* keyboard problem on linux
@ 2016-01-19 13:34 Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-01-19 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmitry.torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

[1.] i've a problem with keyboard of my notebook HP Pavilion 15 ab062nl;
CTRL SHIFT and ALT buttons not works as they should. in particular, it
is as if these keys are pressed and released alone.
isn't an hardware problem, because on windows 10 and windows 8.1 i
haven't these problems, is only a linux problem (all distro).

[2.] the bug is always active, every time i start a linux Distro (also
from live, and also without DE/WM) i've this problem with keyboard, the
only way to fix temporarily the bug, is pressing the only Left SHIFT key
for some seconds, then all problems disappear indefinitely, and in any
case, if i shutdown or if i reboot the PC, the problem recurs.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1532746

[4.] this is the output of "cat /proc/version" command using the last
mainline kernel version:

Linux version 4.4.0-040400-lowlatency (kernel@gomeisa) (gcc version
5.2.1 20151010 (Ubuntu 5.2.1-22ubuntu2) ) #201601101930 SMP PREEMPT Mon
Jan 11 00:38:46 UTC 201

[5.] i haven't Oops error messages

* Re: keyboard problem on linux
@ 2016-01-20  0:13 ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2016-01-20  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea; +Cc: linux-input

Hi Andera,

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 02:34:26PM +0100, Andrea wrote:
> [1.] i've a problem with keyboard of my notebook HP Pavilion 15
> ab062nl; CTRL SHIFT and ALT buttons not works as they should. in
> particular, it is as if these keys are pressed and released alone.
> isn't an hardware problem, because on windows 10 and windows 8.1 i
> haven't these problems, is only a linux problem (all distro).
>
> [2.] the bug is always active, every time i start a linux Distro
> (also from live, and also without DE/WM) i've this problem with
> keyboard, the only way to fix temporarily the bug, is pressing the
> only Left SHIFT key for some seconds, then all problems disappear
> indefinitely, and in any case, if i shutdown or if i reboot the PC,
> the problem recurs.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1532746

Hmm, this is weird. Do you observe the same issue in text console (not
in X)? It would be nice to see events as emitted by the kernel - you can
use evtest utility for that.

Is sounds like some accessibility feature, is there anything in BIOS to
that effect?

Thanks.

--
Dmitry

* Re: keyboard problem on linux
@ 2016-01-20  9:29   ` Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-01-20  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

Hi, Dmitry
i've the same problem on console without X.
this is an output of evtest on console:
http://pastebin.com/4aWYYhwN
(as you can see, after a while i'm pressing Left_Alt (from line 434 of
pastebin) or Left_Ctrl (from line 605 of pastebin) or Left_Shift (from
line 786 of pastebin), these keys are released and then pressed again.
but when i press only left_shift for some seconds, the issue don't occurs.)

i haven't found nothing on BIOS settings, the only options relative to
keyboard is:

Action Keys Mode:
[Enabled]: Requires pressing only F1 throug F12 to activate action keys
[Disabled]: Requires pressing FN Key + F1 throug F12 to activate action keys

but the problem occurs in both modes

@ 2016-01-27 20:52     ` Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-01-27 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

i've installed the new kernel 4.5 RC1, but i've the same problem.
i've also tried start ubuntu with upstart, same problem.
i don't know why i've this strange problem.

i've also tried GhostBSD on live (i don't know if this information can
be useful), the problems occurs also on BSD but seem that is less severe
than on Linux, because on BSD seems that the problem occurs only one
time every boot, then disappears without do nothing (don't need to press
MAIUSC key for some seconds).

I hope that this bug can be solved.

@ 2016-02-22 14:33       ` Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-02-22 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

the problem occurs also when i logout to login manager.

for example if in this moment i haven't the problem (because i've
pressed for some seconds MAIUSC key) and i logout, the problem occurs
again infact sometimes, when i logout, and then i try to login again,
the login manager doesn't accpet the password because the passowrd
contains uppercase letters, but sometimes the OS don't take maiusc key
(I hope I explained well)

i hope that this information can be useful.
thanks

@ 2016-02-23 12:45         ` Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-02-23 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

seems that when i play game (on steam), i haven't any problem when i'm
playing, but i'm not sure

@ 2016-03-01  8:21           ` Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-03-01  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

i'm not the only with this problem.
on HP forum, another user with the same notebook, has the same problem.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HP-Pavilion-15-ab062nl-SHIFT-CTRL-ALT-keys-problems-on-linux/m-p/5522283/highlight/false#M429851

@ 2016-03-02 13:38             ` Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-03-02 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

on launchpad an user with the same notebook and the same problems,
posted some results of keyboard events

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1532746/comments/11

i hope this can be usefult to fix the problem

@ 2016-03-21  9:35               ` Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-03-21  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

the problem still present also on kernel 4.5
and I noticed that after momentarily solved the issue pressing the LEFT
SHIFT key, if i press CAPS LOCK or BLOCK NUM keys, the problem came back
immediately.
on launchpad, there are other user with HP Pavilion 15, with the same
problem

I hope you can help me to fix the issue.

tell me if i can do something to help

thanks for help

@ 2016-04-13 11:43                 ` Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-04-13 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

i've installed linux kernel 4.6 RC3, but the problem persist
please give me some informations

@ 2016-04-19  7:24                   ` Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-04-19  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

when i'm into grub EDIT Selection (pressing E on grub interface) and
into GRUB CommandLine, i haven't these problems.

furthermore, i've tried to add to /etd/default/grub

i8042.nomux=1 i8042.reset i8042.direct

and the problem is almost solved, now when i start PC i haven't
problems, the problems occurs only 1 time when i press block num key or
block maiusc key, but then the problem disappear alone, without pressing
maiusc key for 2 seconds.

i hope that these information can be useful, and i hope that you will
answer me.

@ 2016-04-20  7:05                     ` Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-04-20  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

i've tried to add this parameter to kernel

i8042.direct

and in this way the problem disappears completely, but the caps lock LED
won't turn on.

so i think that there is a problem with the keyboard controller

@ 2016-06-24 13:32                       ` Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-06-24 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

after some months from my bug report, the problem isn't fixed... i'm
using linux 4.7rc4, but the problem still present