* Additional ACPI requirements
@ 2016-04-27  3:38 Jon Masters
From: Jon Masters @ 2016-04-27  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi Folks,

There are a few requirements that I would like to ensure are documented
in various revised documentation. I'm curious to know whether you'd like
the current in-kernel documentation to include things at the level of
"GICv3 use requires that every processor have a Processor Device in the
DSDT". Is that too much detail for the kernel documentation?

Jon.

--
Computer Architect | Sent from my Fedora powered laptop

* Additional ACPI requirements
@ 2016-04-27 11:25 ` Mark Rutland
From: Mark Rutland @ 2016-04-27 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 11:38:07PM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> There are a few requirements that I would like to ensure are documented
> in various revised documentation. I'm curious to know whether you'd like
> the current in-kernel documentation to include things at the level of
> "GICv3 use requires that every processor have a Processor Device in the
> DSDT". Is that too much detail for the kernel documentation?

If this is about catching oversights and mistakes (as seems to be the
case for the example), having {boot,run}time checks in the kernel is
much more likely to have an impact, especially if there is a helpful
diagnostic.

Otherewise, this kind of requirement, if anything, belongs in the ACPI
spec. If it's in the ACPI spec, having it in the kernel is redundant. If
it's not in the ACPI spec, it will be an uphill struggle to convince
people to implement Linux-flavoured ACPI rather than generic, standard
ACPI.

Thanks,
Mark.

* [Linaro-acpi] Additional ACPI requirements
@ 2016-04-27 15:48   ` Al Stone
From: Al Stone @ 2016-04-27 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 04/27/2016 05:25 AM, Mark Rutland wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 11:38:07PM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> There are a few requirements that I would like to ensure are documented
>> in various revised documentation. I'm curious to know whether you'd like
>> the current in-kernel documentation to include things at the level of
>> "GICv3 use requires that every processor have a Processor Device in the
>> DSDT". Is that too much detail for the kernel documentation?
>
> If this is about catching oversights and mistakes (as seems to be the
> case for the example), having {boot,run}time checks in the kernel is
> much more likely to have an impact, especially if there is a helpful
> diagnostic.
>
> Otherewise, this kind of requirement, if anything, belongs in the ACPI
> spec. If it's in the ACPI spec, having it in the kernel is redundant. If
> it's not in the ACPI spec, it will be an uphill struggle to convince
> people to implement Linux-flavoured ACPI rather than generic, standard
> ACPI.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.

I would agree with Mark that this is more appropriate to the ACPI spec
where it can be fairly unambiguously described -- for example, something
along the lines of "for every processor ID used in an MADT subtable,
there must be a corresponding ACPI Device object with _HID ACPI0007...".

That being said, why should this be required?  MADT subtables may have
the info needed.

--
ciao,
al