* upgrade daisy -> jethro
@ 2016-03-23  8:17 Ruben Schwarz
From: Ruben Schwarz @ 2016-03-23  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

we have a customized board with Texas Instruments AM335x Processor. It's
based on Beaglebone Black and EVM Starter Kit.

We have a working yocto-daisy image running U-Boot 2013.07 and Kernel 3.14.
No we want to upgrade to jethro, including U-Boot 2015.07 and Kernel 4.1.

What I did:
- Merging U-Boot Patches from 2013.07 to 2015.07.
  The board boots and ping to other machine is possible from U-Boot command
line.

- Building Kernel 4.1 with defconfig from Kernel 3.14
  This Kernel boots, but no network interfaces come up. *ip a* only shows
loopback interface. Device Tree files are the same as in Kernel 3.14

- Building Kernel 4.1 with omap2plus_defconfig
  This Kernel doesn't boot, it hangs after U-Boot procedure.

My Questions:
- Anybody here who did something similar? Any hint how to handle yocto
upgrades in general?
- Are there any changes in device tree from kernel 3.14 to 4.1?
- How can I check if the problem is u-boot specific (Hardware init), device
tree or kernel driver?
- Anybody here who has a running linux kernel 4.1 for beaglebone black?

And, more general:
- How do you handle yocto source upgrades in your products / systems? Code
freeze after development?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Ruben

--

Besuchen Sie unseren Chrome Webshop unter shop.cloudwuerdig.com

www.sotec.eu | www.cloudwuerdig.com
--
SOTEC Software Entwicklungs GmbH + Co Mikrocomputertechnik KG
Calwer Straße 11, D-75395 Ostelsheim

Der Inhalt dieser e-Mail ist ausschließlich für den bezeichneten Adressaten
bestimmt. Wenn Sie nicht der vorgesehene Adressat dieser e-Mail oder dessen
Vertreter sein sollten, so beachten Sie bitte, dass jede Form der
Kenntnisnahme, Veröffentlichung, Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe des
Inhalts dieser e-Mail unzulässig ist. Wir bitten Sie, sich in diesem Fall
mit dem Absender der e-Mail in Verbindung zu setzen.

The content of this e-mail is meant exclusively for the person to whom it
is addressed. If you are not the person to whom this e-mail is addressed or
his/her representative, please be informed, that any form of knowledge,
publication, duplication or distribution of the content of this e-mail is
inadmissible. We ask you, therefore, in such a case to please contact the
sender of this e-mail.

* Re: upgrade daisy -> jethro
@ 2016-03-23  8:41 ` Robert Berger
From: Robert Berger @ 2016-03-23  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi,

On 03/23/2016 10:17 AM, Ruben Schwarz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have a customized board with Texas Instruments AM335x Processor. It's
> based on Beaglebone Black and EVM Starter Kit.
>
> We have a working yocto-daisy image running U-Boot 2013.07 and Kernel
> 3.14. No we want to upgrade to jethro, including U-Boot 2015.07 and
> Kernel 4.1.

Why don't you get a beagle bone black and retry there?

Like this it would be easier to help, since we don't have your custom board.

I use a 4.4.x kernel with the mainline device tree am335x-boneblack.dtb
which works as well for a 4.1.x kernel.

Regards,

Robert
...WANTED: Schroedinger's Cat. Dead or Alive.

My public pgp key is available,at:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90320BF1