* [dm-crypt] Encrypted fs in file
@ 2016-04-03  4:07 doark
From: doark @ 2016-04-03  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Hello,
I wanted to make certain that I got this process right since I've never
done it before and I can't seem to find docs on the subject.

1. Cat /dev/zero into a new file till it is big enough.
2. Use cryptsetup on the file (format and open).
3. Use mkfs on the loop device.
4. Mount the loop device as if it were a block device.

Does this look correct to you?

Thanks, David

* Re: [dm-crypt] Encrypted fs in file
@ 2016-04-03  8:41 ` Matthias Schniedermeyer
From: Matthias Schniedermeyer @ 2016-04-03  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: doark; +Cc: dm-crypt

On 03.04.2016 00:07, doark@mail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I wanted to make certain that I got this process right since I've never
> done it before and I can't seem to find docs on the subject.
>
> 1. Cat /dev/zero into a new file till it is big enough.
> 2. Use cryptsetup on the file (format and open).
> 3. Use mkfs on the loop device.
> 4. Mount the loop device as if it were a block device.
>
> Does this look correct to you?

Nearly.

3) Not the loop device, but the dm-device, the loop it inbetween and is
handled automatically.

A symlink for the dm-device appears in /dev/mapper/ with the name you
provided for the open command.

Same for 4) You mount the dm-device

--

Matthias

* Re: [dm-crypt] Encrypted fs in file
@ 2016-04-03 16:03   ` Sven Eschenberg
From: Sven Eschenberg @ 2016-04-03 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

And regarding 1):

You might want to use dd for that and /dev/urandom. (Or use /dev/zero
and then zero out the inner device before creating the filesystem).

Regards

-Sven

@ 2016-04-03 23:57     ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2016-04-03 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Also refer to FAQ item 2.6
https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/wikis/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

The zeroing out of the mapped container is advisable
if this needs high security, i.e. is not just for
experiments.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@wagner.name