* windows vista enterpise in KVM and multi-core....
@ 2010-12-01 19:27 Erik Brakkee
From: Erik Brakkee @ 2010-12-01 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hi all,

I got KVM to run a windows vista enterprise installation. The problem
that I am seeing now is that windows vista is seeing only two processors
when I am in fact passing 8 (quad core hyperthreading). The issue seems
to be that the 8 virtual CPUs on my single physical CPU appear as 8
distinct processors on windows vista enterprise and that edition is
limited to two physical processors (see for instance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_editions#Comparison_chart).

Is there a way in which I can pass the 8 virtual CPUs to the vista image
in such a way that they appear as one CPU with 8 cores?

Cheers
   Erik

* Re: windows vista enterpise in KVM and multi-core....
@ 2010-12-01 20:34 ` Jernej Simončič
From: Jernej Simončič @ 2010-12-01 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Brakkee on [KVM]

On Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 20:27:00, Erik Brakkee wrote:

> Is there a way in which I can pass the 8 virtual CPUs to the vista image
> in such a way that they appear as one CPU with 8 cores?

From the man page:

-smp n[,cores=cores][,threads=threads][,sockets=sockets][,maxcpus=maxcpus]
    Simulate an SMP system with n CPUs. On the PC target, up to 255
    CPUs are supported. On Sparc32 target, Linux limits the number of
    usable CPUs to 4. For the PC target, the number of cores per
    socket, the number of threads per cores and the total number of
    sockets can be specified. Missing values will be computed. If any
    on the three values is given, the total number of CPUs n can be
    omitted. maxcpus specifies the maximum number of hotpluggable
    CPUs.

Basically, you want something like -smp 8,cores=8

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

The more ridiculous a belief system, the higher the probability of its success.
       -- Bartz's Law of Hokey Horsepuckery