 0, the other bits can be 1 if needed.

@ 2016-03-18 13:33       ` Zoltan Kiss
From: Zoltan Kiss @ 2016-03-18 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lu, Wenzhuo, Wu, Jingjing, dev

On 18/03/16 00:45, Lu, Wenzhuo wrote:
> Hi Zoltan,

So can we agree that the default settings should set

@ 2016-03-19 15:46         ` Ananyev, Konstantin
From: Ananyev, Konstantin @ 2016-03-19 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Zoltan Kiss', Lu, Wenzhuo, Wu, Jingjing, dev

Hi Zoltan,

I'd prefer to keep things as they are right now.
There always will be arguments and supporters for both alternatives:
Should the fastest or the most comprehensive path be the default one.
Again default txq_flags can vary from one PMD to another.
So, I think  the right behaviour for the app would be not to rely on default value
but set it up manually to the desired value.
Konstantin