* Looking to pick PCIe x4/x8 4+ SATA expansion card recommendation.
@ 2016-03-28 18:44 Ram Ramesh
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ram Ramesh @ 2016-03-28 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Raid

Hi,

   I have upgraded my PC with new MB and it is begging to be made in to
full blown mdam server. I asked and got several recommendation for SATA
expansion cards. The recommendations typically go for PCIe x1-2port type
cards like this one
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-Express-SATA3-SATA3-0-6Gb-s-eSATA-SATA-III-Card-ASMEDIA1061-/231378681315

However, I am looking for something along PCIe x4/x8 with 4+ ports like
this one

> http://www.amazon.com/SAS9211-8I-8PORT-Int-Sata-Pcie/dp/B002RL8I7M
or (similar, but cheaper)
> ww.ebay.com/itm/like/252048579357?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Any one has any experience? Are there some other recommended ones along
this line. Basically, I am looking for non raid (I do not want pay for
the HW RAID component which I will not use) easy to use expansion card
with several ports that is reliable (I have this:
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124064 and it drops
hard drives the moment I stress it)

Ramesh

* Re: Looking to pick PCIe x4/x8 4+ SATA expansion card recommendation.
@ 2016-03-28 19:20 ` John Stoffel
From: John Stoffel @ 2016-03-28 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ram Ramesh; +Cc: Linux Raid

I'm using an LSI MPT2 PCIe controller myself and it's working great.
I paid around $150 on ebay a while ago for it, so the model you show
should be just fine.

I'd be careful about buying off Ebay unless you know EXACTLY what
you're getting.

And remember to buy the expander cables to go from the two ports on
the card, two two sets of four SATA controller cables.

* Re: Looking to pick PCIe x4/x8 4+ SATA expansion card recommendation.
@ 2016-03-28 19:25   ` John Stoffel
From: John Stoffel @ 2016-03-28 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Stoffel; +Cc: Ram Ramesh, Linux Raid

I just went back and checked, and I got the:

   LSI 9211 SAS9211-8i 8port low profile 6Gb/s SAS Host Bus Adapter

which was a DELL brand controller.  The 9207 is another model which is
also recommended, but this is from 2014 or even earlier.   There might
be newer models out there.

I paid $123 plus shipping.  Been very happy with it, not problems at
all.

* Re: Looking to pick PCIe x4/x8 4+ SATA expansion card recommendation.
@ 2016-03-28 19:35 ` Andreas Klauer
From: Andreas Klauer @ 2016-03-28 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ram Ramesh; +Cc: Linux Raid

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 01:44:33PM -0500, Ram Ramesh wrote:
> The recommendations typically go for PCIe x1-2port type cards

Well, an 8 port card (like HP H220 or similar) is a bit too
expensive if all you need is two more slots, and it's not
like mdadm is picky - anything goes, well, as long as it
meets minimum requirements (no I/O errors etc)...

If you're looking for something on an even larger scale,
maybe have a look at the Backblaze Storage Pod blog posts.
Although the hardware they use seems to be hard to get,
it might give you some ideas.

They actually use port multipliers, I actually wish they
were as widespread (and as cheap) as USB hubs, so we all
could simply put three or four disks to a single SATA port,
but alas...

Maybe next time.

Regards
Andreas Klauer

* Re: Looking to pick PCIe x4/x8 4+ SATA expansion card recommendation.
@ 2016-03-28 19:41 ` Phil Turmel
From: Phil Turmel @ 2016-03-28 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ram Ramesh, Linux Raid

Hi Ram,

On 03/28/2016 02:44 PM, Ram Ramesh wrote:
> The recommendations typically go for PCIe x1-2port type cards like
> this one
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-Express-SATA3-SATA3-0-6Gb-s-eSATA-SATA-III-Card-ASMEDIA1061-/231378681315

Marvell

chipsets have a mixed history  on this list.  The SATA models
have been nothing but trouble.  But I haven't heard much about them
lately.  Maybe someone else can comment on recent performance.

The marvell SAS models were also trouble until the kernel drivers got
some love in the past couple years.  They're fine with current kernels.
I ran one of them as a short-term boost for an old server until I built
my most recent media server.  It was 4.1 kernel I believe.  I don't have
a link to that card handy, sorry.  (I gave it to a family member.)

> However, I am looking for something along PCIe x4/x8 with 4+ ports
> like this one
>
>> http://www.amazon.com/SAS9211-8I-8PORT-Int-Sata-Pcie/dp/B002RL8I7M
> or (similar, but cheaper)
>> ww.ebay.com/itm/like/252048579357?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

LSI has a very good reputation on this list.  The above is likely to be
a very good choice.  I have a similar unit in my media server:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034DMSO6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Runs great.  I did replace the firmware with the "IT" version so it
would boot faster (no attempt to enable soft raid).

Phil

* Re: Looking to pick PCIe x4/x8 4+ SATA expansion card recommendation.
@ 2016-03-28 19:42   ` Ram Ramesh
From: Ram Ramesh @ 2016-03-28 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Klauer; +Cc: Linux Raid

On 03/28/2016 02:35 PM, Andreas Klauer wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 01:44:33PM -0500, Ram Ramesh wrote:
>> The recommendations typically go for PCIe x1-2port type cards
> Well, an 8 port card (like HP H220 or similar) is a bit too
> expensive if all you need is two more slots, and it's not
> like mdadm is picky - anything goes, well, as long as it
> meets minimum requirements (no I/O errors etc)...
>
> If you're looking for something on an even larger scale,
> maybe have a look at the Backblaze Storage Pod blog posts.
> Although the hardware they use seems to be hard to get,
> it might give you some ideas.
>
> They actually use port multipliers, I actually wish they
> were as widespread (and as cheap) as USB hubs, so we all
> could simply put three or four disks to a single SATA port,
> but alas...
>
> Maybe next time.
>
> Regards
> Andreas Klauer
Andreas,

   The two links I gave are about $120 and $80. If I used 2-port ones,
it will be too many (to get 8 ports) and my experience with marvell
chipset cards (4-port) was not good. So, I thought LSI 8-port is better
and reasonably priced. I also saw several feenas threads talking about
these cards working well in linux. Do you see risk in buying these as
they may not be what they claim to be?

@ 2016-03-28 19:43     ` Ram Ramesh
From: Ram Ramesh @ 2016-03-28 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Stoffel; +Cc: Linux Raid

On 03/28/2016 02:25 PM, John Stoffel wrote:
> I just went back and checked, and I got the:
>
>     LSI 9211 SAS9211-8i 8port low profile 6Gb/s SAS Host Bus Adapter
>
> which was a DELL brand controller.  The 9207 is another model which is
> also recommended, but this is from 2014 or even earlier.   There might
> be newer models out there.
>
> I paid $123 plus shipping.  Been very happy with it, not problems at
> all.
I searched your description and got this
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-9211-8i-6Gbps-8Port-PCI-Express-SATA-SAS-Host-Bus-Adapter-Hot-/380703631558

Is this the one you are talking about? In my message I mentions this,
> www.ebay.com/itm/like/252048579357?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Mine is cheaper, so it worries me (BTW, for LSI 9211-8i, the prices are
all over the place). Yours claims RAID capability (assuming IR firmware)
and the other seem to be no raid (may be IT firmware)

Both are from China, and like you say, not sure what I will get.

@ 2016-03-28 20:07       ` John Stoffel
From: John Stoffel @ 2016-03-28 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ram Ramesh; +Cc: John Stoffel, Linux Raid

Ram> On 03/28/2016 02:25 PM, John Stoffel wrote:
>> I just went back and checked, and I got the:
>>
>> LSI 9211 SAS9211-8i 8port low profile 6Gb/s SAS Host Bus Adapter
>>
>> which was a DELL brand controller.  The 9207 is another model which is
>> also recommended, but this is from 2014 or even earlier.   There might
>> be newer models out there.
>>
>> I paid $123 plus shipping.  Been very happy with it, not problems at
>> all.
Ram> I searched your description and got this
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-9211-8i-6Gbps-8Port-PCI-Express-SATA-SAS-Host-Bus-Adapter-Hot-/380703631558

Ram> Is this the one you are talking about? In my message I mentions this,
>> www.ebay.com/itm/like/252048579357?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

That looks very much how I remember mine.  Make sure you get a full
height bracket when you order, that was one of the things I had to
check as I recall now, since I have a full height tower system, not a
2U rack mounted system.

Ram> Mine is cheaper, so it worries me (BTW, for LSI 9211-8i, the
Ram> prices are all over the place). Yours claims RAID capability
Ram> (assuming IR firmware) and the other seem to be no raid (may be
Ram> IT firmware)

I just flashed the standard LSI firmware from their site as I recall.
I disabled any hardware RAID stuff as well.   Since I can't just
bounce the system to check, take what I say with a grain of salt.

Ram> Both are from China, and like you say, not sure what I will get.

I seem to recall I got it from someone in the US.

The other trick I did was to put all my data volumes on the LSI
controller, and just a pair of SSDs onto the internal SATA
controllers.  This way I know which devices I'll boot from, and it
made it simpler to know I had updated and setup GRUB properly.

You do want to test booting from a broken RAID1 boot device.  When I
recently did my big re-org, I found that to make it boot I had to move
the working boot drive to the non-working slot, since of course the
failed one was effectively /dev/first-drive and that's how grub needed
to boot.

John

* Re: Looking to pick PCIe x4/x8 4+ SATA expansion card recommendation.
@ 2016-03-28 21:03         ` Wols Lists
From: Wols Lists @ 2016-03-28 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Linux Raid

On 28/03/16 21:07, John Stoffel wrote:
> You do want to test booting from a broken RAID1 boot device.  When I
> recently did my big re-org, I found that to make it boot I had to move
> the working boot drive to the non-working slot, since of course the
> failed one was effectively /dev/first-drive and that's how grub needed
> to boot.

Your setup regime really should check that you install grub on ALL your
drives. Easier said than done though when adding new drives ... :-)

Cheers,
Wol